Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2016, 09:43 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First stumbling steps in RAW-ville.

So last night and again today I decided to play around with RAW processing in-camera (K-5). So far I have failed to see what the fuss was all about, but I think I am finally getting it. Preview looked a bit dodgy (too bright), so I pushed the raw-retrieve button and had a fiddle with it. Result looked a bit better than the original.

I think I might keep this as an ace in the hole for use under difficult conditions; when composition is good but the exposure looks substandard, retrieve the raw data and play with it later to see what I can salvage. If composition and exposure are both good, rock on with four-star 16MP JPEG. If composition and exposure both suck, keep it as a lesson from which to learn but do not pass it on to others.

In the meantime, Raw Therapee will be getting some quality time. Does anyone know of a good and reliable raw processor for Android, at least in terms of translating raw to JPG? I think either polarr or pixlr does it online, but it would be nice to have something downloadable for when I'm away from wireless.

03-19-2016, 01:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I've often just let Picasa do the raw processing as my freebie. Not sure if gPhotos will be as handy that way
Generally the dcraw conversion is just a less contrasty image but many times its color shading is so much better than the jpeg it's spooky!
03-19-2016, 01:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I would prefer to trust Google's octopoid tentacles with as few of my images as possible. Yes, they all have someone's tentacles in them, but Google is the largest octopus of all and although I am not actually paranoid, I do not approve of the breadth and depth of its reach.
03-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Does anyone know of a good and reliable raw processor for Android
Lightroom Mobile?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adobe.lrmobile&hl=en

03-19-2016, 04:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Thought about it. Numerous reviews in Google Play app store have panned the current iteration as unstable and unreliable, while others are deliriously happy. Unsure what to make of this.