Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2016, 10:53 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Youpic

Anyone here using Youpic? I just discovered it this morning, and it looks pretty cool on a first-pass inspection. Layout looks similar to Flickr, but there appears to be more support for people who seek to improve their skills.

https://youpic.com/about

03-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I just joined. Thanks
03-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll give it a shot - thanks Jason!
03-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks a lot like 500px...

I joined, but I don't know how much I'll use it. Uploading from Lightroom isn't as easy as it is for Flickr or 500px. They don't have a publication service, just an export plugin.

03-11-2016, 12:59 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting. Sort of Tumblr, with assignments?
03-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I wasn't endorsing the site, guys! I just found it, but after reading a couple of reviews, there doesn't seem to be much negative criticism towards it. Except the name. I kind of hate the name.
03-11-2016, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I wasn't endorsing the site, guys! I just found it, but after reading a couple of reviews, there doesn't seem to be much negative criticism towards it. Except the name. I kind of hate the name.
Well, phonetically it sounds very similar to one of our largest local indigenous peoples: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yupik_peoples
So, I guess that's why it sounded familiar at first.

Last edited by Quartermaster James; 03-11-2016 at 01:34 PM.
03-11-2016, 02:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Anyone here using Youpic? I just discovered it this morning, and it looks pretty cool on a first-pass inspection. Layout looks similar to Flickr, but there appears to be more support for people who seek to improve their skills.

https://youpic.com/about
Yes, I'm there. It's quite fun really as they have levels and awards depending on the number of repics you get and other achievements. There are great videos for learning and you get more access or something depending on your level. It compares with 500px except the software is not quite a nice and 500px is more focused on selling your images.
03-11-2016, 02:54 PM   #9

I uploaded a couple of shots and within a few hours got almost 1800 views! There are no "likes" like on FB but something like that. Again, hundreds of those and so on. Lots of people browsing through new uploads and reacting... No comments or critiques, though... That probably requires much more effort than a simple click...
03-11-2016, 04:39 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stein Quote
I uploaded a couple of shots and within a few hours got almost 1800 views! There are no "likes" like on FB but something like that. Again, hundreds of those and so on. Lots of people browsing through new uploads and reacting... No comments or critiques, though... That probably requires much more effort than a simple click...
Also looks like you have to request critique when you post a photo; it's not just the default option to allow critique/commentary.
03-11-2016, 07:37 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, if you're all joining, post your user names here so we can find each other there. I'm jcdoss there too, but I haven't uploaded anything yet.
03-11-2016, 07:43 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, if you're all joining, post your user names here so we can find each other there. I'm jcdoss there too, but I haven't uploaded anything yet.
I'm not committing to it, just dipping my toes. Already have a blog and a Tumblr, and need to determine what further value YouPic offers.

That said, I am Quartermaster_James over there.
03-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I only joined this afternoon, but I'm already Level 5. Whatever that means. Profile in my signature.
03-11-2016, 08:20 PM   #14
Forum Member

Yip, its been an ok experience
https://youpic.com/photographer/wolfworx/

---------- Post added 2016-03-12 at 05:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Looks a lot like 500px...

I joined, but I don't know how much I'll use it. Uploading from Lightroom isn't as easy as it is for Flickr or 500px. They don't have a publication service, just an export plugin.
On a side note, I really liked the way you did your links in your signature, so I borrowed the idea, I hope you don't mind
03-12-2016, 12:25 AM   #15

Username Stein @Youpic, always and everywhere (except when there's already one, then I'm in trouble )

Not sure how it works, I checked every photo for critique, no one added one yet. OTOH, I'm already "level 8" (whatever that means) with 6378 "experience"... Level 9 is @ 10275... I suppose each view, favorite and repic comes with a certain amounts of points. Whatever. Not there to compete with anyone. When I looked at some of the (excellent) photos posted there, I felt it's time to crush my camera and never even think about making another shot, but then, I saw photos which are just like mine... or so... Good, but not jaw-dropping good. And somebody likes those too. So, it's time to make better shots so I don't feel left out...