Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2016, 10:44 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Excellent. I'm glad you're enjoying it. Are you using the HaldCLUT feature? You can get some fascinating results with it.

03-18-2016, 10:05 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

A new version of RawTherapee is out!

RawTherapee version 4.2.880 for Windows 64bit.
Direct link for 64bit.

RawTherapee version 4.2.753 for Windows 32bit.
Direct link for 32bit.

If you're on Linux, Mac or some other OS, select your OS & follow instructions.
Direct link to downloads.

Have fun!
03-18-2016, 11:14 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
i recommend trying on the 'toowablue' theme (from the preferences)... i like it better...
03-18-2016, 03:06 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Oh wow! That theme looks more cleaner & streamlined. Thanks!

You can go ahead & keep the stapler.

03-25-2016, 03:34 AM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ Excellent. I'm glad you're enjoying it. Are you using the HaldCLUT feature? You can get some fascinating results with it.
YES YES YES, HaldCLUT was the first plugin I installed to recreate the reversal film from K-5 jpg engine. And then I found HaldCLUT and Rawtherapee did a much much better job when processing RAW files. It even save me from diving into Fuji system because of their lovely fujichrome film simulation.
03-25-2016, 07:56 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's the beauty of the HaldCLUTs. You have:
  • 66 black & white options from Agfa, Fuji, Illford, Kodak, Polaroid, & Rollei
  • 194 color options from Agfa, Fuji, Kodak, Lomography, & Polaroid
  • 33 creative options in the CreativePack-1 folder
That's basically 293 options that can recreate any feel that you want for a photo. Sometimes I have a hard time trying to pick out the color or BW look that I want 'cause there are too many options! Hahaha! Try beating that with a baseball bat!
03-26-2016, 06:58 AM   #67

Just visited this thread thanks to your suggestion in the DPReview Pentax Compact Camera subforum. I was a little nervous about learning ANOTHER software, but decided to go for it. I just spent a bunch of money on DxO, but was so disappointed that they don't support the Q...

So I just got the latest 64-bit version of the software, installed all the camera files from your top post, and also the film simulations.

One thing I like in DxO that RawTherapee doesn't have is the content-specific help buttons. That shortened my learning curve right down for DxO.

OK, now it's off to shoot some raw in the Q7 and she how she goes!

Thanks for posting and maintaining this thread, Squirrel.

04-01-2016, 07:28 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

A new version of RawTherapee is out! And it's not an April Fool's either.

RawTherapee version 4.2.905 for Windows 64bit.
Direct link for 64bit.

If you're on Linux, Mac or some other OS, select your OS & follow instructions.
Direct link to downloads.

The best thing to do is to uninstall all previous versions & then install this one. As you install it, a dialogue box will eventually show the installation path as "C:\Program Files\RawTherapee-4.2.905". Get rid of the "-4.2.905" part of it. It might ask you for a confirmation. Just click on yes. Then another box will appear for the start menu item. Do the same thing. Once you do that, RawTherapee will install.

There might be a chance that you will have to delete some old RawTherapee folders manually in the Program Files folder afterwards. Before you do that, move your processing files, dcp files, & any other settings to the new folder & then delete the old folders.

From here on, every time you install a new version, just remove the old one & reinstall using the same method by removing the version number at the end of the path & you won't have to worry about deleting old folders with different versions. It'll keep installing in that same folder.

Have fun!
04-02-2016, 03:51 AM   #69

I wonder if there are any MAC user here? I am experiencing quite a few program freeze and hiccups here & there but I cannot found much reports from other OSX user about it. I have tried reinstall(replace) and remove and reinstall and some errors went away.

The latest issue is that when I try to "empty trash" after flagged a number of images, it will freeze the program.

Also I notice there is not as frequent updates / revision as windows releases. I wonder if the OSX version receive less support and would it be better to move to windows side for better user experience.

Thanks for reading
04-04-2016, 01:05 PM   #70
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I uploaded some new processing profiles for the latest development version.

What has changed?
  • Set the unsharp mask settings for all ISOs.
  • Punched up the contrast.
  • Set green equilibration for each ISO.
The images are punchier & sharper.

Remember that these are starting points. Chances are that you might need to increase or reduce exposure, apply heavier luminance noise reduction, and/or do other things to the image.

Give these a test try before deleting your old profiles to see if you like them.

Have fun!

---------- Post added 04-04-16 at 01:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alec2015 Quote
I wonder if there are any MAC user here? I am experiencing quite a few program freeze and hiccups here & there but I cannot found much reports from other OSX user about it. I have tried reinstall(replace) and remove and reinstall and some errors went away.

The latest issue is that when I try to "empty trash" after flagged a number of images, it will freeze the program.

Also I notice there is not as frequent updates / revision as windows releases. I wonder if the OSX version receive less support and would it be better to move to windows side for better user experience.

Thanks for reading
That is weird. I don't have a Mac, so I really don't know what to do here. I run Linux & Windows.

I can see that RT 4.2.753 for Mac OS X 10.11 64-bit - fast seems to be the latest version, but I guess it depends on your version of OS X as well.

There is also:

RT 4.2.349 for Mac OS X 10.10 64-bit - fast
RT 4.2.270 for Mac OS X 10.6/7/8/9 64-bit - fast
RT 4.2.1 for Mac OS X 10.10 64-bit - fast (this should actually be stable)

What version are you using?
04-06-2016, 09:04 PM   #71
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

Just realized that I had uploaded some experimental processing profiles. You might have noticed heavier grain at high ISO when using them.

I just uploaded the correct ones for the DEVELOPMENT version in the first post.
04-07-2016, 10:34 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've been playing around with a trial version of Capture One lately. I had used it a while ago for my older Sony A200 RAW files. It was free to use with Sony cameras, but since I hardly ever shot past ISO 400 & the in camera jpeg engine did a pretty good job, I hardly ever post processed the A200's RAW files. Even then, it was a limited version of what the full version could do.

I use RawTherapee almost all the time when I process high ISO images. After being able to extract better high ISO results out of RawTherapee than what I could get out of Lightroom, I canceled my Lightroom subscription. I been playing around with RawTherapee even more since then. I recently decided to give Capture One another test drive just to give it the benefit of the doubt. I downloaded a trial version, installed it, & have played with it for the past 25 days. Well, all I can say is that it's pretty good. It produces a different kind of luminance grain at high ISO, it handles color better, & handles high ISO false coloring a bit better.

I don't know what kind of demosaicing algorithm is being used in Capture One, but it can render high ISO shots with a lot of detail & very fine grain. RawTherapee also renders high ISO shots with a lot of detail & very fine grain. They're about equal in that department. It all depends on the unsharp mask/sharpening settings that you use in each program, if you use the amaze demosaicing algorithm in RawTherapee, the green equilibration settings in RawTherapee, & the luminance/detail/single pixel sliders in Capture One. You will get very pleasing high ISO results from both programs. I can't really say that one is better than the other in that respect.

Color goes to Capture One. The color seems to be more accurate, has more saturation, & is more vibrant. That's where it beats RawTherapee. I can't seem to get those vibrant Capture One colors in RawTherapee. The vibrance slider in RawTherapee can kind of replicate similar colors, but then other colors might shift tint a bit. I still need to work on RawTherapee's colors. I think it's a combination of the chrominance noise reduction settings, the saturation values, vibrance settings, & L*a*b Adjusments in RawTherapee.

Capture One handles high ISO false coloring a bit better. RawTherapee does pretty well, but Capture One is slightly ahead. I'm talking about false coloring that you see randomly throughout the image at high ISO, not chrominance color noise. They both handle that well.

The control layouts are similar to how RawTherapee has them laid out. If you can use RawTherapee, you'll have no issues using Capture One. The way the control layouts are organized in Capture One makes it a bit easier to use, though.

I guess when you look at it, RawTherapee is pretty great for being free. It offers a ton of controls that can be overwhelming at times. If I were to purchase a raw editing program, Capture One would probably be my first pick & Lightroom my second pick. Would I pay for it? If I were shooting professionally & making a living off of it, yes. Since I don't do that, I won't be buying it anytime soon. It's a bit pricey for me at $299 USD, but it does offer a lot of control options for the price. You can also purchase a film simulation pack for about $50 USD. You can use HaldCLUT film simulations in RawTherapee for free, though. However, Capture One will still have a better color representation in the end.

I want to try out DxO next to see how that one does.
04-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I can't seem to get those vibrant Capture One colors in RawTherapee.
You are an adventurous chap and I applaud you for that.

Have you explored the color possibilities with CIECAM in RT? The colorfulness slider and curve tool in there are powerful. I am assuming you've also played with the CC curve tool in the LAB section. I remember reading somewhere that it's considered the main/best color/vibrancy tool in all of RT. I really like the RGB Curves tool under the color tab. Being able to use the pipettes there is really nifty.
04-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Someone get the squirrels some pixel shifted RAW files so they can write up a definitive tutorial on extracting the 4 images as separate layers for control of motion artifacts.

I want to get excited about pixel shifting, but I just can't if the only control I have over an image is a single Sharpness slider or letting the camera make a jpeg for me.
04-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
Someone get the squirrels some pixel shifted RAW files so they can write up a definitive tutorial on extracting the 4 images as separate layers for control of motion artifacts.

I want to get excited about pixel shifting, but I just can't if the only control I have over an image is a single Sharpness slider or letting the camera make a jpeg for me.
Yes to tutorials!

How about just the separate DNG's that you layer manually? That's what I've been assuming is the result (The four DNG's plus the compiled DNG) and I will/would be fine with that... Couldn't find anything definitive in the K-1 manual and don't have a K3II... Really looking forward to exploring PS when my K-1 arrives...
Closed Thread