Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #406
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know if this has been posted already... but back in February, someone in the pixls.us forum created some additional Fuji film emulation presets based on the results he gets from his Fuji XE2 camera - by a pretty clever way. He explains it in his blog. There's only a handful of emulations but in some instances they work better than the standard RawTherapee HaldClut files! In particular if there are bright colors, especially white, they seem to preserve detail better.

The developer's name is Stuart Sotherby and he posted his thoughts and a link to download here: Fuji Film Simulation Profiles – Stuart Sowerby

A RawTherapee developer in the pixls.us thread asked permission to put these in the RawTherapee HaldClut package but I just checked and the last update to it is still from 2015. But in the future they might make it in there...

Give them a try!

Here are two files that worked much better with these Fuji Lut emulations and have otherwise minimum processing:

The white rose in particular, had its whites washed out a bit more with detail loss when using other emulations even after I reduced the exposure.

I'm pretty sure I'll cross post them to the bokeh thread...

Last edited by ChristianRock; 10-12-2017 at 11:21 AM.
10-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #407
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Those indeed are pretty good. I typically use his version of the Fuji film simulations versus the ones from the RawTherapee HaldCLUTs. I also like some of the Kodak ones like the Ektachrome 100 vs Generic, Kodachrome 64 Generic, & the Portra 800 1-. It depends on how the lighting & colors appear 'cause each one of those can make or break a picture.

UPDATE!

I'm uploading my latest batch of PP3 files with some minor tweaks here & there. These are quite different from my previous 2017-08-22. If you pixel peep an image, you'll notice the differences between the 2 batches. If you want to compare this latest set to the 2017-08-22 batch, you can download the non pixel shift version by clicking HERE or the pixel shift version by clicking HERE.

So yeah! Download this new batch of PP3 files & give it a whirl.

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 04-30-2018 at 11:52 AM.
10-15-2017, 08:37 AM - 2 Likes   #408
Forum Member

Question and long-winded situation.

Played with a pixel shift shot I took in Yosemite using rawtherapee... absolutely loved the result. Will use it more.
However, I exported as a 16bitTIFF and brought it into lightroom to print. Colors came out wacky and wrong, so I printed a dng file from lightroom. Colors came out correct. So then, I brought that same tiff into photoshop (by the way, spyder calibrated monitor, icc profile set to the paper i use, all printer color adjustment is disabled, told lightroom/photoshop respectively to handle colors) which yielded much greater results... but still wrong. Also made test prints using the different perceptual/relative/absolute rendering intents. Perceptual/relative were very close in results, suprisingly.

When exporting your rawtherapee tiff file, do I need to set the color space in that program? Or any other settings that you need to adjust for a more accurate print from lightroom/PS?

Total newb at this software...

(also, condensed jpeg of the rawtherapee/pixel shift file attached)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by dflorez; 10-15-2017 at 08:42 AM. Reason: slightly sharpened attached photo
10-16-2017, 07:39 AM   #409
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Color Management - RawPedia

^ This section should help you out as far as what you're trying to achieve. Check out the Output Profile section.

I'm also not sure if your Lightroom/PS is running it's own color profile that is throwing off the color.

10-16-2017, 07:48 AM   #410
Forum Member

Thanks!! I'll use that as a reference and keep on playing... /\
10-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #411
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Be sure to check your color profile in Lightroom and make sure it matches the output program. Any time I imported from another program and got wacky colors on print, it was because my color profiles didn’t match.
10-26-2017, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #412
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I'm uploading a new batch of PP3 files. I basically got rid of the sRGB profiles & combined the Non-Pixel Shift & Pixel Shift PP3 files into one folder/directory. I'm simplifying the naming convention. The name starts off with the YEAR/MM/DY Pentax PP3. Everytime I update them, they will get a new date. They should appear at the very top of your Processing Profiles list if you install them. You will see each ISO with a Non-Pixel Shift & Pixel Shift name. The majority of users will be using the Non-Pixel Shift ones & those shooting with the Pixel Shift feature (K-70, K-3II, KP, K-1), use the Pixel Shift ones.

Well, give them a whirl.

11-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #413
Forum Member

Hi,

I have found that when i open some tif files in RawTherapee 5.2, the RAW section does not allow you to select any functions. I have tried clearing the pp3 files and resetting to default. Some tifs work ok, all the other functions colour,detail,exposure work though. The method function is not hilighted and is set to AMaZE. The DNG files seem to be ok.

thanks
11-08-2017, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #414
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ It could be the way the tifs were saved. That's my only guess.

I only use RawTherapee for straight from the camera RAW files & nothing else. I use GIMP for tif, jpeg, & other similar image files.
11-11-2017, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #415

QuoteOriginally posted by scotty1 Quote
when i open some tif files in RawTherapee 5.2, the RAW section does not allow you to select any functions.
Tif files are already demosaiced. For that reason you can't use the tools in raw section for tif files.
11-11-2017, 08:10 PM   #416
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What program is everyone using to print? I’m not finding a print dialogue in rawtherapee and I don’t like using the Windows print tools as I lose much of my control. I’ve been experimenting with DxO, but even it falls short of what I could do with Lightroom.
11-13-2017, 11:24 AM   #417
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
What program is everyone using to print? I’m not finding a print dialogue in rawtherapee and I don’t like using the Windows print tools as I lose much of my control. I’ve been experimenting with DxO, but even it falls short of what I could do with Lightroom.
There are tons of image viewer out there that can print your image. Okay, there's not Print button, but that's not a big deal for the average user. Most of us do send jpeg files to print service. If I want to print myself, I'm using IrfanView on Windows. You even have the possibility to open a developed image by a simple shortcut key (don't remember which) in your favorite image viewer, ready to be printed.
11-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #418
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I've attached a set of updated PP3 files. I revised the tone curve to be a bit more on the natural side, instead of being a bit too punchy. I also changed some other NR settings & junk. There are still some older PP3 files attached to this thread if you want to compare them.

I've been trying to toy around with Darktable lately, but I still can't quite match the results that I get out of RawTherapee. I'll be experimenting with it for a while & if I can figure it out, I might eventually start a Darktable thread.

Well, give these new PP3 files a whirl & see what you think.

11-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #419
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just gave the new PP3 files a quick once over on a couple of higher iso (400-800) from my istDL. I like the results more from the new ones, well done!

I've been playing with the DxO program lately. It's interesting, but not nearly as complete as rawtherapee. I'm planning on doing a bit more with it soon.
11-17-2017, 12:01 PM   #420
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Thanks. It's a fine line between trying to reduce noise & keeping the fine detail intact as the ISO starts to climb. I use these for my K-50 RAW files. I feel comfortable shooting up to ISO 12800 & will use ISO 25600 in a pinch.

I pretty much turn everything at ISO 12800 & beyond to black & white using the Ilford Delta 400 HaldCLUT most of the time. The images look pretty darn good up to ISO 25600 when doing that. They have some nice grain that gives the image some character. Reminds me of old ISO 800-1600 film.

I use DxO on occasion as well. The output of these PP3 files mimic some of the settings that I use in DxO. Some weird demosaicing artifacts start to appear at ISO 6400 in DxO for my camera that I don't see in RawTherapee, but the images still look very good.

As for Darktable, it's been a struggle to get anything decent out of it. I'm almost at the point of giving up.
Closed Thread