Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 130 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #331
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thank you! Maybe it is not the bug per se but if one wants to select dark frames for DFS manually one can choose only one file which means the funcionality of this tool is limited, while it seems possible to use average of multiple files from dark frame directory when picked up automatically.

I opened a new issue - hopefully I'm clear enough.

06-16-2017, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #332
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just wanted to drop a "thank you" note for Squirrel Mafia... I recently installed the new version of RawTherapee and thought, why not install SM's latest profiles... I have to say they are very good, especially the new "Pro" ones that I hadn't tried before. They saved me so much time in PP, I think I'm ready to ditch Corel Aftershot Pro completely and move 100% to RawTherapee. Those profiles plus the HaldClut film emulations make me very happy indeed.

Here are recent examples (xposted of course) where I applied SM's profiles, a film emulation and then just played with a gradient filter a bit in the first two.
The last one was taken without a tripod at f/2.4 (35mm) so there's quite a bit of the image out of focus, but you can tell that the areas that are in focus got nice and clean, and the in-to-out-of-focus transitions give the image a bit of a 3D feel, so I kept it. The colors were good to begin with and I made them pop just a bit more with the Astia 100 emulation.

06-16-2017, 09:16 AM - 2 Likes   #333
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ You're welcome. Can't beat open-source & free. Heh!

This software can do a ton of things, but all the settings make it overwhelming for the new person trying it, hence why I created these processing profiles to give them a good starting point. Less stuff to fidget with & once they see what each setting kind of does, they can advance even further with their own settings & tweaks.

UPDATE!

Here are my latest processing files. I turned on the Auto-correction for the Chromatic Aberration in the Raw tab for all the ISOs. This will reduce the purple fringing a bit on some lenses, particularly the wide angle lenses like the Pentax DA 10-17mm & DA 12-24mm. You'll still have to mess with the Defringe settings in the Detail tab to remove the purple and/or green fringing as necessary. The only downside is a very slight reduction in color vibrance overall, but most people will not notice it. Since I turned on the CA, I had to revise ISO 25600 & 51200 ever so slightly.

Try out these processing profiles before deleting your old ones. Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 07-11-2017 at 09:52 AM.
06-20-2017, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #334
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Try out these processing profiles before deleting your old ones. Have fun!
The community needs more people like you! - great job on those profiles and Raw Therapy coverage - love the app also btw.

06-21-2017, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #335
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Thanks. I'm glad you like the processing profiles & app. I use it almost all the time. I'm basically sharing my years of trial & error with these processing profiles.

I'll also use DxO once in a long while, but it's mainly for high ISO 12800 to ISO 25600 stuff.
06-21-2017, 09:51 AM   #336
Veteran Member

^ Thanks. I'm glad you like the processing profiles & app. I use it almost all the time. I'm basically sharing my years of trial & error with these processing profiles.

I'll also use DxO once in a long while, but it's mainly for high ISO 12800 to ISO 25600 stuff.
How about deciding after some date to make these self installing? It also would be nice for RT to check for updates of itself.

Many people aren't as deft at the updates as others are which means when I get them downloaded to my desktop, I can't remember what to do. Anyone in the crowd like that too?

RONC
06-21-2017, 10:31 AM   #337
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ I don't know how to make these self installing. That requires programming skills that I lack. They could be included into the RawTherapee releases, but I don't know if that would be a good thing, given that these processing profiles are a bit more catered to Pentax cameras than anything else.

A self update feature for Windows would indeed be really awesome. On Linux it will typically come in as an update, depending on if you installed it through the distribution or used some kind of PPA or something. On windows, one has to update manually when a new version is released.

06-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #338
Veteran Member

^ I don't know how to make these self installing. That requires programming skills that I lack. They could be included into the RawTherapee releases, but I don't know if that would be a good thing, given that these processing profiles are a bit more catered to Pentax cameras than anything else.

A self update feature for Windows would indeed be really awesome. On Linux it will typically come in as an update, depending on if you installed it through the distribution or used some kind of PPA or something. On windows, one has to update manually when a new version is released.
I think that I should venture over to RT land and make the RT update a request for inclusion in RT and inquire about what we can do to automate the pp3 distribution. Your pp3 files are Pentax limited but other brands have followed a Pentax related innovation before.
RONC
06-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #339
Forum Member

This is clearly a fantastic program. I downloaded it (and the film simulations posted earlier in this thread), and have been playing with it a bit - but I'm so lost.

As a lightroom user mostly, I have a pretty decent understanding of what most the terms mean, (excluding wavelets. Completely lost on that) and can basically eyeball the differences as you move sliders. But overall, I just don't get it. I have a cross country (and cross europe) trip coming up that I'm hoping to actually use pixel shift feature more on - which basically means I need to learn this program. Can you guys recommend a tutorial or page that kind of clarifies things fairly well? I saw there's a wiki page for it...

Also, I have no idea how to use the film simulation bits. I pointed the halcut to the directory, and have them as options in the color tab. However, clicking different simulations, doesn't change the image at all. Am I missing something?
06-23-2017, 12:22 PM   #340
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Did you turn on the film simulation?

You can pick a simulation & have it selected, but if you don't turn it on, it won't do anything. It's the little power button to the left of it.
06-23-2017, 12:35 PM   #341
Forum Member

^ Did you turn on the film simulation?

You can pick a simulation & have it selected, but if you don't turn it on, it won't do anything. It's the little power button to the left of it.
That little power button. Wow. I feel like a dummy.
06-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #342
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hahaha! No worries.

This program has a slightly steep learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be amazed at the things it can do. I've been using it for more than 3 years now & I still find new things that I can do with it. There are sections that I still haven't really figured out how to use or optimize images with like Retinex, CIECAM 2002, & some other options in some of wavelets.
06-23-2017, 03:43 PM   #343

CIECAM 2002
This is really worth a try. Though I optimized the processing speed of this tool (it was and still is very computation intensitive), I really can't give advice how to use it best. But even then I almost always get pleasing results very easily when I use it.
06-24-2017, 06:07 AM   #344
Veteran Member

Need user documentation

RT has many options that are very useful but most users have no idea what they do or how to use them.

If any of you who follow RT have knowledge of options please supply documentation aimed at a user level. Before and after examples with how parameters were chosen would be good starting point. Now it the programmers who expected to both program and document it. Maybe we can help the programmers by supplying some of the documentation and the programmers fill in the missing pieces. We don't need thesis type documents but user how-to.

Keep in mind that a very high percentage of user questions go unanswered as they don't know what to ask. Many people lurk around the forums hoping someone else will ask their question. I get many emails asking for help where the writers have no idea what to ask.

RONC
07-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #345
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm only working with a GED diploma

I wound up uninstalling it because I couldn't figure it out. At some point will probably try again...
Closed Thread