Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2016, 05:02 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Image viewing - jagged lines

Power lines, and some other lines, usually at a distance, seem to be jagged with K-3 jpg at 4000x6016pixels on BenQ VA 8bit panel 1920x1080 24", nvidia graphics 760, jaggies, not so apparent with the K-5 with jpg at 3072x2048. Using gnome image viewer with smooth zoom options enabled. When I zoom in everything smooths out nicely.
What am I looking at here and what do I need to do about it?
Thank you.

01-11-2016, 06:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Let me be clear I am just guessing here, but I think the problem is that your graphic card isn't doing a good job at downscaling the high resolution images. Use Lightroom, Photoshop, Gimp or whatever software you use to scale your pictures from 4000*6016 to either 1920*1080 for best performance on your BenQ or to 3072*2048 for similar performance as with your K-5 pictures.
I don't think there is something else you can do to improve the appearance of your pictures.
01-11-2016, 08:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Which algorithm is your viewer using?
If it's using just the basic nearest neighbour, that's the "issue".
01-11-2016, 02:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
Let me be clear I am just guessing here, but I think the problem is that your graphic card isn't doing a good job at downscaling the high resolution images. Use Lightroom, Photoshop, Gimp or whatever software you use to scale your pictures from 4000*6016 to either 1920*1080 for best performance on your BenQ or to 3072*2048 for similar performance as with your K-5 pictures. I don't think there is something else you can do to improve the appearance of your pictures.
Thanks othar, the images I'm viewing are jpg straight from camera, I would hope a Nvidia GTX 760 would be capable, didn't want to down size just to do a viewing only. However on second thought maybe could choose a lesser jpg setting in camera, maybe that would work.

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Which algorithm is your viewer using? If it's using just the basic nearest neighbour, that's the "issue".
Cheers LensBeginner, not sure what algorithm used in Gnome Image Viewer, but I did see a difference for the better in using Shotwell, and indeed the problem not in Irfanview on Win 7, just a very small evidence is all but would have to look hard. Haven't noticed when I use Lightroom but will double check that. I have been using GIV for sheer convenience as it is easy to use as a viewer.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
K-5 has an anti-aliasing filter, K-3 does not. Therefore, K-5 images will degrade more gracefully in terms of jaggies when scaled down. Simple as that.
Hello dcshooter, might do some tests with the AA simulator, will need to check the manual again, loads of testing with the new K-3, a different beast.

I am wondering if a higher resolution screen maybe 24" or 27" with say 2560x1440, any sugestions as to a screen or if that would help? Maybe something that packs more pixels into the inch.