Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2016, 04:45 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Picasa is dead

The desktop app is gone on March 16, 2016. Picasa Web Albums sometime after that.

So they will "encourage" users to switch to Google Photos. But there is no desktop organizer for that...even Apple makes an effort to pretend they care about desktop users...

Google Is Finally Killing Picasa | TechCrunch

02-12-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps you should have put it as "Picasa is DOOOOMED!"

Let us just hope they do not somehow acquire Flickr from Yahoo.
02-12-2016, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Google photos seems alright but I hate that it's so hard to post photos on forums. They need to provide an [img] link or make it so you can right click and copy the photo URL
02-12-2016, 04:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Perhaps you should have put it as "Picasa is DOOOOMED!"

Let us just hope they do not somehow acquire Flickr from Yahoo.
Yahoo's a bit vulnerable, at the moment, so don't say that too loud.

Picasa was never much of an editor, but it was a good organiser.

02-12-2016, 05:00 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
What's really funny is that Google Photos has just a fraction of the editing capabilities that Picnik had. Why did they buy it just to kill it? And I wouldn't be at all surprised if they bought all of Yahoo's web properties just to kill them. Yahoo is on its way to being a holding company. Their piece of Alibaba is worth more than the rest of the company combined.
02-12-2016, 05:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
What's really funny is that Google Photos has just a fraction of the editing capabilities that Picnik had. Why did they buy it just to kill it? And I wouldn't be at all surprised if they bought all of Yahoo's web properties just to kill them. Yahoo is on its way to being a holding company. Their piece of Alibaba is worth more than the rest of the company combined.
If Google does buy Flickr, I'll be exiting fairly rapidly, even if they choose not to kill it directly. I have developed an intense dislike for the way they push their real clients at users, even in Google Maps, which is one of their better products.
02-12-2016, 05:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
Google photos seems alright but I hate that it's so hard to post photos on forums. They need to provide an [img] link or make it so you can right click and copy the photo URL
That is the only reason i remain with Flickr, because it is so easy to grab a BBCode link.
(Well plus the fact that I have a SHT load of pictures on Flickr and it would be a huge hassle move them elsewhere).

02-12-2016, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #8
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't use any of those products - but you can see where this is heading. In my academic days (long gone) I argued on a couple of occasions with economists who extolled the virtues of competition. There is nothing wrong with competition. But the benefits are only there while businesses are competing. I have always maintained that at the root of it, the object of competition is to get rid of your competitors. Watch what happens when Google wipes the floor clean. Maybe it will end up an issue for the US anti-trust laws.
02-12-2016, 06:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Bugga! And here was me just getting used to everything Picasa had to offer. So when you say "gone" do you mean completely removed or just no longer supported?

I use Picasa on both my laptop and desktop as an image organiser more than anything else, so if that gets taken away from me I will need to find something else for the job. Any recommendations?
02-12-2016, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
Bugga! And here was me just getting used to everything Picasa had to offer. So when you say "gone" do you mean completely removed or just no longer supported?

I use Picasa on both my laptop and desktop as an image organiser more than anything else, so if that gets taken away from me I will need to find something else for the job. Any recommendations?
After March 16 the download will be pulled. You will still be able to use it if you download it before then, but no more support.
02-12-2016, 06:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

boriscleto

Cheers mate, I can keep on using what I already have!
02-12-2016, 06:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
so if that gets taken away from me I will need to find something else for the job. Any recommendations?
According to the release you can keep using it forever or until Windows or Apple screw you on a operating system that wont support it any longer. I`ve spent most of my working life watching these guys go in and out of my wallet in business for myself and becoming totally at their mercy when ever they engineered obsolescence into what I had bought last year.
02-12-2016, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

This is really too bad. For a complete noob to photo editing, Picasa was a great place to start. When I first bought my K10D, I knew little about about PP and even struggled at first just uploading shots to my computer. Picasa made it simple and easy with an organizer that was automatic and easy to use simple editing tools that do a decent job. In time, I learned more and moved on to Elements and Lightroom and now CC but without Picasa in the beginning, I may well have given up in frustration. I think the Picasa Web Albums have already been moved into Google Photos, as have Google Plus Albums.
02-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
Select image, hit share button, select link. Open link and copy image url. You can select multiple photos.
02-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Select image, hit share button, select link. Open link and copy image url. You can select multiple photos.
Hmm, I've tried all sorts of tricks like this. The other issue is the photo shows up for me or people logged into Google Photos but others cannot see them. Let me try again.

...and again

This second one shows for me but I can never tell if it shows for everyone else.