Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Lightroom 6 DVD

I have been using Aperture for years, but I'm thinking of buying Lightroom 6 on DVD. If you buy the DVD version will Adobe offer upgrades for it? I had bought Photoshop Elements off the iTunes store once, and Adobe won't offer any upgrades for it. Really sucks! Won't buy into there subscription deal!

02-02-2016, 05:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
With LR6, you will get future updates for bug fixes, support for new cameras, and new lens profiles that Adobe creates, but you will not get new features that the Lightroom CC subscription gets. Unless you must upgrade your Mac to an OS that doesn't support Aperture, I find Aperture must faster and get better color in working with RAW files. I would not be surprised that Adobe and Apple will once again have some dispute and Apple will release something to truly compete with LR....but that may be in 2-3 years. History repeats (I'm remembering when Adobe discontinued a Mac version of Premiere when Final Cut Pro first came out. Then they returned to Mac years later.)
02-02-2016, 05:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Simpler to just buy the download version from the Adobe website. No reason for a DVD. That way if you need to re-download you just go to their site.

The stand alone version is here: https://creative.adobe.com/products/download/lightroom You do have to sign up for an Adobe ID. This is the free trial, once you have it up and running just buy a license.

The subscription model has a lot of people hating on it, but I've found it to be a bargain if you use Photoshop. If all you want / need is Lightroom then the standalone version is fine. Just be aware you will not get interim feature updates like the subscription version.
02-02-2016, 06:44 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
but you will not get new features that the Lightroom CC subscription gets
See below...

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Just be aware you will not get interim feature updates like the subscription version.
That is how it works. Adobe may provide feaure updates and fixes through the conventional update mechanism. Major feature changes are bound to major releases. With the subscription model features are rolled out as they become available. Sometimes that is a good thing and sometimes it isn't. As jatrax also points out, a CC subscription is a good deal for people who use both Photoshop and Lightroom and not such a good deal for those that only use Lightroom.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-02-2016 at 06:49 PM.
02-02-2016, 11:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all. Not interested in photoshop, as I'm currently using Afinity Photo, and find it an excellent photoshop replacement!