Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Choosing paper for an image?

Hey all,

I'll admit, this is a project I chose for class, so I'm totally okay with just being directed to helpful books/websites.

How do you choose what on kind of paper to print a given photo? Matte, glossy, metal, lustre, velvet and canvas; it's all a bit confusing.

02-13-2016, 02:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree, lots of choices and I would be interested in answers as well.

I usually use luster, but have some matte paper I also use for some images. Mostly going on, it just looks better. Would love a better criteria
02-13-2016, 02:45 PM   #3
Forum Member

For my own use I prefer art rag paper but for exhibiting I use gloss baryta paper.
02-13-2016, 03:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by john.margetts Quote
For my own use I prefer art rag paper but for exhibiting I use gloss baryta paper.
John can you mention why you chose those? I would like to learn more about when to use a particular paper.

02-13-2016, 03:06 PM   #5
Forum Member

I like texture and prefer my pictures to be on textured paper. If I am shooting mono (and I usually am) I also prefer a cream paper to a bright white one. My preferred paper is made by Tecco.

For exhibiting, I go by what sells best which is high gloss and bright white.
02-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #6
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Hey all,

I'll admit, this is a project I chose for class, so I'm totally okay with just being directed to helpful books/websites.

How do you choose what on kind of paper to print a given photo? Matte, glossy, metal, lustre, velvet and canvas; it's all a bit confusing.
Paper choice is part of your style -- just as; the subject-- taking the image -- the way you edit your image-- creates your style. To have a criteria for paper is like editing prints to a preset - not necessarily creating the best outcome for the subject and how you want to present it. I am currently mainly using Canson infinity photographique rag. I am using it for portraits because it carries the soft tones nicely. My current landscapes tend to be on it and they are printed after being line detect sharpened quite heavily. The result is almost velvity. The paper is capable of showing great detail. What it is not good for is large areas of dark where it seems to kill all detail.
02-13-2016, 04:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Paper matches the image for me. Right now, I use the fine art velvet. I am using Epson because that is what I have but I will switch, I too like textured paper, and also I like a matte or pearl finish.

I don't use any "rules" about matching paper to subject matter, it's just what I think works for my final piece and the look I prefer.