Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 130 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2016, 03:15 PM - 12 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

The Squirrel Mafia's RawTherapee thread. Now with 50% more excellence & win!

Moderator's note: This thread is now obsolete, and superseded by the following thread with improved and up-to-date information:

The Squirrel Mafia's new & improved RawTherapee thread! - PentaxForums.com

Welcome to my RawTherapee thread!

What is RawTherapee? It's a free open-source RAW developing/editing program similar to Capture One, Lightroom, Darktable, Silkypix, PDCU, & related. It's non-destructive, meaning that it won't tamper with your RAW files. After developing a RAW file with RawTherapee, a .pp3 sidecar file will be saved next to the RAW file that was developed. This .pp3 file contains all the settings that you used to develop the RAW file. That .pp3 file will be used again when you open the same image. You can also use that .pp3 file on another image & use the exact same settings. If you delete the .pp3 file, the image will open back to the default settings in RawTherapee. This program runs on Windows, Linux, or Mac which makes it great for those that use multiple operating systems. You can also use RawTherapee to tweak jpegs, but GIMP or Photoshop are much better for editing jpegs. It doesn't categorize or catalogue your photos for you like Capture One or Lightroom, but you do get a lot of image processing options.

I have spent a lot of time toying around with RawTherapee. It's an awesome RAW editing program once you get the hang of it. There are a ton of options that can help or ruin an image, depending on what other settings you have going on.

Here are some quick samples of an out of camera ISO 6400 jpeg & a RawTherapee jpeg that was processed from the RAW file using the ISO 06400 amaze processing profile. I even included a couple of 100% crops to see it down to the pixel. You'll get an idea of what you can achieve with this program.

K-50 ISO 6400 OOC jpeg

K-50 ISO 6400 OOC pixel peep crop

K-50 ISO 6400 RawTherapee jpeg

K-50 ISO 6400 RawTherapee pixel peep crop

As you can see, the OOC jpeg is muddled up while the RawTherapee jpeg is cleaner, has more detail, & more color. That was done just using the ISO 06400 amaze processing profile without further tweaks. You can tweak it even further.

How do I get it? To start off, all you need to do is download RawTherapee from their site.

RawTherapee Downloads

^ Here is the link for the downloads. Just select your operating system/bit type & whether you want the newest version or the older stable version. Download, extract, & install. The stable version is rock solid, but the latest versions are also trouble free, are more updated, & have newer features. The newer versions also control higher ISO false color & color noise a bit better. Starting with version 4.2.642 for Windows, they have polished up the interface a bit with a new gtk3 code making it even easier to change settings.

I installed it, so now what? OK! it's time to install the processing profiles. There are 2 zip files with processing profiles attached to the bottom of this post. One is for the latest (development) version of RawTherapee & one is for the stable version. Download the version that you need & then extract the files. Make sure you use the correct processing profiles with the correct version or you will get some funky issues with the noise reduction in either one.

Once you are done, you will need to navigate to RawTherapee's "profiles" folder. Basically the path to the folder should look something like this.

C:\Program Files\RawTherapee\profiles - WINDOWS (need to have administrator privileges)
usr/share/rawtherapee/profiles - LINUX (need to have root privileges like using "gksudo nautilus" in Ubuntu for example)

Once you navigate to the "profiles" folder where you'll see "BW", "Faded", "Generic", etc. folders, place the Pentax folders inside the "profiles" folder. That is all.

If you can't install the profiles into that folder, then just manually load the profiles that you want to use by pressing the "folder" button right next that other large button on the upper right hand side when you're using RawTherapee.

But wait! What do the processing profiles do? They are a good starting point for developing pictures. Instead of fumbling around with the all the options trying to figure out the optimal setting, these profiles have the settings figured out for you. Once you select the appropriate ISO settings from the processing profiles, you can start tweaking color, exposure, or whatever else to your liking.

Why were these processing profiles created? For 2 reasons. One is that once you start getting past ISO 1600, the OOC jpegs leave much to be desired. The higher ISO OOC jpegs almost look "cartoon like" with artificially looking colors & "splotchy" texture with a lot of the fine details getting washed out. The other reason was to know the high ISO limits of my K-50 camera. I will gladly shoot up to ISO 6400 when I have to & go up to ISO 12800 in a pinch. Instead of trying to carry around a clumsy tripod or worry about high ISO noise, I can confidently raise the ISO to get the shot I want knowing that I'll at least be able to get a decent looking picture up to ISO 12800. Even ISO 25600 can produce an OK picture if I had to use it. This allows me to concentrate on getting the shot I want instead of worrying about the high ISO image quality.

How do they work? As you can see, there is a folder in zip file called AMAZE. The amaze demosaicing algorithm has produced the best results for me, but you can change the algorithm in the RAW tab to a different one. You can select one of the following algorithms: igv, lmmse, eahd, vng4, dcb, ahd, fast, mono, & none. It all depends on your preference, your camera, & higher ISO requirements.

The ISO 100 & 200 processing profiles don't get any noise reduction, but the chrominance noise reduction has been set for these 2 profiles in case you actually see any color noise. For the ISO 400 to ISO 51200 processing profiles, the color noise (chrominance) has been reduced, but the grain (luminance) has not. That is what keeps the fine detail. The grain is very pleasant looking & almost reminds you of old ISO 400 to ISO 1600 film. Impulse Noise Reduction has been turned on from ISO 3200 to ISO 51200.

What cameras can I use these on? Keep in mind I created these processing profiles with recent Pentax APS-C CMOS cameras in mind (K-20D, K-r, K-x, K-7, K-01, K-30, K-50, K-500, K-5, K-5II, K-5IIs, K-3, K-3II, K-S1, K-S2). These should work fine with all APS-C cameras from any brand. They will also work on CCD cameras.

If you are using these for the smaller Pentax Q mirrorless, you will have to compensate the stops. There is roughly a +-2 stop difference between the Pentax Q cameras & the recent Pentax APS-C cameras. For example, ISO 3200 on the Q-S1/Q7 is similar to ISO 12800 on the K-50. Therefore you would use the ISO 12800 processing profile for an ISO 3200 image from a Q camera. You can just rename the processing profiles to your specifications.

Same thing with the the full frame cameras. They are roughly +-2 stops better than APS-C. Like ISO 25600 on a full frame is roughly similar to ISO 6400 on APS-C. Therefore you would use the ISO 6400 processing profile on an ISO 25600 full frame image. You can just rename the processing profiles to your specifications.

The same would apply to other camera brands with similar sensors.

So how do I use them? Once you're in RawTherapee, go to the upper right hand side where you see the "Processing Profiles" area. If you were able to install them, you should be able to see them in the "Bundled profiles" when you click on it. If you weren't able to install them, you can manually load them by hitting the folder button right there on the upper right hand side. You then navigate to wherever you placed the processing files. Depending on the ISO, pick the corresponding processing profile & voila! You have a good starting point. Go to the different tabs & experiment a bit. Pixel peep your results if you want. Compare the high ISO images processed in RawTherapee to the jpegs out of your camera. I'm pretty sure that you'll like the results!

Remember, these are just starting points. What works for me, might not work for you. I use these processing profiles to get the most fine detail out of my K-50 camera. I can get up to 30x45 prints at low ISO & up to 24x36 black & white prints at ISO 6400. I'm all about getting the most detail out of the shot & I don't mind some luminance noise to get the fine detail. Your case might be different, but if you start with one of these processing profiles you'll have less things to figure out. All you would have to do is use a HaldCLUT film simulation, tweak color, noise reduction, sharpness, exposure, vignetting, & other settings to your liking.

If you guys have any tips & tricks or want to share your processing profiles, feel free to post them up! If you can tweak these profiles to produce even better results, I'm all for it too!

DNG Camera Profiles AKA .dcp files

There is a 3rd zip file containing 22 dcp files for various Pentax cameras. Only Pentax DSLR & mirorless cameras that create a DNG file natively were used. Most of the dcp files start with PENTAX. Some newer dcp files models start with RICOH PENTAX. Since all 22 DCP files together accumulate to a tiny 139kb size, you can basically dump all of them into the dcpprofiles folder. That or you can just pick out the one you need.

The processing profiles that I created are set to automatically look for the correct dcp file. Don't rename the dcp file unless you know what you're doing 'cause RawTherapee will default to "Camera standard" & then you will have to manually select it every single time if you don't set it.

The path to where you will place the files looks something like this:

C:\Program Files\RawTherapee\dcpprofiles - WINDOWS (need to have administrator privileges)
usr/share/rawtherapee/dcpprofiles - LINUX (need to have root privileges like using "gksudo nautilus" in Ubuntu for example)

You might get a confirmation about overwriting some of them. You can either overwrite or use these newer ones.

And there it is. OK! Have fun!

HaldColorLook-UpTable AKA HaldCLUT AKA Film Simulations

For those of you that want to play around even more, download the HaldCLUT.zip file from this location:

Index of /shared

^ It's kinda big at 402 MB.

Once you do, you will need to extract it somewhere where you plan on keeping it & not disturbing it. Then you open up RawTherapee, go to the settings on the lower left hand side, go to the "Imaging Processing" tab, & go down the the Film Simulation section & set the location of the folder. Restart RawTherapee, go to the color tab, scroll down to the Film Simulation section, & enable it. Now you get to pick out the film simulation that you want.

These are the options:
  • 66 black & white options from Agfa, Fuji, Illford, Kodak, Polaroid, & Rollei
  • 194 color options from Agfa, Fuji, Kodak, Lomography, & Polaroid
  • 33 creative options in the CreativePack-1 folder
That's basically 293 options that can recreate any feel that you want for a photo.

My favorite B&W film simulations are:
  • Kodak TMAX 3200 1 - (Seems to have the smoothest contrast & tonal range. Images look very clean & clear.)
  • Kodak TRI-X 400 1 - (Has a bit more contrast.)
  • Polaroid 665 Negative HC (Contrasty.)
  • Fuji Neopan 1600 1 - (Contrasty, but towards the darker range.)
  • Polariod 672 (Contrasty, but towards the darker range as well.)
  • Rollei Retro 80s (Extremely dark & bright contrast.)
My favorite color film simulations are:
  • Fuji Astia 100 Generic (I use this almost all the time. It seems to punch up the colors & contrast just right. It doesn't seem to change the hue of the colors either.)
  • Kodak Portra 160/400/800 (There are several different versions & each one has their own touch. The 800 has the most saturation.)
There are others that I also use on occasion, depending on the shot. You'll basically have to play around with them to find one that really suits your shooting style.

Hald CLUT, RawTherapee, Film Simulation, Film Emulation,

^ Here is an example of how to set it up & how to use it.

You can use one of the Processing Profiles that I created first & then apply this film simulation or use your own processing profile & apply the film simulation. Good stuff!!

Documentation & YouTube Tutorials.

404 Error

^ That's the official documentation.

RAWTHERAPEE - YouTube

^ Here are a few videos that can get you started.

One more thing. As long as I can keep editing this post, I'll always attach the latest set of processing profiles to the bottom of this post.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-11-2019 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Thread closed and link to new thread included, per OP request
01-05-2016, 07:11 PM   #2
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've dabbled with Raw Therapee but not enough to remember how to use it from one time to the next.

How much do you think a profile would need to change from one camera to the next. Do you think yours might work well for a K-5?
01-05-2016, 07:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Welcome to my RawTherapee thread. I figured that I start a new thread instead of continuing the other one in the K-30 & K-50 forum.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/293192-rawtherapee-profile-k-50-a.html

What is RawTherapee? It's a free open-source RAW developing/editing program similar to Lightroom, Silkypix, Capture One, Darktable, & related. It runs on Windows, Linux, or Mac. You can also use it for jpegs, but GIMP or Photoshop are better for editing jpegs. It doesn't categorize or catalogue your photos for you, though, but I'll tell you one thing. As far as RAW processing power goes, RawTherapee is mind blowing.

I have spent a lot of time toying around with RawTherapee. It's an awesome RAW editing program once you get the hang of it. There are a ton of options that can help or ruin an image, depending on what other settings you have going on.

To start off, all you need to do is download RawTherapee from their site.

RawTherapee Downloads

^ I tend to stick to the stable versions, but if you have a newer camera, chances are that you might need to get the latest version for your camera's RAW files.

I have created the processing profiles attached at the bottom of this post more specifically for the Pentax K-01/K-30/K-50 cameras since they all use the same Sony 16 MP sensor that produces the same 12 bit RAW files, but they will work with all Pentax DSLR cameras & even with other manufacturer's DSLR & Mirrorless cameras.

These are just starting points. I have tried to make them look as close to the "Natural" image setting on the K-50 as possible & have tried to retain as much fine detail as possible.

The ISO 100 to 400 profile doesn't get any noise reduction & uses the AMAZE demosaicing algorithm.

For the ISO 800 to ISO 51200 processing profiles, the color noise (chrominance) has been reduced, but the grain (luminance) has not. That is what keeps the fine detail. The grain is very pleasant looking & almost reminds you of old ISO 400 to ISO 1600 film. Impulse Noise Reduction has been turned on from ISO 6400 to ISO 51200.

The ISO 800 to ISO 51200 use the LMMSE demosaicing pattern. It produces an extremely fine grain. There are other demosaicing algorithms that you can try, but after lots of trial & error I have come to the conclusion that the LMMSE demosaicing algorithm works the best at higher ISO. These profiles give the K-01/K-30/K-50 much better high ISO results. You can easily shoot up to ISO 6400 & if you're in a pinch, up to ISO 12800 for decent results.

How do I use these processing profiles? Well, I'm going to guess that a good chunk you you folks are using some from of Windows machine. This is how you install the processing profiles to use in RawTherapee. First thing is first, download & install RawTherapee. Once you are done, you will need to navigate to RawTherapee's "profiles" folder. Basically the path should look like this if using the stable version or very similar if using a newer version.

C:\Program Files\RawTherapee-4.2.1\profiles

Once you navigate to the "profiles" folder where you'll see "BW", "Faded", "Generic", etc. folders, unzip the file & place the Pentax folder inside the "profiles" folder. That is all.

The rest of us Linux junkies can do something similar to that, but it requires a bit more terminal type commands. I'll let you figure that out, since it varies a bit with each distro. You can also load the processing profiles manually every time by saving the processing profiles somewhere that is easily accessible.

Going back to Windows or if you can install the processing profiles into the proper Linux directories with the proper permissions, open up a RAW file with RawTherapee. Once the screen opens up, you will see the Processing Profiles on the upper right hand side. Click on the large button below it & follow the "Bundled Profiles" to the "Pentax" label & you will see all the processing profiles there.

If you can't install the profiles, then just manually load the profiles that you want to use by pressing the "folder" button right next that other large button on the upper right hand side.

Depending on the ISO, pick the corresponding profile & voila! You have a good starting point. Go to the different tabs & experiment a bit. Pixel peep your results if you want. Compare outputs from this program to other RAW editors. I'm pretty sure that you'll like the results!

If you guys have any tips & tricks or want to share your processing profiles, feel free to post them up! If you can tweak these profiles to produce even better results, I'm all for it too!
Thanks for sharing those, I've been thinking of a collection of in-camera (K-5) consistent profiles for a long time and never got around to create any.

From a first look, I noticed that you set the working color space to sRGB. That discards color information from the raw data. See 'Color Management' in rawpedia on why you should not need to change it from the default ProPhoto for generic profiles. While it might improve the consistency of how out-of-sRGB-gamut colors look on screen while working on them, not discarding those colors for editing would still produce the same JPGs when exported in sRGB. Isn't soft-proofing in the works for RT? So for general use, which includes viewing on a wide-gamut display and printing images, I would recommend sticking to ProPhoto.
01-06-2016, 04:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for starting this thread and for the profiles too. I recently starting working with RawTherapee after using Darktable for a few years. I like many of Darktable's processing modules (particularly the ability to blend every module 8 ways from Sunday) but the file management aspect of it drives me nuts. I seem to get better results with RawTherapee's noise reduction tools than I did with Darktable, but that might just be me, not the software's fault. I also like RawTherapee's B&W conversion tools better.

I'm using the development version so that I can take advantage of the wavelets module. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it all. The wiki has an article but it's not quite finished yet. Do you have any experience with the wavelets?

01-06-2016, 07:42 AM   #5

Squirrel Mafia, thanks for the update.

Are those profiles you've posted in this thread new versions, or are these the latest refinements of your earlier profiles?
01-06-2016, 08:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
How much do you think a profile would need to change from one camera to the next. Do you think yours might work well for a K-5?
The profiles will work quite well with the K-5. Your camera seems to be limited to ISO 12800, but basically you can get really good looking ISO 6400 shots & great looking ISO 12800 shots.

It just takes a little bit of patience & toying around with the settings to start understanding how RawTherapee works. If you put in a little bit of time, you'll actually be quite amazed with RawTherapee.

---------- Post added 01-06-16 at 07:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Thanks for sharing those, I've been thinking of a collection of in-camera (K-5) consistent profiles for a long time and never got around to create any.

From a first look, I noticed that you set the working color space to sRGB. That discards color information from the raw data. See 'Color Management' in rawpedia on why you should not need to change it from the default ProPhoto for generic profiles. While it might improve the consistency of how out-of-sRGB-gamut colors look on screen while working on them, not discarding those colors for editing would still produce the same JPGs when exported in sRGB. Isn't soft-proofing in the works for RT? So for general use, which includes viewing on a wide-gamut display and printing images, I would recommend sticking to ProPhoto.
You're welcome.

I originally had these set to ProPhoto, but sometimes the reds, pinks, oranges, & magentas would end up looking a bit too artificially exaggerated. The sRGB seems to bring the colors back to their normal state. Pentax in general seems to pump up the colors already.

That is something that can be changed to whatever the user wants to use, though.

---------- Post added 01-06-16 at 07:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mspadazzi Quote
Thanks for starting this thread and for the profiles too. I recently starting working with RawTherapee after using Darktable for a few years. I like many of Darktable's processing modules (particularly the ability to blend every module 8 ways from Sunday) but the file management aspect of it drives me nuts. I seem to get better results with RawTherapee's noise reduction tools than I did with Darktable, but that might just be me, not the software's fault. I also like RawTherapee's B&W conversion tools better.

I'm using the development version so that I can take advantage of the wavelets module. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it all. The wiki has an article but it's not quite finished yet. Do you have any experience with the wavelets?
You're welcome!

Darktable is pretty awesome. I dabble with it when I'm on the Linux side of my machine, but I have the same gripes as you. I can't seem to find a balance of detail vs. noise reduction on Darktable. I also noticed that it doesn't give you that many democaising algorithms either. I basically can't get the results that I get from RawTherapee out of Darktable.

As far as the wavelets feature go, I haven't had the chance to try them out yet. I do need to get around to it. It's probably going to take a while for me to do so, but I'll post some findings when I do.

---------- Post added 01-06-16 at 07:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by T Evergreen Quote
Squirrel Mafia, thanks for the update.

Are those profiles you've posted in this thread new versions, or are these the latest refinements of your earlier profiles?
You're welcome.

These are the latest refinements to the earlier profiles. The refinements are:

Switching ProPhoto to sRGB in color space for all profiles.
Tweaking the LMMSE democaising & adding impulse noise reduction to ISO 6400 - ISO 51200 profiles.

The funny thing is that no matter what I do, the "what I consider usable limit" for the K-01/K-30/K-50 seems to be ISO 12800. It used to be ISO 3200, until I figured out some additional tweaks & settings & was able to get very good ISO 6400 shots & decent ISO 12800 shots. The other 2 ISOs are just wishful thinking. They're only for really small web pictures or prints. They also look better in black & white.

The K-S2 seems to have about the same ISO limit as well.

I tested the K-5II/IIs & K-3/II & they also seem to be at that limit as well, but ISO 25600 can still put out an OK picture. It's probably due to the 14bit RAW file.
01-06-2016, 11:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to my RawTherapee thread. I figured that I start a new thread instead of continuing the other one in the K-30 & K-50 forum.
Thanks for your continued sharing and leadership.

Realized that I never shared any of my profiles as you indicated interest in... Right after my last input on your previous thread I scored a used K-3 (in excellent condition with 9000 shutters for $300 yeehaw) and that threw me into a new round of adapting my profiles to it from the K-5... I use a handful of custom DCP's for the K-5 but have only been using the adobe standard DCP for the K-3, so that simplifies things... I've taken your latest base profile and made my adjustments for where I launch from with the K-3... To fully experience my profile you'd need the K-3 DCP and a K-3 because it effects the tones quite a bit....

QuoteOriginally posted by mspadazzi Quote
Do you have any experience with the wavelets?
I use the wavelet tools a lot. They are awesome. I also use the retinex tool quite a bit which is awesome. I also use the FIlm Emulation HaldCLUTS a lot which are awesome. I also use the BW, LAB and CIECAM tools a lot which are awesome.

Attached Files
File Type: zip ISO 00100 to 400 - k3.zip (3.3 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by todd; 01-06-2016 at 01:25 PM.
01-06-2016, 11:42 AM   #8
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It just takes a little bit of patience & toying around with the settings to start understanding how RawTherapee works. If you put in a little bit of time, you'll actually be quite amazed with RawTherapee.
The settings haven't baffled me so much as how to use it efficiently to process an image, or the right sequence to process an image so that if you want to change your mind and tweak things it is with a later option and not one that undoes your entire work flow.
01-06-2016, 11:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Thanks for your continued sharing and leadership.

Realized that I never shared any of my profiles as you indicated interest in... Right after my last input on your previous thread I scored a used K-3 (in excellent condition with 9000 shutters for $300 yeehaw) and that threw me into a new round of adapting my profiles to it from the K-5... I use a handful of custom DCP's for the K-5 but have only been using the adobe standard DCP for the K-3, so that simplifies things... I've taken your latest base profile and made my adjustments for where I launch from with the K-3... To fully experience my profile you'd need the K-3 DCP and a K-3 because it effects the tones quite a bit....

I use the wavelet tools a lot. They are awesome. I also use the retinex tool quite a bit which is awesome. I also use the FIlm Emulation HaldCLUTS a lot which are awesome. I also use the BW, LAB and CIECAM tools a lot which are awesome.
That is awesome! I'm pretty sure that the K-3 crew will want to try them! I have some K-3 RAW files on my PC that I'm going to test these with.

I keep toying with RawTherapee 'cause it's kinda fun being able to extract far more fine detail from a high ISO raw file than what the camera's jpeg engine could ever dream of doing. I'm also trying to squeeze the last pixel of performance out of my K-50's sensor, while not having to resort to a full frame camera. It's amazing to see the fine details that you can recover starting at ISO 800 & beyond, but especially at ISO 3200 to ISO 12800. You really start to notice the difference between the out of camera jpeg & the RawTherapee jpeg, tiff, or whatever you export.

I also use Lightroom, but I might be canceling my subscription soon. I'm basically trying to get RawTherapee to be even better than what Lightoom can do.

My next project is to start using the CIE Color Apperance Model tools. I've been experimenting with them a bit, but not enough to include them in the current processing profiles.
01-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have some K-3 RAW files on my PC that I'm going to test these with.
Here's the DCP I'm using...
Attached Files
File Type: zip PENTAX K-3 Adobe Standard.zip (68.9 KB, 112 views)
01-06-2016, 04:13 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
todd:

It looks like the profile has an error when trying to use it. Here it is in the PP3 file.

[Color Management]
InputProfile=file:\\rt\\PENTAX K-3 Adobe Standard.dcp

I fixed it on my end by manually loading in the Color Management. Basically the path is set for something on your hard drive & an error appears when it's trying to be loaded into another machine that has a different hard drive configuration.

[Color Management]
InputProfile=file:C:\\Program Files\\RawTherapee Latest\\dcpprofiles\\PENTAX K-3 Adobe Standard.dcp

^ That's my fix, but this won't work for someone else that places their DCP file in a different folder. They basically have to load the PENTAX K-3 Adobe Standard.dcp in the Color Management to their profile manually & then save a copy & place it into whatever folder they plan on using to get the profiles.

But yeah! This profile gives the image brighter look when comparing it to the one I have for the K-50.
01-06-2016, 06:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

todd:

It looks like the profile has an error when trying to use it. Here it is in the PP3 file.

[Color Management]
InputProfile=file:\\rt\\PENTAX K-3 Adobe Standard.dcp

I fixed it on my end by manually loading in the Color Management. Basically the path is set for something on your hard drive & an error appears when it's trying to be loaded into another machine that has a different hard drive configuration.

[Color Management]
InputProfile=file:C:\\Program Files\\RawTherapee Latest\\dcpprofiles\\PENTAX K-3 Adobe Standard.dcp

^ That's my fix, but this won't work for someone else that places their DCP file in a different folder. They basically have to load the PENTAX K-3 Adobe Standard.dcp in the Color Management to their profile manually & then save a copy & place it into whatever folder they plan on using to get the profiles.

But yeah! This profile gives the image brighter look when comparing it to the one I have for the K-50.
Oh shoot.. Yeah I have all my RT stuff in a custom location... Glad you figured it out... I've attached it again without the DCP set (but obviously recommend setting it to see the improvement...)
Attached Files
File Type: zip ISO 00100 to 400 - k3-no-dcp.zip (3.3 KB, 86 views)
01-06-2016, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ OK! Great!

For those of you that want to play around even more, download the HaldClut.zip file from this location:

Index of /shared

^ It's kinda big at 402 MB.

Once you do, you will need to extract it somewhere where you plan on keeping it & not disturbing it. Then you open up RawTherapee, go to the settings on the lower left and side, go to the "Imaging Processing" tab, & go down the the Film Simulation section & set the location of the folder. Restart RawTherapee, go to the color tab, scroll down to the Film Simulation section, & enable it. Noe you get to pick out the film simulation that you want.

You can use one of the Processing Profiles that I created first & then apply this film simulation or use your own processing profile & apply the film simulation. Good stuff!!
01-07-2016, 09:42 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Question: How well will these profiles work with a K-01?
01-07-2016, 10:47 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by logomancer Quote
Question: How well will these profiles work with a K-01?
Yes. The K-01, K-30, & K-50 share the exact same sensor, processor, & 12bit RAW files.

The K-5, K-5II, & K-5IIs series use the same sensor, but put out 14bit RAW files.

These processing profiles will work will all Pentax cameras in general. They're just starting points, though. You can tweak colors, use HaldCLUT film simulations, or do whatever you need to do to get a final result that you like.

These processing profiles can also be used for other camera makes & models, but they might require some tweaking for them.

---------- Post added 01-07-16 at 10:20 AM ----------

UPDATE!

I uploaded a slightly revamped batch of profiles to the first post of this thread. I tweaked some of the demosaicing settings.

If you go to the RAW tab & open up the Bayor Sensor section, you can switch to the DCB setting that has been optimized for each ISO. You could also use the AMAZE demosaicing. Compare what each one does. I still think that LMMSE produces the best high ISO results with the finest grain, but it's all just a matter of personal preference. The results are more obvious when either pixel peeping or cropping.

To install and/or use, just refer back to the first post of this thread.

By the way, you can manually edit these processing profiles faster by using Notepad or some kind of text editor. You can just copy & paste similar settings. However, if you don't understand what you are doing, you might get errors when using the profile.

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 01-07-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Closed Thread