Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2016, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am glad my procrastination and inability to make a decision finally paid off! I was trying to decide between this and Macphun software, so, now that this is free, Nik software it is! I am going to guess they will abandon the software after this, but this is pretty great deal anyway.

Next I am hoping next Epson will decide to drop support for their slide and film scanners and starting giving those away for free....

03-24-2016, 06:07 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You should be able to remove them with the Plug-in Manager. Or not. You probably have to uninstall the whole package.
Got it, thanks !
As I said ... just in case.
I'll give it a quick go again ... any idea where to look for "real help" regarding "control points" in dfine ?

---------- Post added 03-24-16 at 09:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
the control point system is really fantastic
Just asked about that earlier in a previous post: ... anything "visual help" to learn how to work with those ?
Thanks.
03-24-2016, 06:22 PM   #33
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Got it, thanks !
As I said ... just in case.
I'll give it a quick go again ... any idea where to look for "real help" regarding "control points" in dfine ?

---------- Post added 03-24-16 at 09:10 PM ----------

Just asked about that earlier in a previous post: ... anything "visual help" to learn how to work with those ?
Thanks.
JP - the best thing to do is search for the tutorials on YouTube. I did, and they're good
03-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
JP - the best thing to do is search for the tutorials on YouTube. I did, and they're good
Thanks !!
I did and found a couple which may help, especially for those very special control points!
JP

03-24-2016, 07:47 PM   #35
mee
Veteran Member

Thanks !!
I did and found a couple which may help, especially for those very special control points!
They're essentially setting masks behind the scenes. Rather powerful if you get to understand what is happening.. It is useful (in my experiences) of setting different amounts of processing to the clouds/sky vs the ground. Alt clicking and then dragging on one point/node will duplicate it iirc. and there is another key to show a quick mask view also iirc.

I'm not even sure if most of the Topaz plugins meet the Nik comparison tools (maybe short of the NR plugin). Very powerful collection here if you're willing to learn and understand how to make use of them.
03-25-2016, 02:00 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks !!
JP
Sorry I missed your question... yeah what he said, YouTube
It's a very fast and effective way to apply, say, NR, in a picture where it is only needed in the shadows because that's the only thing that has been pushed (thus having more noise)... you select a point and a rough range of application and it does the rest: you can check what the effect is been applied to by selecting a visualization method, which shows you sort of a B/W layer mask.
03-25-2016, 02:13 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had been thinking for a long time that this was coming, thanks to how the development went dead after google bought them... Too bad but at least we can keep using it until it breaks. For anybody out there who doesn't know this, you can also use these apps in Gimp, using the 'shellout' plugin. (That's how I access them...)

03-25-2016, 02:54 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
For anybody out there who doesn't know this, you can also use these apps in Gimp, using the 'shellout' plugin.
How does one implement that gimp plugin with nik collection please?

http://bernhardhuber.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/using-niksoftware-in-gimp.html
03-25-2016, 04:44 AM   #39
k22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
How does one implement that gimp plugin with nik collection please?

Bernhard Huber: Using NikSoftware in GIMP
On Windows follow the directions to edit shellout.py so that it has correct paths for the Nik apps. On a Mac I'm lost. But can be used as standalone apps.
03-25-2016, 04:54 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Hang on, Nik only works on jpeg?
03-25-2016, 04:58 AM   #41
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
Hang on, Nik only works on jpeg?
No, it works on TIFF too. So you bring your image into Lightroom or Photoshop, then when you "Edit In", it creates a TIFF copy (by default) for the Nik module to work on. If you're processing multiple images using HDR Efex Pro 2, you create your TIFF copies first then load those into the software.

Given that you're flattening the image by converting to TIFF, it's best to carry out your basic image development - exposure, contrast, shadow / highlight recovery - first, in Lightroom or CameraRaw.
03-25-2016, 05:03 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Hmph, well I don't have any Adobe software.
03-25-2016, 05:07 AM   #43
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
Hmph, well I don't have any Adobe software.
It may be possible to use other software that supports Photoshop plug-ins - I think GIMP might?

You can still use HDR Efex Pro 2 as this is a stand-alone application. It's well worth having.

EDIT: Hold that thought for a second, I just had a look in the directory for Analog Efex Pro and notice there is an executable which, if I run it, allows me to load and save images directly... so maybe these modules can all be used stand-alone. I'll test later and let you know.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-25-2016 at 05:13 AM.
03-25-2016, 05:12 AM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I downloaded the software yesterday and have been reading this thread since then. I just read the post by Mike and see it doesn't work with RAW files? Not good cause I don't shoot jpeg.
03-25-2016, 05:26 AM   #45
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I downloaded the software yesterday and have been reading this thread since then. I just read the post by Mike and see it doesn't work with RAW files? Not good cause I don't shoot jpeg.
I only use it with RAW files as my base. In Lightroom, it converts my DNG to a TIFF then processes that. Actually, the power of this plugin suite is with a RAW image file as base.