Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wanted: photoshop tutorial on "catch lights"

Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone know how to (or point me to) put some realistice looking catch lights in eyes.
not sure if people need 1, 2, 3 or more catch lights in each eye.

I have a nice shot of a girl that has a bit of a catch light from a lightsphere, but wanted a way to put in a "model" type catch light.

thanks to all who tell me to get some more lighting equipment, but it is not in the choices

cheers

randy

02-12-2007, 07:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Pick a brush and brush size that works for the eyes in your photo, pick the color white and have at it. You might even be able to "copy and paste" catchlights from one of your other photos if you have one with nice catchlights.

However, to be honest I find that catchlights are one of those things that just look better if they're "real" ... so if you want nice catchlights you need to position one or more softboxes to get the catchlights that you want.
02-12-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Catchlight

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone know how to (or point me to) put some realistice looking catch lights in eyes.
not sure if people need 1, 2, 3 or more catch lights in each eye.

I have a nice shot of a girl that has a bit of a catch light from a lightsphere, but wanted a way to put in a "model" type catch light.

thanks to all who tell me to get some more lighting equipment, but it is not in the choices

cheers

randy
There are no rules when it comes to catch lights in the eyes. But just remember that they must be symmetrical. I mean perfectly symmetrical. If not you might have a model ending up somewhat cross eyed in appearance. I tend to agree that natural is better. In almost all cases a natural apex of the eye catch light or highlight exists. Just use the dodge tool in PS to lighten the already existent highlight. The size of the dodge tool depends on the size of the image, i.e. head shot etc. If you want a stronger catch-light,use a small piece of aluminum foil glued to a piece of cardboard or just a piece of white paper also glued to a piece of wood or cardboard. Hold the paper in your left hand while focusing with your right. You will actually be able to see the effect. Go high to fill in unsightly bags under the eyes, or come down a bit to do an overall fill. Just play with it and see what you like.

Last edited by benjikan; 03-14-2007 at 02:08 AM.
02-13-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you benjikan and JJJPhoto!

very much appreciated!

cheers

randy

02-22-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Well?

thank you benjikan and JJJPhoto!

very much appreciated!

cheers

randy
Hey Randy...Did you try it?

Ben
02-22-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Hey Randy...Did you try it?

Ben
Hi Ben and thanks for asking

I have been so busy lately I haven't even had a chance to pick up my K10 for any real shots

I am hoping to do some window light photos soon (or my wife, one or the other)
I have 3 girls, and all 3 are sick of getting their pictures taken since my wife and I both have DSLR's
as far as the aluminum glued to cardboard goes, would a round reflector that has a silver side on it do just as good of a job?

thanks again so far for you suggestions

randy
02-25-2007, 02:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Perfect

I have been so busy lately I haven't even had a chance to pick up my K10 for any real shots

I have 3 girls, and all 3 are sick of getting their pictures taken since my wife and I both have DSLR's
as far as the aluminum glued to cardboard goes, would a round reflector that has a silver side on it do just as good of a job?

randy
That would be perfect. Try making it white on one side and siver on the other and see what the two render for you.

02-25-2007, 04:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

randy
Haha, I'm sure they'll all come around to appreciating it.