Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2017, 01:55 PM   #271
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Homo_erectus Quote
I love that RT has such an active group of users here.

I've experimented with RT over the years and, while I find it's output to be quite good, one thing or another has always pushed me away from it. Version 5 seems quite nice but on both the Mac and Windows 10 platforms I'm getting various issues, mostly crashes, that make it unusable.

On Windows 10, RT (version RT 5.0-r1-gtk3 for Windows Vista/7/8/10 64-bit - fast) will not save processed files onto the desktop (this bug goes back to version 4 in my experience). It processes the file and then nothing happens. It never actually puts the final jpg on the desktop. The first time I tried to select a different location via the batch processing window, RT crashed. Weirdly, having RT save the files into a folder on the desktop works fine.

On the Mac (I've tested it on two different Macs, one iMac running 10.11.6 and one MacBook Pro running 10.12.3 both using RT version RT 5.0-r1-gtk3 for macOS 10.8/9/10/11/12 64-bit - fast) when I try to point RT to the install location of Photoshop in RTs preferences, the program crashes to desktop. Also, when I try to change the location where processed files are saved, the program crashes.

Given that my experience has been that RT is more or less unusable, I'm fascinated that other people seem to have no problems, or at least, I haven't seen any one complaining about the issues that I keep encountering. So, am I just particularly unlucky? Are other people seeing the same issues and just working around them? What's going on?
There are occasional bugs & quirks in RawTherapee, although quite rare. I don't use a Mac, so I can't really help you there, but on Windows 10, there will be a RawTherapee folder in the following hidden location:

C:\Users\<whateveryourusernameis>\AppData\Local

^ Delete the RawTherapee folder(s) in there & when you start RawTherapee, it will look like you just installed it. Reconfigure your RawTherapee settings & hopefully that resolves whatever issue you have.

There might be something similar on Mac. Like a temporary folder to delete too.

03-16-2017, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #272

QuoteOriginally posted by heckflosse Quote
when I try to point RT to the install location of Photoshop in RTs preferences, the program crashes to desktop. Also, when I try to change the location where processed files are saved, the program crashes.
Update: Both bugs should be fixed now in rt code. May take some days for new builds from new code. Also fixed in rt pixelshift branch.
03-17-2017, 05:42 AM   #273
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
There are occasional bugs & quirks in RawTherapee, although quite rare. I don't use a Mac, so I can't really help you there, but on Windows 10, there will be a RawTherapee folder in the following hidden location:

C:\Users\<whateveryourusernameis>\AppData\Local

^ Delete the RawTherapee folder(s) in there & when you start RawTherapee, it will look like you just installed it. Reconfigure your RawTherapee settings & hopefully that resolves whatever issue you have.

There might be something similar on Mac. Like a temporary folder to delete too.
Thanks very much.

On the mac the equivalents are in ~/Library/Application Support/RawTherapee and ~/.Config/RawTherapee

---------- Post added 03-17-17 at 05:46 AM ----------

Update: Both bugs should be fixed now in rt code. May take some days for new builds from new code. Also fixed in rt pixelshift branch.
Amazing.
03-17-2017, 10:52 AM   #274
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Homo_erectus Quote
Thanks very much.

On the mac the equivalents are in ~/Library/Application Support/RawTherapee and ~/.Config/RawTherapee
Did it end up working for you?

There could also be older installations in your main C:\Program Files. There could be some older RawTherapee installations/folders in there that could also be causing the issues.

03-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #275
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Did it end up working for you?

There could also be older installations in your main C:\Program Files. There could be some older RawTherapee installations/folders in there that could also be causing the issues.
Still not super stable on the mac, haven't tested on the windows machine yet. I guess my two main mac issues are bugs that have been fixed in newer builds and it's easy enough to not do the things that cause those crashes. But, this morning I was working in RT and it crashed to desktop when I changed to a new directory in the browser. After restarting RT I was able to work in a number of different directories without crashes though.

I see on the RT forums that there is a link to daily builds for windows but there aren't any for the mac version. I'd be happy to run a daily build and test things on the mac if it'd help to get that version more stable and polished. I'm not willing to go through the hoops of compiling and all that though. I have little enough spare time as it is.
03-19-2017, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #276
Veteran Member

Thanks to you,
I can use Pixel Shift on my MacPro computer, Let me kiss you all after having my french chocolate drink this morning!
I couldn't stand DCUP5 as it is not stable. Besides, I hate the design.
So for MacOs Users, try this first release of RawTherapee to enjoy your Pixel Shift pictures...

Support for Pentax pixel shift files on MacOs Sierra - RawTherapee - discuss.pixls.us

You can use DxO DNG files with RawTherapee if you wish. RawTherapee converts DNG files in Tiff. I didn't for the example..
Best regards.

Here's an example of a picture taken with a Pentax K-1 and Leitaxed Leica Apo-Extender-1.4x & Apo-Telyt-R modular 280/2.8 W.O. to make an Apo 400/4. On a tripod at 1/50s & Iso250.
Crop is exactly the same but picture shift reflects the Pixel shift process.

Crop100% without Pixel Shift

Crop100% with Pixel Shift

Last edited by teiki arii; 03-19-2017 at 02:43 AM.
03-20-2017, 01:08 AM   #277
Veteran Member

Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 60/2.8 Pixel Shift MacOs RawTherapee

Just an experiment of Pixel Shift in Rawtherapee on the first MacOs Sierra release. I didn't know where to put my pictures to illustrate differences between with and without Pixel Shift rendering. For the experiment, I used a Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 60/2.8 @4.8, Iso100, 1/3s on a tripod with natural light coming from the back. I underexposed the picture by 1.3 EV according to the exposure indication and pushed it to +1.65 EV at RAW process. Besides, after Tiff conversion I used LR6.8 to push "clarity" to +30 to watch the different behaviour between the two pictures... sRGB Jpeg conversion made in LR6.8.
Img1799 = with Pixel Shift and Img1800= without Pixel Shift.

the First picture with Pixel Shift module & the Second one without Pixel Shift module.

the First picture with Pixel Shift module Crop100% & the Second one without Pixel Shift module Crop100%.

the First picture with Pixel Shift module Crop100% & the Second one without Pixel Shift module Crop100%.

To summarize, with Pixel Shift after DNG conversion to Tiff pictures in MacOs Sierra RawTherapee:
- dynamic is better,
- colour scale is also richer but subtle,
- less noise,
- smoother tonality transition,
- better resolution..

After Tiff conversion to jpeg, differences are more marginal except for resolution... So you actually won't see on these jpeg pictures the differences although they exist... PS to be reserved for photo enlargement or to get better dynamic on static subjects... and so more..

Not only on static subjects. The motion correction in RawTherapee pixelshift works quite good. In fact that was the part of pixelshift in RawTherapee we spent most of the development time, because other software we tested mostly failed at motion correction (sometimes miserably). Of course for regions with motion you won't get the advantages of pixelshift, but for regions without motion (the static parts in same picture, maybe that's what you meant by 'static subjects' and I misunderstood) you will get the advantages (better resolution if region is in focus, less noise ...).

The point is that current opinion was to avoid using pixelshift when there is motion in the scene, especially moving water. With RawTherapee that's no problem anymore.

Last edited by teiki arii; 03-20-2017 at 01:42 AM.
03-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #278
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The PixelShift feature will shine to suppress moiré and with aliasing artifact. Grain details (as in a texture) is not what makes PS most interesting. Concerning flowers, there should be a benefit in resolution of flower's leaves, especially if not in a close up. Just guessing.
03-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #279
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Anyone here a real pro at using Darktable? I find using their sliders & junk to be really difficult. Trying to pick on the tiny sliders is really tedious. I'd really like to learn how to use it.
03-20-2017, 04:14 PM   #280
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
darktable has several ways to control a module interface. My favourite is to right-click on a slider which will bring up a "whisker" type control. Grab the whisker with your mouse and move it around to where you get the effect you like. You can also directly enter numerical values into a slider for ultimate control.
03-20-2017, 05:45 PM   #281

QuoteOriginally posted by Ariis Quote
The PixelShift feature will shine to suppress moiré and with aliasing artifact. Grain details (as in a texture) is not what makes PS most interesting. Concerning flowers, there should be a benefit in resolution of flower's leaves, especially if not in a close up. Just guessing.
To get the advantages of pixelshift resolution you have to avoid apertures above diffraction limit (for example you won't get much more resolution when you shoot at F16).
The advantage on moiré and aliasing is often visible also in downsized images but also most likely only in areas which are in focus.
The advantage of reduced noise is visible in all parts of the image but by nature more visible in the darker parts and on high ISO shots. But even on low ISO shots there is a clear advantage concerning noise.

Another advantage is that (at least with RawTherapee) you can process each of the 4 frames of the pixelshift raw as it was an own shot. That means you don't need to pixelshift combine the 4 shots, you can also pick the one you like most and process it like any other non pixelshift shot (though that's only a side effect of the implementation in RawTherapee)

Another side effect of the pixelshift implementation in RawTherapee is, that you also can process each individual frame of 3-in-1 pentax hdr raw files. Combining them will follow later (maybe with rt 5.2)
03-27-2017, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #282
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

New processing profiles with slightly revised tone curve & NR settings.

Try them out!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 04-03-2017 at 08:00 AM.
03-27-2017, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #283

I need some sample files

I plan to integrate merging of 3-in-1 Pentax HDR files into RawTherapee. To do this, I need sample files.

In first step I will try to simply merge perfectly aligned frames into one hdr frame.
To do that (especially to test that) I need a really good 3-in-1 HDR file shot from tripod (with M-Up, if possible)

In second step I will try to adapt the motion detection algorithms made for Pixel Shift to this processing.

In third step I will try to align the 3 sub-frames of a a 3-in-1 HDR file

But as I wrote above: For the first step I need a perfectly aligned 3-in-1 HDR raw (PEF or DNG should not matter). I would greatly appreciate if someone could provide such a file.

Ingo
03-27-2017, 11:21 PM   #284
Veteran Member

Hi Ingo,
I shall try it for you in a few days... Keep in touch.

EDIT: done...

Last edited by teiki arii; 03-28-2017 at 07:00 AM.
03-28-2017, 12:45 PM   #285
Veteran Member

Hi Ingo,
Electronic shutter unfortunately doesn't work with HDR with or without SR. As I shot on slow speed shutter, I think the HDR file tonight is not good. I send it anyway when finished uploading... You tell me and I am trying some more tomorrow on daylight....
teiki.

EDIT: seems to be ok...

Last edited by teiki arii; 03-29-2017 at 12:14 AM.
Closed Thread