Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 11:23 PM   #1

Editing pef files with ufraw

Hi everyone,

Every time I open a pef file in ufraw, the settings are all over the place and I can't figure out how to get everything back to normal. I've attached two example images with jpg and pef side by side. This is what it looked like when I opened the files.
Am I missing something obvious? Is there a way to reset all these different variables to "default"? Is there an easier way to edit pef files?

Thanks,
Chris

Attached Images

02-20-2016, 08:16 AM   #2

UFRaw - User Guide

QuoteQuote:
There are several sources for these options. The possible sources are listed in the order in which they are applied.
  • First, the options are set to UFRaw's default settings. All subsequent sources will override these settings. Still, it is very simple to return to these settings using the buttons. These buttons are grayed out when their appropriate settings are already set to default. This allows one to quickly see which options were changed. The one exception to this rule is the reset white balance button, whose behavior was explained earlier.
  • Next, UFRaw reads the options from the resource file .ufrawrc located in the user's home directory. This file is created every time you save an image. Notice that this file is not saved if you exit the preview window with Cancel. ufraw-batch also reads this file but does not write to this file.
  • If you open an image using an ID file: ufraw image-name.ufraw, the information in the ID file is used at this point. ID files are created by setting the Create ID file in the (Save) page to Also or only.
  • These ID files can also be used as configuration files using the command line option --conf. You can use these file to hold different sets of configurations for different situations.
  • Next, all the options specified in the command line are applied. If you are using ufraw-batch then these options will be the decisive options. For example, ufraw-batch --temperature=5000, will always create output with the color temperature set to 5000K, no matter what the other configurations contain.
  • In interactive mode, the options you see in the user interface are naturally the options that will be used.

By default UFRaw saves all the settings to the resource file. This is the expected behavior by new users. If you start using UFRaw on a regular basis, you will probably discover that you have your preferred settings. At this point you would like to set Save image defaults to never again. This way you can fix your default settings, and if a certain image requires special settings it won't affect the defaults for subsequent images.
02-20-2016, 10:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Not a Number,

Thanks for your repsonse. I reset all the settings to default using the arrow symbol, but the result is still too red and saturated. It doesn't show up too badly in this image, but in other images with peoples faces, the blurriness is a bigger problem. Am I still missing something?!?

Thanks,
Chris
Attached Images

02-20-2016, 11:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to pentaxforum!

Have you tried using the DNG raw format instead? I believe it is a little more standard and may give you better result. You can change the raw setting in the camera.
Also, you might want ask you question to the developer of the software you are using. I'm gonna take a guess here, but it seems to be an uncommon raw developer and your chances to get proper answers are probably higher there. Of course, nothing wrong in asking other Pentax members in hope that somebody else has dealt with this before.

02-20-2016, 12:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hi kp0c,

Thanks for your reply. I have changed my camera settings to save raw files in DNG, but I haven't had a chance to experiment with it yet.
Going off on a slight tangent: What programs and formats do you (all) use for editing raw files?

Thanks,
Chris
02-20-2016, 04:20 PM   #6

I glanced through the FAQs and this app uses DCRAW to handle the RAW files. I wasn't too sure what it was saying about color management but it seemed to have less support for DNG than the native RAW from the camera (e.g. PEF). It also said something about if the images had a greenish tint an weak colors it was because you need a sRGB color profile for the camera. So maybe try setting the color space in the camera to sRGB rather than AdobeRGB.

RAW Therapee seems to be popular with Pentax Forum members:
http://rawtherapee.com/blog/features

Last edited by Not a Number; 02-20-2016 at 09:29 PM.
02-22-2016, 08:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some people here do use UFRaw if I recall... I think it is often attached to Gimp as a plug-in (sort of like ACR is with Photoshop). I tried UFRaw a long time ago, but I never could get along with it. RawTherapee was more user friendly for me (in terms of free software). LightZone is another free software although it's GUI is a bit abstract and along the lines of Lightroom. I like it's concept, but I've never gotten to a smooth workflow with it.

02-23-2016, 11:03 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try RawTherapee and see if I can make more sense of that.

And about the color profile, my camera was already set to sRGB.

I'll let you know how it goes with RT.
Thanks again,
Chris