Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2016, 08:09 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K3 such a huge difference in colours. Between DCU and lightroom.

I have been using lightroom since it launched and never really looked into another software until now. I was told by a friend that the softwares which comes with cameras render colour better because they work on it. I didn't believe him.

But to try I downloaded the pentax DCU software. Clicked a portrait in reversal film setting. Now DCU reads these custom images on DNG files. I am pretty good with lightroom so I now tried matching that
1. DNG in DCU with reversal film and
2. DNG in lightroom and it's impossible.

I am breaking my head since almost 9 hours now. But I simply cannot get that tone. In lightroom, specially the skin is so towards pink/orange. And no matter what I simply cannot get it. If I remove that ting, it affects other colours in the photo. I am really interested now to match these because it seems impossible.

Anyone has ideas here. Did you try to match these with success?

Are there any pentax k3 profiles that might help in camera calibration module?

Thanks in advance

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Irfanintekhab; 01-29-2016 at 09:16 AM.
01-29-2016, 08:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Irfanintekhab Quote
I have been using lightroom since it launched and never really looked into another software until now. I was told by a friend that the softwares which comes with cameras render colour better because they work on it. I didn't believe him.

But to try I downloaded the pentax DCU software. Clicked a portrait in reversal film setting. Now DCU reads these custom images on DNG files. I am pretty good with lightroom so I now tried matching that

I am breaking my head since almost 9 hours now. But I simply cannot get that tone. In lightroom, specially the skin is so towards pink/orange. And no matter what I simply cannot get it. If I remove that ting, it affects other colours in the photo. I am really interested now to match these because it seems impossible.

Thanks in advance
Are you using the adobe standard profile or the embedded profile in LR/PS? I bought the huelight profile and love it. Great skin tones.
01-29-2016, 08:21 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Are you using the adobe standard profile or the embedded profile in LR/PS? I bought the huelight profile and love it. Great skin tones.

Using embedded but even if I use adobe standard. Those orange pink tones won't go
01-29-2016, 08:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Thanks in advance
I think the issue is that DCU, in order to do the Reversal Film emulation, is doing pixel level alterations to the image that LR is not capable of doing. I may be wrong, but I think you might need other software to accomplish the same look.

01-29-2016, 08:34 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
I think the issue is that DCU, in order to do the Reversal Film emulation, is doing pixel level alterations to the image that LR is not capable of doing. I may be wrong, but I think you might need other software to accomplish the same look.

That could be true. But that makes lightroom not much useful if it can't reproduce a specific result.
01-29-2016, 08:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

That could be true. But that makes lightroom not much useful if it can't reproduce a specific result.
Can you post photos to show the differences?
01-29-2016, 08:55 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote

Yes I'll do that in sometime

---------- Post added 01-29-16 at 09:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
added the pictures for some reason they come rotated. But you can see the difference. This is the closest i could come by making a profile in Adobe DNG profile manager thing. So maybe a profile would do good. But unfortunately we dont have accurate profiles for pentax k-3 in lightroom that would closely match the camera renderings. Unlike canon, nikon, fuji sony and much more. really sad right now

01-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The huelight profiles are highly regarded:

Huelight Pentax Camera Profiles
01-29-2016, 09:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The amount of orange/pink in the skin is because of the large orange/pink umbrella over his head. Not because of the color profile.
01-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
The amount of orange/pink in the skin is because of the large orange/pink umbrella over his head. Not because of the color profile.

I know that. But I have nothing to do with the umbrella. I am just trying to replicate the reversal film process and it's so tough. I have also compared natural and other and it's very tough to mimic the tones rendered from dcu in lightroom. But someone just gave a profile link. I'll check that.

---------- Post added 01-29-16 at 09:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
The huelight profiles are highly regarded:

Huelight Pentax Camera Profiles

Thank you so much for this link. Will try out and post here.
01-29-2016, 09:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I know that. But I have nothing to do with the umbrella. I am just trying to replicate the reversal film process and it's so tough. I have also compared natural and other and it's very tough to mimic the tones rendered from dcu in lightroom. But someone just gave a profile link. I'll check that.

---------- Post added 01-29-16 at 09:40 AM ----------

Thank you so much for this link. Will try out and post here.
I linked to those as well, but they don't replicate the in-camera jpeg processing engine. DCU can, because its made by Pentax and has the algorithms they used in-camera. Lightroom is made by Adobe and doesn't have those algorithms. You'll have to do it by hand, as you have been.
01-29-2016, 09:53 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
I linked to those as well, but they don't replicate the in-camera jpeg processing engine. DCU can, because its made by Pentax and has the algorithms they used in-camera. Lightroom is made by Adobe and doesn't have those algorithms. You'll have to do it by hand, as you have been.

Oops I purchased those then. What do they do then?
01-29-2016, 09:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Oops I purchased those then. What do they do then?
Its an alternate color profile, just like embedded or adobe standard, you get one called huelight (and a few variants). Its a custom profile that I think does a better job at rendering colors than the others.
01-29-2016, 10:13 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are lots of things that LR can't do since it wasn't designed to be a pixel level editor. And to say that it is not useful is sort of throwing the baby out with the bath water.
01-29-2016, 10:14 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This is what you would expect being that the RAW converters are different as are the default profiles. That is what makes RAW so powerful. The initial (default) interpretation is only the starting point. DCU takes its cues from the camera's JPEG settings embedded as metadata. Lightroom uses an initial import profile that is customizable. That is why they differ.

Steve