Show Printable Version 130 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2016, 09:38 AM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Yes it is.

Rawtherapee Tutorial: Batch Processing - YouTube
^ Here's a YouTube video on that.

scribble's scribbles: RAW Therapee's Batch Processing to the Rescue
^ Here's an older article using an older version of RawTherape, but it's pretty much the same thing.

I don't really use that feature, since I only process a few photos when I use RawTherapee.
That will apply the same profile to all the images.

I was trying to apply an appropriate amount of noise reduction to each image, depending on the ISO used, all at once without needing to know ISO setting of each of the picture. So basically I should be able to say:

if ISO of the image is less than 400 do not apply NR,
for ISO of the image between 400 and 800, use profile-1 with some amount of NR,
for ISO of the image between 800 and 1600 use a profile with slightly more NR and so on.

but all in one batch....

04-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hmmm.... That would probably require some kind of command line code. I wouldn't really know how to go about doing that.
04-20-2016, 12:13 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Hmmm.... That would probably require some kind of command line code. I wouldn't really know how to go about doing that.
That is a good idea! Having command line options to get things done in a script!
Are you a dev, of RT by any chance? :-)
04-20-2016, 12:28 PM   #94
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Not a developer. I'm just a regular guy with some former I.T. knowledge. I'm also very big on open-source stuff, since I've been rocking the Linux stuff since the mid '90s.

I'm gonna see if there's a way to automate that. It would be some kind of script that would pick the appropriate processing file for a given ISO range & with you having the option of exporting a TIFF or JPEG. Hmmmm...........

04-20-2016, 05:07 PM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
That is a good idea! Having command line options to get things done in a script!
Are you a dev, of RT by any chance? :-)
You should also pose your pursuit here: https://discuss.pixls.us/c/software/rawtherapee

And/or here: https://github.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee/issues
04-25-2016, 09:07 AM   #96
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

New processing profiles are up. Both the development & stable profiles have been updated.

What's new?

There are only 2 types processing profiles now: AMAZE & IGV. The AMAZE profile will produce the best results, but IGV can help some high ISO images (12800 & beyond) at the cost of some lost fine detail. The IGV profiles produce a very fine "sand like" grain & reduce the "false coloring" at high ISO slightly. I got rid of the LMMSE & DCB proflies, since they were kind of redundant, but you can change the demosaicing algorithm to your liking in the RAW tab. There are other demosaicing algorithms to try there.

I set the Sharpening default to RL Deconvolution. Images are sharp & crisp. Probably better than what the in camera jpeg engine can do. If the image too sharp or too grainy at higher ISO, it can be switched to Unsharp Mask for less sharpening & grain or turn it off completely to do post sharpening in GIMP or another photo editing program.

The chrominance noise reduction has been tweaked once again to reflect similar results across the usable APS-C ISO range of 100 to 6400. It starts at .5 @ 100 & goes up to 32 @ 6400. It basically doubles up as the ISO climbs. From there on, 16 "steps" were added to the other ISOs: 48 @ 12800, 64 @ 25600, 80 @ 51200. The luminance noise reduction is not used for any ISO.

Depending on the version of RawTherapee that you are using, download the processing profiles that you need accordingly.
04-28-2016, 07:15 AM   #97
Veteran Member

UPDATE!

New processing profiles are up. Both the development & stable profiles have been updated.

What's new?

There are only 2 types processing profiles now: AMAZE & IGV. The AMAZE profile will produce the best results, but IGV can help some high ISO images (12800 & beyond) at the cost of some lost fine detail. The IGV profiles produce a very fine "sand like" grain & reduce the "false coloring" at high ISO slightly. I got rid of the LMMSE & DCB proflies, since they were kind of redundant, but you can change the demosaicing algorithm to your liking in the RAW tab. There are other demosaicing algorithms to try there.

I set the Sharpening default to RL Deconvolution. Images are sharp & crisp. Probably better than what the in camera jpeg engine can do. If the image too sharp or too grainy at higher ISO, it can be switched to Unsharp Mask for less sharpening & grain or turn it off completely to do post sharpening in GIMP or another photo editing program.

The chrominance noise reduction has been tweaked once again to reflect similar results across the usable APS-C ISO range of 100 to 6400. It starts at .5 @ 100 & goes up to 32 @ 6400. It basically doubles up as the ISO climbs. From there on, 16 "steps" were added to the other ISOs: 48 @ 12800, 64 @ 25600, 80 @ 51200. The luminance noise reduction is not used for any ISO.

Depending on the version of RawTherapee that you are using, download the processing profiles that you need accordingly.
Thanks The Squirrel Mafia! I will try these soon.

One question: when we apply a new profile to an image, that replaces all the earlier raw processing on that image, correct? Is there a way to apply profiles one after the other (with different set of parameters in each profile) keeping the previously applied parameters unchanged?

04-28-2016, 07:49 AM   #98
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Whenever you close RawTherapee, it overwrites the .pp3 file associated with the RAW file automatically. It will keep replacing it all the time & it won't ask you. That's how the program works.

The only way to save profiles is by copying the .pp3 file that is associated with that RAW file you are processing & saving it somewhere else. Then you can manually load it later. Sometimes I'll do this as I'm working on a profile to go back & forth.
05-04-2016, 08:06 AM   #99
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There's a new version of RawTherapee, but it seems to have a few quirks right now. Gonna wait for the next version. I'm hoping that a stable version will be out in due time. The last one was released in October of 2014.

I'm toying around with the new K-1 DNG files from Imaging-Resource. I was hoping for a miraculous 2 stop improvement over APS-C (FF 25600 = APS-C 6400), but it's more like a +-1.5 stop improvement (FF 25600 ~ APS-C 9600). Physics. I'd set the K-1's auto ISO from 100 to 25600. I'm going to guess that ISO 32000 on the K-1 would be my extreme high ISO shooting limit. That would roughly equal ISO 12800 on APS-C. The K-1's DNG files are still pretty impressive, though. I'll probably get a K-1 in about 3 years from now when they're being blown out for dirt cheap.

I'm still rocking my K-50 & it still impresses me. I shot a bunch high school kids doing their performances in a dimly lit auditorium yesterday night, mainly with my Pentax 35mm f/2.4 lens & a few with my Pentax 50-200mm f/4-5.6 lens. The results were pretty great. The AF worked decently good, given the lighting, but I think the K-3/K-3II would have done better. If there are some K-3 cameras being blown out around "Black Friday" this year, I might get one.

Another thing that I've been wanting is a good constant aperture zoom. Shooting the kids with the 35mm is very easy once I figure out what settings to use in manual mode. Using the 50-200 with variable aperture gets trickier when zooming in & out while having to change the settings as I do it. Even using TAv doesn't help & sometimes makes it worse. The only good thing is that the K-50 has 2 control dials. I would be angry if it didn't. Hahaha!
05-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a few quirks
Which version? I've been running 4.2.950 x64 Windoze since April 30 without issue...

Yeah, I've played with the K-1 files too and excited for my copy to arrive on Friday! The wait has grown to be fairly torturous since pre-ordering it on Feb18.

I hear ya on the constant aperture zoom. That would be nice... My kids are older now (youngest are 10) but there are still baseball games and puppies to chase around the house now!

Edit: I should qualify that a constant F2.8 aperture AF zoom is what would be nice from my persective. I do have a copy of the F4 A70-210... It plays nicely on K-1 from what I've seen already from others, so it will get used.. But still...

Last edited by todd; 05-04-2016 at 10:24 AM.
05-04-2016, 10:26 AM   #101
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ It's version 4.2.967 that was released yesterday. Sometimes it'll crash when using a HaldCLUT or doing something else. The previous version is still flawless.

I'd like to get that Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 & the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8. The only sucky thing is no WR for those lenses, but I would still have the WR Pentax 18-55 & 55-200 for those rainy or splashy days on the beach.
05-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^ It's version 4.2.967 that was released yesterday. Sometimes it'll crash when using a HaldCLUT or doing something else. The previous version is still flawless.

I'd like to get that Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 & the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8. The only sucky thing is no WR for those lenses, but I would still have the WR Pentax 18-55 & 55-200 for those rainy or splashy days on the beach.
Aha I saw last night that there is a request to rebuild the windows version using "a new gtk3 build which includes the Hald CLUT speedup merge, so commit 5294d2 or newer"

Yeah, I don't have any WR lenses, but I still can't resist risking the splashies at the beach with my regular lenses...

05-11-2016, 07:43 AM   #103
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

A new version of RawTherapee is out!

It looks like they fixed that HaldCLUT crash issue that was present in the 2016-05-03 release date. This was re-released on 2016-05-07.

RawTherapee version 4.2.976 for Windows 64bit.
Direct link for 64bit.

RawTherapee version 4.2.835 for Windows 32bit.
Direct link for 32bit.

If you're on Linux, Mac or some other OS, select your OS & follow instructions.
Direct link to downloads.

Have fun!
05-19-2016, 10:18 AM   #104
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I uploaded revamped processing profiles for the DEVELOPMENT & STABLE programs.

There were some minor tweaks in the green equilibration & contrast settings. The settings allow the current generation of Pentax APS-C cameras (from K-5/K-30 to recent) to shoot up to ISO 12800, while keeping the most fine detail possible. Even ISO 25600 is usable, depending on how well the picture was taken, & ISO 51200 is just wishful thinking.

If you're using the latest version of RawTherapee, use the DEVELOPMENT profiles. Use STABLE for the stable version.

Have fun!
05-23-2016, 10:54 AM   #105
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

A new version of RawTherapee is out!

RawTherapee version 4.2.1005 for Windows 64bit.
Direct link for 64bit.

If you're on Linux, Mac or some other OS, select your OS & follow instructions.
Direct link to downloads.

Have fun!
Closed Thread