Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2017, 04:55 PM   #376
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
If it relates to RT, do you mind sharing? I have the Vivitar 14mm and would be interested in your method although I don't see too many problems with the lens that need correction other than edge distortion which is just part of all superwide lenses.

---------- Post added 07-29-2017 at 05:08 PM ----------

I'm sure this has been explained along the way but what is the proper way to update to a new version of RT in Windows? I'm a newbie to RT and just started with the previous version but it sticks in my mind (from reading this thread way back somewhere) that updating is a two step process and involves deleting some files in addition to removing the old RT version????

Is it just as simple as removing RT using Windows and then installing the new version? Is there a way to preserve profiles created in the older version?

Thanks
Well, it's easy if you have Adobe Camera Raw installed on your computer. Mine were hidden, so I switched on "Show hidden files and folders" in Windows 10 control panel, then went to my drive C, then into a hidden (and now visible) folder "Program Data" which contained folder named "Adobe", inside you'll need to navigate to "Camera Raw > Lens Profiles. I simply copied the folder "1.0" from there and pasted into my RT install folder, simply to have easy access to it. Now in RT go to "Transform" tab, scroll down till "Lens correction profile", click Browse and navigate to a folder where you pasted the "1.0" folder. Inside you'll see a bunch of profiles, broken down by manufacturers, I clicked on Rokinon and then chose 14 2.8 from the available profiles.

07-29-2017, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #377
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@scotty1

The button you clicked is to open a Processing Profile, i.e. a *.pp3 file. DCP profiles can be loaded in the ICM tool, from the Color tab.
07-30-2017, 05:58 AM   #378
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ariis Quote
@scotty1

The button you clicked is to open a Processing Profile, i.e. a *.pp3 file. DCP profiles can be loaded in the ICM tool, from the Color tab.
Hi Arris

Oh how do you do that?

I loaded the k5 profile here,via the colour tab. When i click on processing profiles at the top right, it doesn`t show any custom profiles.

So is the K5 profile in there for processing or is it not that simple?
Attached Images

Last edited by scotty1; 07-30-2017 at 06:20 AM. Reason: txt
07-30-2017, 06:37 AM   #379
Forum Member

Ok so now i have a photo taken with my K5 in the editor. And the K5 profile loaded

Is there a way to save the custom profile or do i select the one i need each time i edit?

EDIT

just noticed the save current profile option!!

Thanks Ariis

Attached Images

Last edited by scotty1; 07-30-2017 at 06:41 AM. Reason: add image
07-30-2017, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #380
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scotty1 Quote
just noticed the save current profile option!!
Moreover, you can Ctrl+clic on that save button to select the tools to save. It means that you can save the ICM tool only. In that case, when you'll apply your saved profile later on, it will only set the ICM tool. That's what we call a "partial profile", and it's very handy to apply ICM, Denoise and Color effect separately through partial profile (for example).
08-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #381
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I'm attaching a new batch of non-pixel shift processing profiles with some minor updates. The tone curve has been slightly retweaked from the last time & I'm experimenting with luminance curve detail & median filter settings. Trying to remove specks while still trying to keep fine detail.

Before deleting your old profiles, download these & give them a try. I only have the non-pixel shift ones at the moment. The previous set of pixel shift processing profiles remain the same.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to install the processing profiles so that they show up in RawTherapee's Processing Profiles section.

Download the the appropriate processing profiles. Extract the folder(s) out of the zip to your desktop or wherever you want.

Once you are done installing RawTherapee, you will need to navigate to RawTherapee's "profiles" folder. Basically the path to the folder should look something like this. It might be named a little different depending on how you installed it, but you get the gist of it.

WINDOWS (need to have administrator privileges)
C:\Program Files\RawTherapee\profiles

LINUX (need to have root privileges like using "gksudo nautilus" in Ubuntu for example)
usr/share/rawtherapee/profiles

Once you navigate to the "profiles" folder where you'll see "BW", "Faded", "Generic", "Pop", "Portrait", etc. folders, place the folder(s) that you extracted from the zip(s) inside the the same "profiles" folder. That is all. Windows might ask you for a confirmation.

It gets a bit more trickier in Linux 'cause you have to set folder permissions or else RawTherapee won't start or if it does start, you might not be able to select your processing profiles. The easiest thing I have found to do is to copy one of the existing folders, rename it, delete its contents, & paste the processing profiles into it. The Linux heads will know what to do.

If you can't install the processing profiles into that "profiles" folder for whatever reason, then just manually load the profiles that you want to use by pressing the "folder" button right next the area where you select the processing profiles on the upper right hand side in RawTherapee. You navigate to wherever you placed the processing profiles at.

But wait! What do the processing profiles do? They are a good starting point for developing pictures. Instead of fumbling around with the all the options trying to figure out the optimal setting, these profiles have the settings kind of figured out for you. Once you select the appropriate processing profile, you can start tweaking color, exposure, or whatever else to your liking.

Remember that the PIXEL SHIFT processing profiles are for Pixel Shifted images. You'll get weird looking images if you use them on non-Pixel Shifted images. You can use the regular processing profiles on Pixel Shifted images, but you're not going to get the clean Pixel Shifted image. It will look like a regular image.

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 09-21-2017 at 09:00 AM.
08-15-2017, 05:12 AM   #382
Veteran Member

Installation advice

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that you it can be simpler to install your profile with an added benefit : just look at the File paths page of RawPeadia. In short, you'll find a profiles folder inside your config directory (see the said page to find where it's located on your system) where you should store your profiles. This folder is directly accessible from the Save profile dialog window, on the left side (you should be there already at the opening of the dialog).

The added benefit is that you can ask to hide the bundled profiles and only show yours (saved in that Profiles folder). See the Processing tab of Preferences.

08-15-2017, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #383
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Very true. I guess I'm old-skool & still do everything manually. Hahaha!

In Windows, navigate to:

C:\Users\<your Windows name here>\AppData\Local\RawTherapee\profiles

^ What's in red could vary a bit, but you get the gist of it. You'll probably have to turn on the ability to see "hidden folders" in the file explorer settings in Windows. Once you get to the profiles folder, place the processing profiles in there. Done.

If you only want to use your own processing profiles & don't want to see the ones that are installed with Rawtherapee, open up RawTherapee & click on the Preferences button on the lower left hand side. The Preferences window will appear & then you click on the Image Processing tab. In the section that reads Default Processing Profile, uncheck the Use bundled profiles option. Voila! You'll only see your own processing profiles along with the (Neutral) & (Last Saved) profiles. If you want to use the bundled profiles, just check the Use bundled profiles option.

Similar thing in Linux. You'll have to turn on the hidden files to see the config folder for RawTherapee. My guess is Mac is the same way.
08-17-2017, 07:32 PM   #384
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a quick thank you for this thread. I've been a user of LR an Ps for many years, but I refuse to do any sort of subscription. I've known about RT for a while, but just started playing with it. Thanks to this thread, my learning curve for RT shortened quite a bit. Since I do my own cataloguing, I'm not dependent on a LR type program, although it did most everything I wanted it to. Also, I'm enjoying the presets.
08-18-2017, 06:49 AM   #385
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You're welcome. I also used Lightroom & occasionally Photoshop at one point, but once they started to do that subscription deal, I figured that it was time to go & try something else. I picked up RawTherapee due to it being the same on Linux & Windows. The rest is history.
08-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #386
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I'm uploading an experimental set of processing profiles for non-pixel shift images that use RL Deconvolution to retrieve fine detail. The end result is a picture that's a bit more sharper, has a bit more fine detail, & has colors that look a bit more solid, but that comes at the cost of having a slightly larger & chunkier noise grain. I had to change some settings in the Detail, Wavelet, & Raw tabs in order to use RL Deconvolution sharpening. It's just an experiment for now. I'm going to keep playing with these to see what else I can do.

You can get the latest non-pixel shift processing profiles BY CLICKING HERE or you can get the latest pixel-shift processing profiles BY CLICKING HERE.

So yeah! Try them out & give me some feedback. Thanks!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 09-21-2017 at 09:00 AM.
08-22-2017, 01:37 PM   #387
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I'm uploading a revised version of the experimental processing profiles. I'm skipping the RL Deconvolution sharpening with these. I'm using the median filter to reduce the grain ever so slightly. The pixel-shift versions only have a slight tweak to the tone curve. Everything else is the same. No median filter tweaks for them. This is my latest batch so far. Installation instructions are a few posts above this one.

I'm still leaving the older processing profiles in this thread. You can get the previous non-pixel shift processing profiles BY CLICKING HERE or you can get the previous pixel-shift processing profiles BY CLICKING HERE.

Have fun!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 04-30-2018 at 11:52 AM.
08-22-2017, 08:40 PM   #388
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a question. I installed the most recent Processing Profiles from above. When I apply them to a photo, I noticed the photo will darken considerably. For a good print I'm adding about 1/3 stop compensation after the profile. Could this be because I'm using a K3? Or could it possibly be something else entirely?
08-23-2017, 07:34 AM   #389
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ RawTherapee is showing you only what the sensor sees. There are no adjustments or anything else. It doesn't copy what the camera's jpeg engine does. Sometimes a camera will underexpose & then the jpeg engine will overexpose to give you a shot that looks great without clipping, but when processing the RAW file in RawTherapee, the image looks underexposed. You basically have to do something similar by manually raising the exposure a bit.

I get this too with some of my K-50 shots. Not all the time, but there will be times where the OOC jpeg is much brighter than the processed one, so I'll have to increase the exposure a bit. If it's too much, I'll end up using a higher ISO processing profile to offset the difference.
08-23-2017, 12:40 PM   #390
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, that explains it then. As I investigated I found I had inadvertently set the camera to -1/3 compensation while hiking. When I loaded the images, the looked fine, or maybe a bit overexposed. Once I applied your profile, they were all exactly -1/3 of a Stop too dark.

Thanks for the info.
Closed Thread