Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2016, 03:52 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I've tried this and it's hit or miss whether the image will display in a forum.

I'm looking for a replacement to Picasa.

What is odd is that older images which are still in Picasa Web Albums can still be linked. Later images that Google put into Google Photo won't display.

I really don't know what on line storage site I should now use.

I'm reluctant to use Flickr or ImageShack, etc, as I've seen too many links broken when those sites have made changes. I have a lot of images in various automotive/motorcycling fora and my technical posts would/could become useless without the pics used to illustrate the post.

I don't even know how I could find all those posts to edit (where possible) to point to new image locations if I did close Google Photos/Picasa.

I may have to start hosting them myself.

Oh, I should point out I do not use social media like FB, Twitter, SnapChat, Instagram, etc, so I have no need to be able to upload photos to them.
I have flickr which I use occasionally, but I also have Onedrive which I access through my Hotmail account. It has certain advantages, for one thing don't get the chatter I get from other social media apps.

10-13-2016, 04:31 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
FWIW, I've been using Flickr since 2010. I have never had a single broken link due to any changes they've made. They have their share of problems, outages, etc, but overall I'm pretty happy with them. I'm using the "free" account with 1 TB storage.
That's good to know, Paul. I'll look at it some more. I do know many of my posts lost their images where I had hosted the images on ImageShack. On an Automotive forum where I'm an Admin, I had to do a fair bit of rework on a chap's very detailed repair thread when all his images hosted by ImageShack disappeared. I made sure they were added as attachments. Generally speaking, where I can, in my posts, I now add images as attachments because of losses like that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
I have flickr which I use occasionally, but I also have Onedrive which I access through my Hotmail account. It has certain advantages, for one thing don't get the chatter I get from other social media apps.
Thanks Liney.

I was wondering about OneDrive. Can one link an image on OneDrive to a post in a forum?

I believe the MS Windows Live Photo Gallery might be the way to go with OneDrive.
10-13-2016, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
FWIW, I've been using Flickr since 2010. I have never had a single broken link due to any changes they've made. They have their share of problems, outages, etc, but overall I'm pretty happy with them. I'm using the "free" account with 1 TB storage.
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
That's good to know, Paul. I'll look at it some more. I do know many of my posts lost their images where I had hosted the images on ImageShack...
My experience with Flickr is much the same as Paul's, except I've been with them a little longer. The only reservation I've got with Flickr is what might happen following Yahoo's sale to Verizon. I don't have any inkling of what, if anything, is being planned, but I can imagine some bean counter looking at the cost of maintaining a whole swag of free accounts, and deciding how best to "monetise" the service.
10-14-2016, 01:18 AM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

p38arover

QuoteQuote:
I was wondering about OneDrive. Can one link an image on OneDrive to a post in a forum?
Yes you can, just the same way as you do with other media sites. Create a link and copy / paste it