Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2016, 07:44 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I am also reluctant to be held to a subscription. Thank you all for so much information! I realized yesterday that I had photoshop elements on my computer. I've never used it so I thought I would play around a bit. Well, it crashes every time I open it. Turns out, I have version 4.0. Oops, should have used it when I could. I think it must have come with my K20D when I got it in 2008.

01-07-2016, 07:53 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by doroth2 Quote
Turns out, I have version 4.0. Oops, should have used it when I could. I think it must have come with my K20D when I got it in 2008.
Elements 4 is older than that. It came out in 2005.
01-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Elements 4 is older than that. It came out in 2005.

I bought a Pentax point and shoot in 2005. Maybe that's where is came from. Found the install disk as well, but it doesn't work either. Definitely time for something new.
01-07-2016, 08:53 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am running Lightroom 6. My current problem is the extra clicks to stop Lightroom 6 from trying to "access the server" as I am not using the server. More nagging, but no way I am going to rent this.

01-08-2016, 04:53 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I'd stay away from any subscription scheme.

Before you commit to the standard license version of LR6, I'd encourage you to look at Capture One 9.

After having used LR for years, I'm currently evaluating CO 9 and am very impressed with the flexibility of the UI and, first and foremost, the image quality. I'm getting much better images straight away with a lot less mucking about to get natural colours.

I found a small bug, reported it and got a positive response from Phase One straight away. That never, ever, happened with Adobe.
01-08-2016, 05:21 AM   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I found a small bug, reported it and got a positive response from Phase One straight away. That never, ever, happened with Adobe.
Actually, that's a good point. I had (and still have) one problem with LR6, using "Edit In..." to edit images in Photoshop Elements 14. It opens Elements, then LR kind of sits there and times out after a minute or thereabouts, then gives an error message, before Elements brings up the image (I eventually set up a work-around - an export to TIFF that opens up Elements immediately afterward - but it took me a while to figure that out). I tried to get in touch with Adobe, but as a stand-alone product licence holder, it seems the only support you get is via the forum - which is very poor, in my opinion. In fact, the only responses I got to my support query were from other users, not Adobe themselves. That said, I like the software enough to keep using it, but Adobe's support structure for stand-alone products is appalling... Worth bearing in mind if that's a deal breaker for you.
01-08-2016, 09:36 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
but Adobe's support structure for stand-alone products is appalling... Worth bearing in mind if that's a deal breaker for you.
Adobe rates right up there with Microsoft for customer support. I am happy with Lightroom except for its gawd awful insistence on attempting to contact a nonexistent server account. I have two copies of LR 6 -- one my wife uses and the one I use. When Adobe stops support I will keep using them until the cows come home.

PS: I have never owned a cow in my life.

01-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you do intend to use Photoshop, or need something for graphic arts beyond just retouching images, then get the subscription. It's quite a bargain.

If you are going to need to upgrade on a regular basis, get the subscription. As you can see with Elements, no software is permanent as long as you change systems. You will need to upgrade some day, and if you are pretty regular on upgrading (i.e. don't skip an upgrade, or keep to the same Mac OS for a long time, or don't need new features like the HDR in Lr or its panorama function), then the standalone might be a better deal.

Be aware that those of us who opt for subscriptions have the deluxe version, sorta, and part of what we are paying for are features (like localized haze reduction, etc) that are rolled out into the sub version but will not be in the perpetual version until the next big upgrade. So check the differences carefully. And Lr Mobile only works with the subscription version. You also get Bridge with the sub.

And as noted, there are alternatives. I had VERY negative experiences with Phase One support, and it's pricey, but don't rely on anecdotal reports; they have a demo you can try. Aftershot Pro is relatively cheap, and pretty quick. There's also Photos Supreme, and some open source projects like DarkTable. Or, if you do a lot of synching with other devices, Mylio, although it isn't as comprehensive an editor.

If you don't need the organizational aspects of Lr, there are standalone editors, like Affinity Photos. It's kinda like a lighter weight, but cheaper, Photoshop. Most all of these can be demo'd, and it matters a lot if YOU find them easy to understand and use.
01-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #24

Original Poster
I've signed up for the 30 day Lightroom trial, but will likely buy the stand alone version at the end. I had the same OS on my Mac until a program for school forced me to upgrade a few years back, and I've only just now upgraded again. I'm not too worried about having the latest and greatest, at least not as far as software is concerned. As far as Lr for mobile, I downloaded the ap for free before I signed up for the trial, though I doubt I'll use it much.

I do have one other question. If I decide to purchase the stand alone version of Lightroom, how do I switch from one to the other? Do I need to uninstall the version already on my computer? What happens to the photos I've already edited? How does that work?
01-11-2016, 02:20 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by doroth2 Quote
I do have one other question. If I decide to purchase the stand alone version of Lightroom, how do I switch from one to the other? Do I need to uninstall the version already on my computer? What happens to the photos I've already edited? How does that work?
You have three parts to this:
Lightroom the software
The Lightroom catalog
Your images

Your images stay separate so that does not matter, just keep those files in sub-directories all under one directory like"Pictures" or "Photos".
The catalog can also be passed between versions, even between Mac and PC with no issues. Just make sure you know where yours is located and where the backups are.
The software AFAIK can have both versions installed with no issues. Not sure about the trial version though. I went from standalone to CC version and had both versions installed for a while. Just run the executable for the one you want. Though obviously running two versions at the same time is confusing and not recommended.

Your edits, assuming you edited the RAW files are saved in the catalog. Unless you export to jpeg in which case the edit is baked into the jpeg.
01-11-2016, 03:38 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

School? check for academic versions. I believe the academic version of Lr is half price; the CC subscription is the same price.
01-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #27
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
And Lr Mobile only works with the subscription version.
I don't think that part is correct? I have the perpetual version of LR6 and I also have LR Mobile... works just fine for me
01-11-2016, 07:23 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
School? check for academic versions. I believe the academic version of Lr is half price; the CC subscription is the same price.

Grad school, but that's been over for a few years, so no student discounts for me.
01-11-2016, 08:01 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No need to uninstall LR 6. Just input the license that Adobe will email to you in the current stand alone version you have on your Mac.
01-11-2016, 08:08 PM   #30
Forum Member

Consider digikam.org as an open source "Lightroom." I've used it for years. Most robust and latest in Linux, it's home team. But well ported to Windows.