Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Aperature to Lightroom?

Hi all, if you already own Aperature 3, would there be any great advantage dumping it for Lightroom 6? Not interested in the cloud suite, just Lightroom 6 dvd. Also how much of a project would it be to transfer the library's? I have many thousands of photo's that were corrected in Aperature. Thanks.

02-09-2016, 01:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lots of advantages.

But first, is that Aperture 3? or 3.6? I ask, because 3 is already far far outdated, and you may not be able to import that library into Lightroom.

The biggest advantage is that Aperture is dead, and no longer being maintained, so at some point you won't be able to use it at all. But it lacks features that more modern image processors have.

It's a big pain to switch over especially if you have adjusted images in Aperture. Capture One can make sense of those to a certain degree, but there may be some adjustments that aren't accomodated. But check. For Lr, it can import Aperture 3.6 libraries, but you lose the adjustments. Many solve this by exporting previews. I think the application Aperture Exporter is a better choice for this.
02-09-2016, 01:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very interested in this thread as I'm in the same boat as the Tony3d. Hoping others who have done this can share their experience.
02-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Lots of advantages.

But first, is that Aperture 3? or 3.6? I ask, because 3 is already far far outdated, and you may not be able to import that library into Lightroom.

The biggest advantage is that Aperture is dead, and no longer being maintained, so at some point you won't be able to use it at all. But it lacks features that more modern image processors have.

It's a big pain to switch over especially if you have adjusted images in Aperture. Capture One can make sense of those to a certain degree, but there may be some adjustments that aren't accomodated. But check. For Lr, it can import Aperture 3.6 libraries, but you lose the adjustments. Many solve this by exporting previews. I think the application Aperture Exporter is a better choice for this.
You save your changes by importing your important files as tiffs, and your not as important files a jpegs before you switch over. I'm avoiding the switch. If I do get a lightroom DVD, I will continue to use Aperture for current files and just use lightroom for the new ones.

I'm just wondering, is there a lightroom equivalent of brushes in Aperture. It's one of our most used features? Being able to brush on contrast and saturation etc. has been a treat, for an old photoshop user.

02-09-2016, 02:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm just wondering, is there a lightroom equivalent of brushes in Aperture. It's one of our most used features? Being able to brush on contrast and saturation etc. has been a treat, for an old photoshop user.
Hey, Norm, yes there is, and it's implementation may be even better. Plus the GRAD tool, etc.
02-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There is an adjustment brush in Lightroom. Not exactly like the brushes in Aperture, but Adobe wasn't in full M$ copy mode.
02-09-2016, 04:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Lots of advantages.

I do have Aperature 3.6

02-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is the Aperture Import plug-in options screen.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 6.30.10 PM.png
Views: 269
Size:  81.4 KB

As you can see, there is an option to import full size previews from the Aperture Library. These are JPEG previews, so if you want TIFF files you need to do an export from Aperture. This option slows things down a bit too. It took like 2 days to import my library with previews. This works with Aperture 3.5.1 and up.
02-09-2016, 04:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I moved from Aperture to Lightroom a few months ago, because Aperture will stop working at some stage and is dead as far as Apple is concerned.

I much prefer the Aperture workflow and file handling. Lightroom is better with lens profiles, correcting CA, automatic perspective control, and especially noise reduction. Otherwise, most editing capabilities are comparable. There are quite a few where Aperture is actually superior, or at least more convenient.

You can completely import your Aperture library into LR, but without the edits. If you want to retain (or at least mimic) those edits, I would recommend Capture 1 as a better option than LR. It is more expensive though, and can't be used with the 645Z if that's an issue.

For the moment, I haven't migrated my old images. They stay in Aperture while it still works. Putting off the evil day. Maybe Photos will be useable by then.
02-10-2016, 09:50 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you do wanna go the route of adding your adjusted Aperture images to Lr, I think Aperture Exporter is a MUCH better solution than the Lr IMPORTER. And it sets up the photos in Lr with more info intact.

If you use a referenced Aperature library, Lr can reference the same images. You can use both, just making sure one doesn't step on the other. Doing a bit of reorganizing in Aperture can help. It also helps to store as much organizational info in the image file metadata as possible. Ratings, pick/reject flags, virtual containers (like projects/folders/albums) and other info can be stored as keywords in the files; then when those files are imported into another product like Lr that info is available, and it's easy to reconstruct the same functional organization as you had before in Aperture.

I once used Capture One, and liked their default RAW processing. But it just didn't have the organizational and especially metadata tools I needed (for geolocation, hierarchical keywords, etc etc). And it's quite expensive. But some like the interface, and at the end of the day it's worth paying for what you find easier to use. In my tests some of the Aperture-adjusted images didn't quite come through after import as I liked, but Aperture is a pretty old program and that may be down to its limitations, or maybe just to the fact that Capture One can do more with the RAW than Aperture can (or Lr). Things have progressed since Aperture went into decline and sometimes it's worth redoing images in more modern software; some rejects are salvagable now.
02-13-2016, 02:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, I purchased Lightroom 6 desktop version. My Aperature library is made up of Jpegs with maybe a few Raws. Will my adjusted versions of these Jpegs transfer over to Lightroom using the plugin in Lightroom? Is the preview option setting in the Lightroom plugin only for raw images? If all I want are my Jpegs adjusted versions, can I leave the previews unchecked to save time? Also my Aperature library holds all my files internally. How is this handled in Lightroom? Thanks!
02-13-2016, 04:49 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Ok, I purchased Lightroom 6 desktop version. My Aperature library is made up of Jpegs with maybe a few Raws. Will my adjusted versions of these Jpegs transfer over to Lightroom using the plugin in Lightroom? Is the preview option setting in the Lightroom plugin only for raw images? If all I want are my Jpegs adjusted versions, can I leave the previews unchecked to save time? Also my Aperature library holds all my files internally. How is this handled in Lightroom? Thanks!
In Aperture, you have the option of either Managed (internal) or Referenced (external) files. LR has only external. The import process in LR should ask you where you want to keep the files.

Aperture editing is non-destructive (certainly true for RAW, and from what I read, also true for jpeg, though I never shoot jpeg). That means your edits are saved in the Aperture bundle as a set of instructions, rather than in the original file. LR does not know how to interpret those instructions, as the tools are different. If you want your edited picture from Aperture to be imported into LR, I believe you need to export it, perhaps as a TIFF. I guess you can also export a stand-alone jpeg from Aperture (modified from the original), and then import it to LR, but since jpegs are lossy, there will be some information loss.

I keep all my originals on an external disk that can be referenced by both Aperture and LR. It is therefore easy to re-edit in LR any of my old pictures if needed. Of course, the edit would start from scratch and may not look much like what I did in Aperture, and you can't (easily) combine edits from the two programs. As far as I know, only C1 actually tries to reproduce (approximate) the Aperture edits.

As I indicated before, my attitude is just to draw a line in the sand, with photos before a certain date edited in Aperture, and those after in LR. The two sets are separate. If and when Aperture ceases to work, I will need to do something else.
02-13-2016, 08:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
In Aperture, you have the option of either Managed (internal) or Referenced (external) files. LR has only external. The import process in LR should ask you where you want to keep the files.

Aperture editing is non-destructive (certainly true for RAW, and from what I read, also true for jpeg, though I never shoot jpeg). That means your edits are saved in the Aperture bundle as a set of instructions, rather than in the original file. LR does not know how to interpret those instructions, as the tools are different. If you want your edited picture from Aperture to be imported into LR, I believe you need to export it, perhaps as a TIFF. I guess you can also export a stand-alone jpeg from Aperture (modified from the original), and then import it to LR, but since jpegs are lossy, there will be some information loss.

I keep all my originals on an external disk that can be referenced by both Aperture and LR. It is therefore easy to re-edit in LR any of my old pictures if needed. Of course, the edit would start from scratch and may not look much like what I did in Aperture, and you can't (easily) combine edits from the two programs. As far as I know, only C1 actually tries to reproduce (approximate) the Aperture edits.

As I indicated before, my attitude is just to draw a line in the sand, with photos before a certain date edited in Aperture, and those after in LR. The two sets are separate. If and when Aperture ceases to work, I will need to do something else.
I was under the impression that Aperature versions was a new separate file created by Aperature. In fact I just opened my Aperature library, and it does seem to be. There is a folder called versions, with edited Jpegs in it. I wonder if Lightrooms plugin imports both?
02-13-2016, 01:48 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
I was under the impression that Aperature versions was a new separate file created by Aperature. In fact I just opened my Aperature library, and it does seem to be. There is a folder called versions, with edited Jpegs in it. I wonder if Lightrooms plugin imports both?
See Boriscleto's shot above; see the part about previews? that should handle it. Not as good as exports, but something. I believe Aperture creates previews of versions just as it does for originals.

Last edited by Oakland Rob; 02-13-2016 at 01:55 PM.
02-13-2016, 04:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry I was looking at my Photo library that does seem to hold modified Images in a folder.