Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2016, 09:14 AM   #1

a lot of choices

Hello, new guy here. I see that a lot of folks here seem to be processing their own camera files. So far I've just been letting the camera do that. If I wanted to try my hand at doing it myself, can anyone recommend a good program for a beginner that is fairly straight forward and not overly complicated? Oh, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg

02-24-2016, 09:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think Lightroom is one of the simpler and yet powerful editing systems out there. I use Lightroom 5.0 for my batch processing of photos and it really makes life easy to import, mass customize, and then single edit for a lot of my photos. I believe it's pretty cheap to get (I won't lie, I pirated mine =p) - Looks like it's $40 on google play because the latest is Lightroom 6.
02-24-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

There are about 10 similar threads in this subforum. Takes a bit of digging, though. Probably easiest to find by sorting on number of replies (higher is better).
02-24-2016, 09:24 AM   #4

Original Poster
Tell me about it ...looks like adobe lightroom is one of the more popular choices. Seems like something I could fiddle around with and maybe grow into. I am pretty much new to all of this so I don't have any particular leanings to one thing or another.

02-24-2016, 10:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There are lots of options, but Adobe Lightroom 6 is the defacto software that 90% of all photographers use. Apple's Aperture 3 was my favorite, but has been discontinued. Most of Adobe's software has gone to CC (Creative Cloud) which is a subscription base, but you can still get Lightroom 6 as a download or DVD. Another popular option for around $60 is Adobe's Photoshop Elements.

BTW: Post processing is most effective if you are shooting RAW files. If using Adobe software, then your Pentax will let you shoot RAW as DNG (Adobe's RAW standard). If you are using non-Adobe software, I think shooting RAW as PEF makes more sense. Don't take my word for it: try both and see which looks better with your software.

IF you are shooting jpegs, then your camera is really doing most of the processing and I wouldn't recommend messing with the jpegs other than a little cropping and perhaps dodging and burning.

Last edited by Alex645; 02-24-2016 at 12:29 PM.
02-24-2016, 12:08 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's another vote for Lightroom. I do 90% of editing with it and only send an image file to PhotoShop when there's something I cannot do in Lightroom. PS is for many the benchmark system, but the learning curve is steep, and LR has a very convenient cataloging system (at least I find it convenient).
02-24-2016, 12:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Deals are common on PS Elements, and one can add PS plugins to it for many additional features. Elements feels like its interface has been dumbed down over time but it's still a good place to start. I've tried Lightroom a time or two but for me it's been overwhelming - so PSE 10 will do for now. I have a free SmartCurve plugin, a cheap ReDynamix HDRish one and less-cheap NeatImage for those rare times when noise needs tuning; I haven't used that much since my K-7 and micro4:3 days

02-24-2016, 01:08 PM   #8
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by danidan Quote
Hello, new guy here. I see that a lot of folks here seem to be processing their own camera files. So far I've just been letting the camera do that. If I wanted to try my hand at doing it myself, can anyone recommend a good program for a beginner that is fairly straight forward and not overly complicated? Oh, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg
The free but soon to be discontinued Picasa by Google (https://picasa.google.com/) is a great entry level editor that will help you learn the basics after which you will be able to make a more educated decision for a more complex editor. There is absolutely no need to spend money at this point in your learning curve.
02-24-2016, 01:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

also, maybe the digital camera software that comes with the Pentax cameras
02-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd just like to add that there are a lot of fun and cheaper alternates to Lightroom and Photoshop Elements (and Photoshop), and if your expectations are not too high, they will work well enough. But because of the steeper learning curve on Adobe products, I procrastinated for years and used easier, cheaper, and fun software like Kai's Photo Soap. But it really isn't rocket science to learn LR or PS and I teach 9-12th grade teenagers (14-18 year olds) and some learn quickly, some take more time, but they all get it.

When I look back at all the years I avoided Adobe software, I regret that I just didn't start sooner. Consider what you have invested in your camera equipment, time, travel, computer, etc. Spending $60 on really good software will make a huge difference in 98% of your images. Why not get the full potential of the technology?
02-24-2016, 03:54 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
...But because of the steeper learning curve on Adobe products, I procrastinated for years and used easier, cheaper, and fun software like Kai's Photo Soap. But it really isn't rocket science to learn LR or PS and I teach 9-12th grade teenagers (14-18 year olds) and some learn quickly, some take more time, but they all get it.
Lots of web tutorials and printed books, plus regular "Help" for Adobe stuff. Learning the basics is easy. Special functions take more practice and knowledge, like any software. Happy with Elements 13 :-)
02-27-2016, 11:37 AM   #12

Original Poster
Well after thinking it over a bit i've decided I'm gonna go with light room. As was mentioned there are plenty of videos and other online material for learning and it seems as though its a one stop shop enough for me to grow into. Thanks again all for your input!
02-27-2016, 01:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian

It's definitely a fine choice. I have a LR3.x disc that came with a purchase (?) and that will probably give me a discount on LR4. I just don't process much beyond the basics, and I definitely need to flush my hard drives before beginning anything that entails TIFFs or multiple versions of images!