Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-13-2016, 08:53 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Computer crashing while using Lightroom

I have only recently acquired Lightroom and am enjoying learning the program tremendously. My computer, however, has taken to crashing regularly while Lightroom is open. If the computer itself doesn't crash, the program does, though not every time. I am using an ancient (like late 2006 or 2007) MacBook Pro (given to me by my mother when I realized that my own, even more ancient, MacBook Pro (the first one made) could no longer support the newest OS or most software updates). I have the latest Mac OS, and all my software is up to date. Could this be a computer problem or something else (the computer hasn't crashed while using any other program)?

I would love to purchase a new computer, but I don't think that will be in the budget anytime soon. I just can't justify the price of a new Mac when all I use if for is photos, music, email, and looking online. I really don't want a PC! (Never thought I would be a Mac person!)

If it is a computer problem and I need to figure out how to get a new machine, does anyone have any tips on how to find them cheaper? I am open to refurbished, but even those are often crazy expensive.

Any advice is welcome. Thank you!

03-13-2016, 09:05 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Memory?

Lightroom, as with all photo editing software, is memory hungry. If you can add more memory, that might help, though maybe not.

Steve
03-13-2016, 09:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
I'm maxed out on Ram. And have recently replaced the hard drive with a much larger one. Maybe it's time to start deleting unnecessary files.
03-13-2016, 09:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I cannot help with a Mac, but I suspect trying to run current Lightroom on a 10 year old computer is the problem. Here is the Adobe requirements page: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/system-requirements.html You might check to see if your computer is even supposed to be able to run LR.

One solution might be to get a cheap PC just to run Lightroom and leave all your other needs on the Mac. A refurbished PC, or one off a business lease can be very cheap.

03-13-2016, 09:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks jatrax, that's not a bad idea to get pc for photo needs only. I'm pretty sure running Lightroom on the old computer is fine. Well, supposedly. The OS and all other programs are current. I'm not a computer buff at all though. You could definitely be right.

---------- Post added 03-14-16 at 04:21 AM ----------

(And thank you for the link.)
03-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One other thought, depending on your Lightroom version. Lightroom CC, version 6 has limited support for graphics cards. This has not always worked well, depending on the card and the drivers. You might want to try running it with the graphics card turned off. Go to preferences and look under the performance tab. If you see a check box for "use graphics processor" uncheck it, restart Lightroom and see if that changes anything.

On my PC it was terrible until I updated the video card drivers. Though it was just slow, not crashing.
03-13-2016, 10:08 PM   #7

Original Poster
Would it make a difference that I am using version 6, not CC?

03-13-2016, 10:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by doroth2 Quote
Would it make a difference that I am using version 6, not CC?
Not sure, to be honest. Check and see if you have that setting. If not forget I mentioned it. I run CC so not sure what is included in v6 and what is not. If you have that setting, test it and see what happens, if you don't then 'nevermind"
03-13-2016, 10:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It definitely sounds like you're low on memory for LR and since you're maxed out on RAM, here are a few suggestions that may help.
a) Close (quit) all other apps while running LR.
b) Do you have at least 15% free space on your hard drive? When the computer runs out of RAM, it will use the HD as a scratch disk to temporarily help out. If your HD is almost maxed out, memory hungry apps like LR will start crashing. For fairly cheap you can buy an external hard drive and in system preferences, set it as the scratch disk.
c) Zap your PRAM:
Here’s how to reset your PRAM:
Shut down your machine. Yes, all the way down, not sleep or logging out.
Press the power button and then press command-option-p-r. You have to make sure you get those keys pressed before the gray screen comes up or it won’t work.
Hold those keys down until your Mac reboots again and you here the startup chime.
Let go of the keys and let your Mac reboot normally.

d) I assume you have a legal paid version of LR6 that no one else may have registered? Adobe is very sensitive about that, and once upon a time, you could get around it by going off line while using a "pre-owned" copy.

If none of that helps, it is probably a compatibility bug between your older OS and LR6. There may be a patch online, or you may be forced to get a newer OS. Please share with us what works in the end!
03-13-2016, 11:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi. We had the crashing Lightroom 6 issje also, and it was due to using the graphics card for acceleration in Lightroom. Try going to prefrences and see if the checkmark for graphocs acceleration is checked or not, and if it is uncheck it. And how much ram do yoj have?

David
03-14-2016, 01:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I cannot help with a Mac, but I suspect trying to run current Lightroom on a 10 year old computer is the problem.
I'd laydown a carton on this being the issue. I had the same dramas myself, particularly with slightly larger images. At the time I had this problem most advice I received suggested it was the PC's RAM capacity and in my case they were correct.
03-14-2016, 03:15 AM   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd suspect the older machine running a memory-intensive application is the root of the trouble here...
03-14-2016, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I'm running Lightroom on a mid 2010 MacBook Pro and it runs very slow at times. I thought about going the cheap pc way just to run Lightroom but then I deal with my work computer running Windows and I realize a iMac is the way to go.
03-14-2016, 06:23 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I run Lightroom on an early 2009 Mac mini w/ 8 GB RAM. No issues to speak of, but I do have the graphics acceleration turned off. It doesn't work with the Nvidia 9400M anyway...

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html

Last edited by boriscleto; 03-14-2016 at 07:11 AM.
03-14-2016, 08:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

If you can launch the application, check under preferences and hardware acceleration. Turn off the check box for "use GPU" something like that. The restart.

If this doesn't work, call Adobe support. They should help you figure out the problem.