Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2016, 09:40 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ideas for easy but attractive artwork labels for exhibition?

The farm sanctuary where I volunteer as a photographer is going to host an art exhibition for my portraits later this spring. (The sanctuary has a beautiful B&B in a 19th century house, and so we're going to set up the exhibition in the house as a kind of a combination "Open House" / Art Exhibition).

I will be exhibiting about 30-40 framed prints. About 20 of them will be medium-large (e.g., ranging from about 12x15 framed as 18x21 to 16x20 framed as 24x28) and hung on the walls. The remaining smaller prints (e.g., 5x7 framed as 9x11 to 10x10 framed as 16x16) will be propped up on small easels or leaning against mantels etc.

I will need to make display tags for each piece. Some can be attached to walls beside the framed prints and others will be propped beside the pieces that are sitting on easels.

Has anyone made display tags before (or purchased them) and if so, what worked well (or didn't work well) for you?

Note: I have seen a number of articles about what kind of information to display on the tags, etc. - but only one or two articles describing what kinds of materials to use to make the display tags. It's the latter information that I'm interested in.

Also, since my husband and I will be doing most of the prep work ourselves (including making the prints, framing them and hanging them), I am looking for simple solutions - and don't mind throwing a bit of money at the project if it makes my life easier. Mr frogoutofwater is quite handy (but he will have his hands full with framing / hanging). I'm good at layout, and can do it in Photoshop or InDesign, but I'm less crafty than he is.

Thanks for your advice.

02-16-2016, 11:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We use business card stock from the office supply store. Get the more expensive clean cut ones. Run them through your printer and then fold and they break apart nice and clean.

You can use Avery DesignPro software (free download) to print or get a template and print from Word. For 'tents' I don't know, we have done them on card stock and folded them. Regular paper is too flimsy. Not sure but they might have pre-grooved ones at the office supply store as well. Never checked, we just made our own, but if you can get ones already grooved to bend that would be neater.
02-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
We use business card stock from the office supply store. Get the more expensive clean cut ones. Run them through your printer and then fold and they break apart nice and clean.

You can use Avery DesignPro software (free download) to print or get a template and print from Word. For 'tents' I don't know, we have done them on card stock and folded them. Regular paper is too flimsy. Not sure but they might have pre-grooved ones at the office supply store as well. Never checked, we just made our own, but if you can get ones already grooved to bend that would be neater.
Thanks. Do you put any backing on them like foamboard to make them more substantial, or just use card stock? And how do you stick them to the wall?
02-16-2016, 06:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
Thanks. Do you put any backing on them like foamboard to make them more substantial, or just use card stock? And how do you stick them to the wall?
I do not use any backing. They have held up quite well, the gallery I show in does 2 month rotations so the cards have to last that long and they do. I also have been showing in a local restaurant since September and the original cards there look still look good. If you want to use a thin foam backing I'm sure that would be better but so far I have not seen a need.

Attach to the wall in the gallery we use blue painters tape rolled into a cylinder. Always attach with the tape cylinder vertical on the wall not horizontal. If horizontal it will creep and eventually fall off. At the restaurant they use blue sticky putty: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Reusable-Adhesive-Putty-1-Ounce/dp/B0017T0S5K

Someone used yellow putty at the gallery and it stained the wall, no idea what brand it was. But the blue stuff has been great.

02-16-2016, 10:03 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could put a simple small sticker w/ a number, and then have sheets with information about each number. Often these are in plastic sleeve, and where these are picked up a sign asks they be returned on leaving; or just have available copies on standard copy paper.
02-17-2016, 04:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I had suggested the number on sticker approach to the Sanctuary management but they prefer to have a little more info on the labels. I will probably include each animal's name (subject of the portrait) on the label, plus a price category, and supplement it with info sheets that have more information on the animal's back story.
02-19-2016, 08:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

If you can get hold of some "nylon filament yarn" you can do this. (The thinner the better)

Attach on each corner on the back of the card a length of the filament yarn with a dap of superglue and then attach the other ends of the filament to the back of the frame with another small amount of superglue. (Cut the length of the filament the way you want it) Attach them centre, left or right of the frame to your liking. You may have to attach a small amount of ballast to the back of the card to make it hang right. This is an amazing way for those pictures which will be hung on the wall. (And it is easily removed and will leave no marks on the wall. I have done this very successfully.

For laughs, on one occasion, I plugged a couple of long hairs off my nieces head and used this to hang a label (as described above) The label looked like it was floating in mid air. The look on peoples faces was a sight to behold.

Just another idea.

Cheers.