Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2016, 05:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pixel Shifting & Virtual Tours

I use a K3 and the Samyang Fisheye to generate virtual tours using HDR Fusion and a stitching program called PTGui and Panotour Pro. What I need to start the process is a five exposure sequence for HDR. Shooting in RAW the files are converted to TIFF after being corrected in Camera Raw..

I need some help deciding about upgrading to a K-3II from my K-3. Since I need five exposure sets of TIFF files my question is:

Can I use the K-3II multi-exposure capability to take five shots at -2, -1, 0, +1, and +2 EV in RAW using Pixel Shift?

How do I process the resulting "pixel Shifted" RAW files to generate TIFF files that maintain the added resolution of pixel shift? Currently what I do is shoot a calibration shot with a WhiteBal Card and a MacBeth Color Chart. I use the Macbeth chart to generate a camera correction for the tour shot sequence. I bring all the raw files into Camera Raw, synchronize the files, apply White Balance; apply camera correction and save as TIFF files. The result is a set of TIFF files ready to be stitched that have correct White Balance and are also color corrected for the lighting conditions and the lens/camera.

MY QUESTION:
Does Adobe Camera Raw recognize Pixel Shift RAW images? If not what do I need to do to get Pixel Shifted images into Camera Raw to correct for White Balance and Camera Correction?

Thanks for your help.

01-24-2016, 06:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Afaik you can't shoot bracket photos in conjunction with pixel shift. The 4 images pixel shift utilizes, raw or JPEG are data processed in camera. ACR recognizes the raw pixel shift file as it would any raw file it's just a lot bigger around 100+mb.
01-24-2016, 06:02 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Can I use the K-3II multi-exposure capability to take five shots at -2, -1, 0, +1, and +2 EV in RAW using Pixel Shift?
I don't believe so (since extra processing is needed for each shot), but you should be able to bracket and do this manually.

Does Adobe Camera Raw recognize Pixel Shift RAW images? If not what do I need to do to get Pixel Shifted images into Camera Raw to correct for White Balance and Camera Correction?
See:
Pentax K-3 II Review - Processing Pixel Shifted RAWs | PentaxForums.com Reviews

There are also some pixel-shifted files you can play with at the end of the review.

The latest version of ACR does support pixel shifting, but it looks like their algorithm isn't quite as good as Pentax's own (i.e. the one used in-camera and in the latest version of PDCU).

To be honest, though, you're probably not going to see a noticeable difference in the final product unless your virtual tours are in extremely high resolution. Do you have an example you could share?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-25-2016, 04:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the response. For now I will stick with the K3. We'll see if the new full frame is in my future but that would require a full frame fisheye - a much bigger investment than just going to the K3II. I will probably just wait until next fall (hopefully) for the Pentax K3 follow on.

01-25-2016, 07:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Afaik you can't shoot bracket photos in conjunction with pixel shift. The 4 images pixel shift utilizes, raw or JPEG are data processed in camera. ACR recognizes the raw pixel shift file as it would any raw file it's just a lot bigger around 100+mb.
Thanks - we'll have to meet on one of my trips to Conowingo. Have the visiting eagles left to build their nests?
01-25-2016, 09:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks - we'll have to meet on one of my trips to Conowingo. Have the visiting eagles left to build their nests?
For the most part, there have been a few but not enough to freeze your butt off waiting for them.
01-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why not just use a longer focal length lens and take more shots for the stitch to increase the resolution ? Pixel shift seems a bit of an overkill for a fisheye. Mind you, so does doing one stop increments for HDR ...

01-25-2016, 06:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Why not just use a longer focal length lens and take more shots for the stitch to increase the resolution ? Pixel shift seems a bit of an overkill for a fisheye. Mind you, so does doing one stop increments for HDR ...
Thanks for the good suggestions. One stop seemed to work for the cathedral I finished - pretty wide swing in lighting from candle lit corners to large skylight windows. What range would you recommend? I also found pure HDR was a little too cartoonish and felt I achieved better results using HDR Fusion.. I will try longer lenses good suggestion.
01-26-2016, 03:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I will try longer lenses good suggestion.
The Samyang 8mm FE is nice in that you can get away with only 4+2 shots to cover 360 degrees. With a longer focal length lens you'll need more shots but you'll end up with better resolution in the final pano - this can be taken to the extreme

It is a trade-off between the effort needed for both shooting and processing and the amount of detail that you want to capture.