Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2016, 04:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Need software

Hi all, my new K3-2 should be here today, and I'm now looking for raw processing software. I'm done with photoshops cloud deal, and would like software I buy once. I'm running a 12 core 3.06 gig Mac Pro desktop which is mainly used for my 3D Modeling/ Rendering software. Any suggestions on software set to work with my k3-2 raw images? Was looking at Pixelmator.

01-21-2016, 04:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As a Mac user, my top choice would have been Aperture until Apple nixed it Apple and Adobe over the years seem to fluctuate between competing (good for consumers) and then compromising (bad for consumers) their products for Macs. I found that the old Aperture did a better and more intuitive processing of RAW files compared to LR.

So unless you can find a used version of Aperture 3, Lightroom 6 is my recommendation. I don't know what your expectations are, but the industry benchmark remains Adobe Lightroom 6 and you can still buy a non-cloud one time version either as a DVD or as a download:

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6 (DVD) 65237578 B&H Photo Video

Considering the long term costs for CC, the one-time version at $142 is reasonable. If you work at a school or non-profit, you can get it from sites such as creationengine for as little as $80: Creation Engine - Search Results
01-21-2016, 04:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
As a Mac user, my top choice would have been Aperture until Apple nixed it Apple and Adobe over the years seem to fluctuate between competing (good for consumers) and then compromising (bad for consumers) their products for Macs. I found that the old Aperture did a better and more intuitive processing of RAW files compared to LR.

So unless you can find a used version of Aperture 3, Lightroom 6 is my recommendation. I don't know what your expectations are, but the industry benchmark remains Adobe Lightroom 6 and you can still buy a non-cloud one time version either as a DVD or as a download:

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6 (DVD) 65237578 B&H Photo Video

Considering the long term costs for CC, the one-time version at $142 is reasonable. If you work at a school or non-profit, you can get it from sites such as creationengine for as little as $80: Creation Engine - Search Results
Is the one time version updatable? I had bought Photoshop Elements off the App Store, and that version will never see an update! Adobe also won't let me update it through thier site! Adobe really sucks!
01-21-2016, 04:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tony, I suspect any one time version from Adobe will not have updates simply because they are trying to force photographers to be CC lifers. I, thus far, have refused to go that direction although in the long run it sort of makes the most sense as we upgrade hardware and OS frequently enough that Adobe has to make ends meet with developing new software constantly.

But consider a one time $142 investment equal to about a year on the cloud. I think if you're planning to upgrade your OS or buy the K-1, in the next couple of years, then maybe this is not the way to go. But if not, you'll probably not want or need an upgrade for perhaps 3 years, in which case, this is a good value.

Ultimately the question is: Does Pixelmator or some other RAW processor do what you need it to do with relative ease for less $$? Perhaps, but I haven't found it yet.

01-21-2016, 05:14 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a PC and have cc and dxo optics and their film pack and perspective manupulation software. I'm often more pleased with that package - but it doesn't do library management.
01-21-2016, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

Your K-3 came with Digital Camera Utility 5 (free). Why don't you use it? It is a powerful tool, albeit sometimes cumbersome.
01-21-2016, 05:29 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Corel Paint Shop Pro X7 fully supports the K-3 and can do 90+% of what Photoshop does (I use PSP X4 with my K-r). Since X8 just came out, X7 Ultimate is available at Amazon for less than $40.

Amazon.com: Corel PaintShop Pro X7 Ultimate [Old Version]: Software

Great program for such a low price.

Tim

01-21-2016, 05:31 AM   #8
Unregistered User

I like Silkypix. I avoid anything made by Adobe - they have a reputation for writing code that's resource-hoggy, and everything they do requires too much Adobe control and intrusion, in my opinion.
01-21-2016, 05:33 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Hi all, my new K3-2 should be here today, and I'm now looking for raw processing software. I'm done with photoshops cloud deal, and would like software I buy once. I'm running a 12 core 3.06 gig Mac Pro desktop which is mainly used for my 3D Modeling/ Rendering software. Any suggestions on software set to work with my k3-2 raw images? Was looking at Pixelmator.
This one is the best: install | darktable
01-21-2016, 06:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Your K-3 came with Digital Camera Utility 5 (free). Why don't you use it? It is a powerful tool, albeit sometimes cumbersome.
I tried software with my K7, and found it extremely slow, and sluggish. Maybe it's improved over the years. I'll give it another shot!
01-21-2016, 06:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Affinity Photo?

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/
01-21-2016, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Corel Paint Shop Pro X7 fully supports the K-3 and can do 90+% of what Photoshop does (I use PSP X4 with my K-r). Since X8 just came out, X7 Ultimate is available at Amazon for less than $40.

Amazon.com: Corel PaintShop Pro X7 Ultimate [Old Version]: Software

Great program for such a low price.

Tim
And Windows only.

@Tony3d If you are not going to use Lightroom CC or 6, 6 will be upgradeable to 7 if there is a 7, then Affinity seems like the best deal in commercial software at the moment. At least download the trial version...

Darktable has its adherents as well. It's free, so you might as well try it. RawTherapee too...

RawTherapee Features
01-21-2016, 08:42 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tony,

If you want to use the pixel shift mode of the K-3II, you will need to get familiar with DCU5 as it's currently the only software that will handle the RAWs from PS. Also bear in mind that DCU5 has been built to get the best quality out of the RAWs and will therefore likely outperform other software, especially the free ones.
01-21-2016, 08:45 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
And Windows only.
RawTherapee Features
You are correct. My eyes glazed over as I read through his system description and I failed to see the MacPro portion of his post. Thanks for catching that.

Tim
01-21-2016, 08:59 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by veato Quote
Affinity Photo?
Well worth checking out; I have been using it for a while and am very impressed. But I've been using it for PP on film scans, so I haven't tried it for raw conversions yet. For that I still like the Mac-only Iridient Developer.