Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not a surprise really

Creative Cloud = record revenue.

Adobe reports record revenue | Photo Rumors

03-18-2016, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Yeah, that's why they did that whole move. Its terrible. Means users are getting more fleeced left and right. And pretty much most software companies are switching to some sort of cloud with subscriptions. We are returning to the dark ages where peasants had to pay taxes to enjoy the sunshine, because it belonged to the monarch.
03-18-2016, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

That's why I have Lightroom 6 instead of CC, and Affinity Photo instead of Photoshop
03-18-2016, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

For what you are paying, they do offer a pretty decent product & you always get the latest version, but when you think about it, you end up spending at least $120 USA per year. It adds up to a lot of money as the years go by.

You also have the option of buying Silkypix, Capture One, DXO, & other software once & riding it for a few years to get the most bang for the buck.

Basically, it boils down to what you feel most comfortable with. I personally like the Lightroom/Photoshop combo the most out of all paid software, but I'm not subscribed to them at the moment. Capture One is my next pick, but it is pricey at $299 or the $15 monthly fee for a year.

One thing is for sure. Like Na Horuk said, it seems like "Cloud" computing is the wave of the future & a lot of software companies are heading that way. Things are going to get pricier when subscriptions are the only way to go.

Since I don't do photography for a living, I've decided to spend more time on open-source programs like RawTherapee on Windows & Linux & Darktable on Linux instead. I get some pretty incredible results out of RawTherapee, given that it's totally free. I'm currently trying to tweak Darktable as well, but their noise reduction features are kind of hard to tweak.

03-18-2016, 07:53 AM   #5

it all depends on how you look at it. When you buy a subscription you're getting all of the updates all of the time, but when you buy a product you're stuck with it, and then have to pay for upgrades anyway. So the question really is which way is cheaper?
03-18-2016, 08:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeryst Quote
it all depends on how you look at it. When you buy a subscription you're getting all of the updates all of the time, but when you buy a product you're stuck with it, and then have to pay for upgrades anyway. So the question really is which way is cheaper?
The most potent PS competitor to date, Affinity Photo, costs less than half one off than PS costs in a year, and comes with two years of free updates.
03-18-2016, 08:18 AM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
The most potent PS competitor to date, Affinity Photo, costs less than half one off than PS costs in a year, and comes with two years of free updates.
Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing the Affinity Photo for Windows beta...

03-18-2016, 08:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It doesn't surprise me that CC has worked out for Adobe.

For years I'd hear camera club types bragging about their expertise with the latest version of CS (and prior versions). But when I'd ask how they could afford the software, they'd always wink and boast how their "computer guy" put it on their system for free. Or they'd brag they got the student edition through their son or daughter at university, etc. etc.

There must have been millions, and millions of Photoshop users who never paid for it, that it made sense to Adobe to go the subscription route. Less money, but far more legitimate users.

Now I see camera club types looking a little less guilty about their Photoshop expertise.
03-18-2016, 12:34 PM   #9
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just be sure what you are getting into. If you buy LR via subscription you get new features and updates. Buy LR as "perpetual" license you get updates - no new features. Using Capture One via subscription or perpetual you get new features and updates.

The real issue with LR subscription is that if you stop the subscription the Development and Map functions are disabled => no worky. A RAW converter that does not allow you to change your images - in my mind not a good deal at all. I have seen nothing about Capture One not supporting any functionality once the subscription is dropped.

The subscription model has given Adobe a steady, predictable income, which is in their minds a good thing. For non-professionals it just may not be the best thing. I really don't think I shoot enough to HAVE to pay for something I really don't use constantly.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
03-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm still ok on Photoshop CS5 and a perpetual Lightroom 6 license. Hoping to remain unassimilated as long as possible!
03-18-2016, 04:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Squirrel - Try using parametric masks along with the multiply blending mode for darktable NR.
Takes care of just about any kind of noise around. You will likely need to tweak the strength and opacity sliders. For the really tough cases, duplicate the non-local means but change it to wavelets. Then decrease the strength on both modules.