Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2016, 10:25 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What did the editor do to achieve this?

I really love the feel of this photo. I saw this on facebook and I am wondering what the photo editor did to achieve this. I suppose he did this with photoshop. I would really appreciate if someone would be kind enough to share the tips to transform the original photo into the final edited one. What would be the steps? Thanks in advance

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
03-20-2016, 01:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
mostly white balance to get a oranger one, or maybe a orange filter in photoshop.
03-20-2016, 03:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Go to the On1 website. Free filter download for a short period complete with online tutorials. Some of those filters and presents can do magic.
03-20-2016, 05:16 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Also possibly added a radial, blur or graduated filter to tweak the foreground and background of the image to enhance the child subject.

03-20-2016, 08:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I am not really versed in photoshop and everything you can do with it, but this was done using a mask and layers. I will be honest here, I have tried using and working with masking and layers but I have not figured it all out yet, anyways...

What the person has done is made a second, and possibly, a third layer to work with. In the first layer, he made a mask outlining the child and the brush in the foreground. On the second layer, the colors were changed to get the warm glow of a setting sun. Then using the masked area of the first layer, the foreground brush and the child was brought into the second layer so that they are daylight bright.

Like I said, I am not really versed in PS but that is the general workflow to do something like this photo.

Give it a day or so and some of the other members that know PS better then I do will chime in and be able to give a complete step by step workflow for you. (I might be able to learn something too.)
03-20-2016, 09:28 AM   #6

Most of it could be done with masks and layers, as people have said, but it also looks like flare was added at the top--and of course the butterfly was pasted in.
03-21-2016, 01:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm thinking tone curves were involved

03-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

PS is destroying photography... Maybe I am just pissed because I have no PS skill

I think I can get the same effect in LR sans the butterfly, which is probably one of the key elements of the changed photo.
03-24-2016, 05:13 PM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bar_foo Quote
Most of it could be done with masks and layers, as people have said, but it also looks like flare was added at the top--and of course the butterfly was pasted in.

Yes this is a key part to these kind of photos.. the masking/layering; The kid isn't so strongly affected by the color shift.. and they are also lightened in the scene.

That is to say, I doubt the person who processed that photo clicked a box for a preset and then exported the image -- there was a bit more work involved.
03-24-2016, 05:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

this is my guess, other than butterfly added, you could do most with Lightroom or plug in. The color was shifted, his face is corrected from being kind of blue, but the rest is stronger. The background looks like it was softened, maybe clarity and sharpening was used. You could do this with radial filter or brush.

Obviously this could be done different ways with different software. On1 and Macphun uses layers, so you could really get into changing the areas, but the butterfly was probably added in photoshop. It would be something to play around with and see what works for you.