Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2016, 02:00 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No updates to Nik since I bought it and even then it was at a greatly reduced price. Would appear Google's pulling the plug. Great software but by abandoning it and offering for free they essentially kill Topaz.

Which would make sense if there was anything to gain but I don't see it. Unless they they want to buy Topaz and want them bankrupt first.

03-24-2016, 02:02 PM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
The question is why they'd do it. Will we see advertising? Or have they decided to cease development and there won't be any updates?

It just seems rather weird. It's a professional suite of software, why give it away for free?
Sadly, I think the product will see no further updates. That said, it does a huge amount of stuff already, and does it very well. The big gotcha with the Nik tools is that the edit history for an image isn't saved when you exit the modules, so if you want to recreate your edits at a later date, or adjust them, you need to note down exactly what you did and store those notes somewhere. Despite that, I think the whole toolset is excellent - I love it.
03-24-2016, 02:14 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I grabbed a OSX version of it and installed it on my iMac. Has anyone installed it on Windows 10? Someone on dpreview said it wasn't compatible with Win 10. I'd like to put it on my Windows box as well.
03-24-2016, 02:33 PM   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by th1952 Quote
I grabbed a OSX version of it and installed it on my iMac. Has anyone installed it on Windows 10? Someone on dpreview said it wasn't compatible with Win 10. I'd like to put it on my Windows box as well.
Someone on dpreview was wrong... I run Windows 10 and it works perfectly

03-24-2016, 02:56 PM   #20
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

are these plug-ins only or stand-alone apps? everything I've read suggest that they are plug-ins for Aperture, Photoshop, or Lightroom...
03-24-2016, 03:10 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
are these plug-ins only or stand-alone apps? everything I've read suggest that they are plug-ins for Aperture, Photoshop, or Lightroom...
They are both.
03-24-2016, 03:12 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Someone on dpreview was wrong... I run Windows 10 and it works perfectly

Excellent. Thanks.

03-24-2016, 03:15 PM   #23
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
They are both.

coolness - thank you...
03-24-2016, 03:19 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I downloaded and installed it ... looks OK in Photoshop under the "filters".

Tried a couple of runs with the denoise (dfine) option and of course I'll have to go back to geek school to learn yet another new thing !
Just in case, is there any way to remove this from Photoshop if need be once it has installed into the "filters" ??
03-24-2016, 03:20 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Well, I downloaded and installed it ... looks OK in Photoshop under the "filters".

Tried a couple of runs with the denoise (dfine) option and of course I'll have to go back to geek school to learn yet another new thing !
Just in case, is there any way to remove this from Photoshop if need be once it has installed into the "filters" ??
You should be able to remove them with the Plug-in Manager. Or not. You probably have to uninstall the whole package.
03-24-2016, 04:04 PM   #26
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
The company in this case is Google, since they've owned Nik for quite a while now. So it is legit -- they never bought it to make money with anyway. Unfortunately, they didn't buy it to keep developing it either as there haven't been any real updates in forever and this is basically a signal that it has been abandoned.
It is rather sad news for the collection for that reason. I really hoped they would improve the noise reduction plugin and further enhance the others. This all but entirely shows they've abandoned the collection.

That said, this was pretty much a certainty when they acquired them from Nik years ago -- Google, like most large companies, buys the smaller companies with desirable products, technology, or staff for what works for their own products, technology, and staff needs and discards the rest. Apple is another big player that does this.. Emagic and Redmatica come to mind. Too bad.

I will keep using these plugins though because they work well in Windows 10 and they still are superior to the algorithms in Lightroom (minus maybe NR -- haven't checked on that one lately). I mostly use the Color Effex, Viveza,and the Silver Effex plugins out of the bunch.

Funny story... I came about owning the Nik Collection due to an email I received from Nik before google bought the collection (and company I suppose). The email had a header image that had alt text stating something along the lines of 'Click here to get your free HDR effex plugin!' but the header image was linked to the Nik page with no mention of any free plugin.
So I emailed their support asking where I can get the free plugin, they responded back with a serial number for it it (99 dollars per plugin back then!) Then a month or two later Google acquired them and gave all owners of any of the Nik Plugins the whole collection 'free.' (no additional charge -- upgraded)

Back then the whole collection was around 500 USD iirc. They are still really solid plugins and should be for years to come (sans maybe the NR one again).
03-24-2016, 04:16 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
In other words, Google is pulling the plug on Nik. I'll download it anyway...
Yeah, I fear you got it right...
It's a pity, because the control point system is really fantastic...
Oh well, we'll just take that gift and thank them for that...
03-24-2016, 04:31 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Thanks for that.
I'll be having a look at it
03-24-2016, 04:44 PM   #29
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Dave, they are plug-ins (I use them with LR6 and PSE14) with the exception of HDR Efex Pro 2 which runs standalone.
03-24-2016, 04:55 PM   #30
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Dave, they are plug-ins (I use them with LR6 and PSE14) with the exception of HDR Efex Pro 2 which runs standalone.

thank you- the HDR module was the piece I was interested in, so I'm looking forward to that....