Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 130 Likes Search this Thread
03-23-2018, 04:13 PM   #451

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ Even then, I'm quite certain that heckflosse would be able to tweak a few lines of code to get it to work properly if necessary.
I don't agree. Most likely PS processing in RawTherapee will still rely on a not moving camera (e.g. using a tripod). An exception could be if we would know about the movement of the camera (which may be encoded in the tags of the raw shots), but even then I think that's overkill and not worth the effort.

03-23-2018, 05:13 PM   #452
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe the K-1 Mark II will still have the old pixel shift modes in addition to the new Real Resolution stacking mode.
03-23-2018, 05:17 PM   #453

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
the new Real Resolution stacking mode
What does 'Real Resoultion stacking mode' mean in comparison to 'old pixel shift mode` ?
03-23-2018, 06:20 PM   #454
Veteran Member

Dynamic Pixel Shift

I believe that Dynamic Pixel Shift relies on your (the camera) movement and a log of the sensor movement to decide which pixels colors go into which pixel location. I would expect that the volume of log data is large and that's part of the reason for the accelerator chip in the K1MII. I think that the DPS will come from the camera as a single raw/jpg file with the Bayer pattern taken care of.

Conventional Pixel Shift the sensor shakes by moving one pixel between shots but dynamic PS the camera shakes and the sensor records the movement to figure where the sensor was at each time. If you don't move the camera you get a normal record with Bayer pattern applied in the non-Pixel Shift manner.

RONC

03-24-2018, 02:59 AM   #455
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@rechmbrs

I still need to see it in action, if you can point me to sample shots where it can e.g. suppress moiré, otherwise 36MPx w/o PS or DPS is enough.

I'd prefer that they concentrate on dynamic range instead. I think about a trick that, if technically possible, would greatly enlarge DR. It's an obvious solution when associated to the "stacking" concept 😉
03-24-2018, 03:29 AM   #456
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ariis Quote
Pixel Shift Dynamic is... to be well balanced, a pure marketing operation. It can be enabled while shooting handheld, but moving the sensor by one pixel in this situation given the size of the sensor's pixel just makes me LAUGHING OUT LOUD. I'd like to see an example where you have better resolution, as less noise doesn't count.
I think you have to understand what this Pixel Shift Dynamic is. I don't think it is intended to do the same thing as normal pixel shift. Without a stable base, it isn't going to be possible to be precise about one pixel shifts while hand holding.

My guess is that it is more like super resolution through taking multiple images, something like this: A Practical Guide to Creating Superresolution Photos with Photoshop

The camera will have some sort of auto-alignment algorithm -- same as with hand held HDR -- the combined images will have some increase in resolution and decrease in noise as compared to a single shot. I still think that normal pixel shift is preferable when you have a tripod handy.
03-24-2018, 06:02 AM   #457
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think you have to understand what this Pixel Shift Dynamic is. I don't think it is intended to do the same thing as normal pixel shift. Without a stable base, it isn't going to be possible to be precise about one pixel shifts while hand holding.
My guess is that it is more like super resolution through taking multiple images, something like this: A Practical Guide to Creating Superresolution Photos with Photoshop
The camera will have some sort of auto-alignment algorithm -- same as with hand held HDR -- the combined images will have some increase in resolution and decrease in noise as compared to a single shot. I still think that normal pixel shift is preferable when you have a tripod handy.
Your interpretation of the two different Pixel Shift modes seems to make eminent sense...

03-24-2018, 05:54 PM   #458
Veteran Member

@Rondec @teiki arii Then it's not Pixel Shift anymore.
03-24-2018, 06:07 PM   #459
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, it is. It is just more of a random pixel shift than a specifically calibrated one.
03-25-2018, 12:36 AM   #460
Veteran Member

Hello Ariis ,
I agree, it should be called "Malapropism", shouldn't be? But marketing section did her job, I suppose...
Anyway, it's a new kind of super resolution to be considered in some situations where needed (where tripod is not suitable) and where Pixel Shift can't be used... working on the principle that "if you can do (more) something complicated, you can do (less) something simple".. As long as K-1 II owners are able to use "classic" Pixel Shift of K-1, it's not an issue IMHO.
Let's wait and see...
03-25-2018, 03:29 AM   #461
Veteran Member

DPS

Super resolution is a stacking process whereas Pixel Shift is grab the correctly positioned color and make a composite - no stacking. The sensor knows what camera motion has taken place so the Accelerator chip can figure what fits where. It seems it could be 1 pixel or 5 pixels from the standard as long as it decides it fits.

Stacking can be very useful but also it can do more damage than good.

Hopefully Pentax will explain more and get some examples out for us to peruse soon.

RONC
03-28-2018, 01:47 PM   #462
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I've uploaded some experimental PP3 files. They have some major noise reduction & wavelet tweaks. Colors come out a bit more vibrant. They do have the auto-matched curve tone in them. The style defaults to film-like. You can manually switch the tone curve to standard if you want to get more saturation.

You can always browse the attachment thread for older PP3 files. Just click HERE to browse through all the attachments.

You need to have RawTherapee 5.4 for these to work. Try them out & let me know what you think.

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 04-30-2018 at 11:52 AM.
04-03-2018, 10:26 AM   #463
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

This is my newest set of PP3 files. There are some NR tweaks & other stuff. They're making good use of the auto-match tone curve. Once again, you need RawTherapee 5.4 to use of them.

You can always browse the attachment thread for older PP3 files. Just click HERE to browse through all the attachments.

Try them out & let me know what you think.

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 04-30-2018 at 11:52 AM.
04-03-2018, 01:25 PM   #464
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure how to ensure the correct profile collection is being used for auto-matching. For example, how do I ensure 2018-04-03 Non-Pixel Shift is being used when I'm browsing in a directory of images? If I open one image in a directory, and then load a specific profile, will this then be used by default, if I open a 2nd image in this session? What about between sessions? Can RT be set up to remember the last selected profile collection, for auto-matching other folders yet to be loaded?

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 04-03-2018 at 01:41 PM.
04-03-2018, 02:13 PM - 2 Likes   #465
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Ah! That you will need to set that in the preferences. Download the zip & extract the PP3 file that I have attached to this post to the same location as the ones in the image. Then open up RawTherapee & go the preferences, which is that tiny little icon on the lower left hand side. A new window will appear. Click on the Image Processing tab. Where it reads "Default Processing Profile - For raw photos:", navigate to that PP3 file (Auto-Matched Curve - 0 Edits). It's basically the Neutral processing profile with the auto-tone match enabled. Nothing else is enabled, but this will give you an idea of what the file looks with the default tone curve, but no noise reduction or anything else added to it. Then you select the proper processing profile according to the ISO & go from there.

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 01-09-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Closed Thread