Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2016, 09:30 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is there, the second one.

When they first released this system I had to open the link in an icognito browser to copy and paste the image link. Now it seems to work as I explained.

Nice shot by the way.

02-12-2016, 09:40 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks. One of the benefits of being on a frozen lake ice fishing

I'll keep working with the process you explained. Seems to work since you can see it. Still too cumbersome and they could make it much easier.
02-12-2016, 10:06 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
If Google does buy Flickr
that sure would suck. i'd have to reluctantly depart as well...
02-12-2016, 10:32 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
Thanks. One of the benefits of being on a frozen lake ice fishing

I'll keep working with the process you explained. Seems to work since you can see it. Still too cumbersome and they could make it much easier.
Agreed.

02-13-2016, 01:58 AM   #20
Veteran Member

And how does Google think people are actually going to put their images into Google photos? Easiest way is via Picasa desktop app.
Also, there's no API as far as I can tell for Google Photos, so you're out of luck if you want to access images from another web app, but there is for Picasa web.
Why are Google pulling the plug on something when they have no alternative? Do they actually not want people uploading their images, as it costs them money providing storage for all those people on free accounts?
02-13-2016, 03:00 AM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
And how does Google think people are actually going to put their images into Google photos? Easiest way is via Picasa desktop app.
I go into Google Photo and click on 'upload'.
02-13-2016, 03:56 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
According to the release you can keep using it forever or until Windows or Apple screw you on a operating system that wont support it any longer. I`ve spent most of my working life watching these guys go in and out of my wallet in business for myself and becoming totally at their mercy when ever they engineered obsolescence into what I had bought last year.
What time scale are you seeing? My 8 year-old MacBook Pro runs the latest OS X version maybe a little bit slower, but with greater functionality, and no software incompatibility with anything I paid money for (including CS5). Can't speak for the other OS, because my last employer changed the hardware on a three year cycle, allegedly to keep ahead of the Windows changes, but more likely because the IT department wanted to keep themselves in business.
02-15-2016, 01:08 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by john.margetts Quote
I go into Google Photo and click on 'upload'.
That's a right pain if you have images organised into virtual albums in Picasa, while they're in physical folders named by date on your hard drive.

I have over 10 years worth of digital images, all stored in date based folders, and a number of albums in Picasa. The albums make it dead easy to upload a bunch of photos that were taken on a range of different dates that share a common theme.
If I had to browse lots of individual folders to find them, I wouldn't bother.

02-15-2016, 04:08 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a pain in the backside. I use Picasa as part of my workflow to manage photos I've edited in Lightroom ( I shoot in RAW file format) and output via the export function as Jpegs. Picasa is a handy way to catalog them and to then display them on my PC for final checking of quality, then upload via the Share button to Picasa Web. I then use Google and iPad apps to sync these down to mobile devices to carry my better photos around for viewing either for myself or showing others. Picasa app on the pc was an easy way to coordinate all of this and didn't need endless data movement across the net just to see my finalised Jpegs sorted into various different collections (albums).

This is going to cause me to have a major rethink. Lightroom itself is a bit clunky for viewing finalised photos on the Slideshow module and the final JPEG as shown in Picasa looks better to my eyes.
02-15-2016, 04:43 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Such a shame. I too only use Lightroom's Develop module and leave the browsing/library stuff to Picasa.
02-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #26
Pentaxian

All my online albums are on Picasa/Google +. Uploading them is totally effortless since after I edit my shots in Lightroom and export the Jpegs. Picasa finds and organizes every photo album so I simply click on the SYNC option in Picasa and they automatically upload. It is so simple and easy, I have avoided other sites such as Flickr. I certainly hope Google comes out with some sort of Uploading App which will replace that Picasa feature.
02-15-2016, 09:43 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Been through the same path as Reeftool.

Picasa > Elements > LR+PS

Picasa does have a very good way of maintaining the folders and picts (imo).

Any recommendations of anything better (as good ) will be welcome.
LR is too clunky for cataloging and viewing to me, so I only use it as a RAW processor.
02-15-2016, 09:48 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Perhaps you should have put it as "Picasa is DOOOOMED!"
10-12-2016, 10:31 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Select image, hit share button, select link. Open link and copy image url. You can select multiple photos.
I've tried this and it's hit or miss whether the image will display in a forum.

I'm looking for a replacement to Picasa.

What is odd is that older images which are still in Picasa Web Albums can still be linked. Later images that Google put into Google Photo won't display.

I really don't know what on line storage site I should now use.

I'm reluctant to use Flickr or ImageShack, etc, as I've seen too many links broken when those sites have made changes. I have a lot of images in various automotive/motorcycling fora and my technical posts would/could become useless without the pics used to illustrate the post.

I don't even know how I could find all those posts to edit (where possible) to point to new image locations if I did close Google Photos/Picasa.

I may have to start hosting them myself.

Oh, I should point out I do not use social media like FB, Twitter, SnapChat, Instagram, etc, so I have no need to be able to upload photos to them.

Last edited by p38arover; 10-12-2016 at 10:36 PM.
10-12-2016, 10:45 PM   #30
Pentaxian

FWIW, I've been using Flickr since 2010. I have never had a single broken link due to any changes they've made. They have their share of problems, outages, etc, but overall I'm pretty happy with them. I'm using the "free" account with 1 TB storage.