Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-15-2016, 10:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Affinity for Windows

I dont know if this wa already posted, but it seems that Affinity is going to make his way to Windows, a few hours ago i recieve one mail for beta suscription

Attached Images

03-16-2016, 12:41 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I've just signed up for the beta. I use Lightroom 6 and Photoshop Elements 14, and while I love Lightroom, I'm not so keen on Elements. It does the job, but I don't find it intuitive... I like the fact that Affinity's filters are 16-bit, too...
03-16-2016, 01:04 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks interesting! Looking forward to trying it out.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-16-2016, 03:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks great, well worth a try out.

03-16-2016, 03:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Has anybody used the Mac version, it has some really good reviews. I used a lot of Serif programs when I taught computer skills and for the price they were exceptionally good, all you needed without the extras that you never used in Adobe programs.
03-16-2016, 03:42 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Has anybody used the Mac version, it has some really good reviews. I used a lot of Serif programs when I taught computer skills and for the price they were exceptionally good, all you needed without the extras that you never used in Adobe programs.
I haven't used it, but ephotozine reviewed it favourably...
03-16-2016, 03:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Best of luck to them.

But things are already kind of crowded in the Lightroom/DxO/Capture One/Silkypix/ACD/Aftershot Pro etc commercial space. Not to mention the free Silkypix derivatives (Capture NX-D, Pentax Digital Camera Utility) out there that work OK for many people, and the cheap or free Android/IOS mobile camera imaging utilities (Lightroom for mobile, SnapSeed etc) that seem to meet the needs of a lot of users who just want to produce for social media.

03-16-2016, 04:03 AM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Best of luck to them.

But things are already kind of crowded in the Lightroom/DxO/Capture One/Silkypix/ACD/Aftershot Pro etc commercial space. Not to mention the free Silkypix derivatives (Capture NX-D, Pentax Digital Camera Utility) out there that work OK for many people, and the cheap or free Android/IOS mobile camera imaging utilities (Lightroom for mobile, SnapSeed etc) that seem to meet the needs of a lot of users who just want to produce for social media.
Yes, but a number of the applications you've mentioned there are library management /and/or image development applications rather than layers-based image processing applications. I don't plan on replacing Lightroom with anything else for my library management and image development... but a low cost layers-based processing application that will handle 16-bit files is of great interest to me, if... and these are big ifs.. the quality and performance of the tools it offers are of a high standard, and the user interface is polished, intuitive and straightforward. If that's the case, it could replace Elements for me...
03-16-2016, 04:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
and these are big ifs.. the quality and performance of the tools it offers are of a high standard, and the user interface is polished, intuitive and straightforward.
A reviewer in the ARegister states
QuoteQuote:
the feeling that an image editing app has been created by people who actually edit images comes as an almost inexpressible relief.
Their big selling point is that it has been designed and developed from the ground up - no bloated legacy code to slow it down -and at only £50 it's worth a try
03-16-2016, 04:23 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just cause, I signed up to beta test it.
03-16-2016, 04:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Just cause, I signed up to beta test it.
Thy have three main Affinity programs for the Mac, Designer, Photo and a yet to be released Publisher. Designer will be the first to be released on Windows so if you have signed up for the Beta trial this is what you will get, a very good graphic design program.
03-16-2016, 04:51 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought a copy a few months ago, really because I wanted to see what an eventual replacement for Adobe's Creative Suite might look like, and Affiinity reviewed well. It has a fair way to go yet, in that respect, but one of the very nice features of Affinity is that it will take Photoshop plugins, so such a move is made easier, and many plugins (the Topaz Suite included) are fairly cheap to buy, anyway.

It lacks a file organiser like Adobe's Bridge, but hopefully that will follow at some stage.

If you're reasonably familiar with photo editing software, Affinity will be easy to get into. Assuming the Windows version follows the same lines as the Mac version, it should get a lot of fans from that OS community.
03-16-2016, 05:19 AM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

A reviewer in the ARegister states

Their big selling point is that it has been designed and developed from the ground up - no bloated legacy code to slow it down -and at only £50 it's worth a try
Here's hoping I'm looking forward to trying the beta.
03-16-2016, 06:37 AM   #14
mee
Veteran Member

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/windows/

Thank you for the information! I was one of the first ones to ask about a Windows version when the Mac version was in Beta. Back then they said no go since the Mac version was built on Mac-only libraries. Guess they are finally working that out.. excellent photog news.
03-16-2016, 06:50 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
but one of the very nice features of Affinity is that it will take Photoshop plugins, so such a move is made easier, and many plugins (the Topaz Suite included) are fairly cheap to buy, anyway.
I have Affinity Designer and it is a good replacement for Adobe Illustrator. I'm on the fence about Affinity Photo precisely because they have real problems with various Photoshop plugins -- a quick look at their support forum suggests that only a small percentage of plugins work at all (and that includes Topaz). I have faith that they will eventually figure it out, but for the time being I'm happy with my current Affinity Designer purchase and will be eager to learn of future developments/improvements with Affinity Photo.

Michael