Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Screen Calibration Gamma Settings for Printing

Hello,

I bought myself a screen calibration tool (X-Rite ColorMunki Smile) and am using it with DisplayCal 3.1 and was wondering what calibration target I should be aiming for?
5000k or 6500k?
1.8 gamma or 2.2?

I've read both, but 6500k is for Digital based design rather than prints, how about gamma?
I now went for a mixture of 5000k and gamma 2.2..

Anything else I should take notice of?

Cheers!

For the (google) record, my monitor is a Dell U2414H.

02-28-2016, 01:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
might be some info. here. Dell U2414H Review
they say 2.2 and 6500, then they do calibration with Xrite module.
02-28-2016, 03:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
However, 6500k is used for digital mediums, images on webpages etc, where as, I thought, 5000k was the "daylight" colour temp normally used for prints?
02-28-2016, 03:34 PM   #4

It's difficult to get a good result calibrating LCDs to anything but their native whitepoint. If you can adjust the RGB gains in the monitor setup, then set displaycal to use "as measured" whitepoint and adjust the gains until the color temperature in the calibration window says 6500k. If you can't adjust the gains, then just use 'as measured' (it'll be somewhere around 6000-10000k).

Use softproofing for preparing for printing.

03-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've now just calibrated it to 6500k, as recommended by the printing company.

I've observed two negative things :
- More strain on my eyes when reading documents/forums
- Less sRGB Gamut coverage (~10% less!?)

For reading and general usage I'll definitely revert to 5000k!

Edit; I checked the calibration sheet that was provided from Dell with the monitor and it looks to have been calibrated to ~6200k

Comparing the two profiles I did:

5000k : 94.8% sRGB Gamut Coverage, 100.3% Gamut Volume
6500k : 86.5% sRGB Gamut Coverage, 93.0% Gamut Volume

Last edited by Topsy; 03-07-2016 at 10:51 AM.
03-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
I've now just calibrated it to 6500k, as recommended by the printing company.

I've observed two negative things :
- More strain on my eyes when reading documents/forums
- Less sRGB Gamut coverage (~10% less!?)

For reading and general usage I'll definitely revert to 5000k!

Edit; I checked the calibration sheet that was provided from Dell with the monitor and it looks to have been calibrated to ~6200k

Comparing the two profiles I did:

5000k : 94.8% sRGB Gamut Coverage, 100.3% Gamut Volume
6500k : 86.5% sRGB Gamut Coverage, 93.0% Gamut Volume
To get the most gamut coverage you MUST calibrate to the displays native whitepoint. As I mentioned, above, this can be cheated a bit if you have access to the display's RGB gains in its menu system (you can get the displays whitepoint closer to your desired whitepoint without using up too much of the profile's gamut attempting to bias the whitepoint).
03-07-2016, 02:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I also noticed a small oopsie on my side that I thought I had overcome.. My graphics card was still only putting out limited rgb (a bug with this monitor..).. Only just noticed now after a new driver install because nvidia added the option to select what you want to have sent to your monitor..

So, I've calibrated it again, 6500k now get's 95.6% sRGB Gamut Coverage and 5000k 98.4%.
I'm wondering if Dell even calibrated it to it's native white point as it's a but funny I'm getting more coverage with 5000k..

And yes, I do have access to the RGB Gains in the OSD.

03-07-2016, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
I also noticed a small oopsie on my side that I thought I had overcome.. My graphics card was still only putting out limited rgb (a bug with this monitor..).. Only just noticed now after a new driver install because nvidia added the option to select what you want to have sent to your monitor..

So, I've calibrated it again, 6500k now get's 95.6% sRGB Gamut Coverage and 5000k 98.4%.
I'm wondering if Dell even calibrated it to it's native white point as it's a but funny I'm getting more coverage with 5000k..

And yes, I do have access to the RGB Gains in the OSD.
Ah. So now you have it set to Full RGB instead of Limited?

Still you should be able to get better than 95.6%. You need to tweak those RGB gains and gamma settings to get the uncalibrated display as close as possible to 6500K and 2.2 gamma as before calibrating and profiling (to "as measured whitepoint"). You can probably get it to 99%+. I found that the best results were obtained by running the ridiculously long (6+ hour) calibration and profiling phases (overnight), especially regarding grayscale.

I've got a supposedly horrible, impossible to calibrate Seiki UHD tv/monitor calibrated to 99.someting% of sRGB this way. The most important part of the process was tweaking the display settings to get them very close to 6500K and 2.2 gamma before profiling.