Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2016, 05:29 AM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I only use it with RAW files as my base. In Lightroom, it converts my DNG to a TIFF then processes that. Actually, the power of this plugin suite is with a RAW image file as base.
That's good to know. However, I don't have Lightroom, only PSE13.

03-25-2016, 05:33 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
Hang on, Nik only works on jpeg?
This is a shame...
Google is killing off Picasa, which worked with DNG just fine. Also allowed me to export a single image and share very easily.
Google Photos is nowhere near as good as Picasa, IMO...
Now Nik Collection will no longer see support and is free, great I can try it out for free but I shoot RAW and can't bring them into the suite without another software introduced to my workflow?

Maybe I'm realizing that PP isn't as clear cut as I hoped it to be.
unless I was to pay a good bit of $$$ I won't find a single software package to handle everything?

Darktable, GIMP, Nik Collection

Should I just consider buying Lightroom 6?
03-25-2016, 05:44 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
This is a shame...
Google is killing off Picasa, which worked with DNG just fine. Also allowed me to export a single image and share very easily.
Google Photos is nowhere near as good as Picasa, IMO...
Now Nik Collection will no longer see support and is free, great I can try it out for free but I shoot RAW and can't bring them into the suite without another software introduced to my workflow?

unless I was to pay a good bit of $$$ I won't find a single software package to handle everything?

Well, Nik Collection, just like other plugin suites, have never been RAW development programs...

The workflow is, roughly:
RAW file -> [RAW Converter] ->TIFF file -> [Retouching] -> (PSD file and/or) final export

With something like Photoshop you don't even need to export: you open in Camera RAW, develop, open in Photoshop, tweak as you like (with or without plugins) and save.
03-25-2016, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #49
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

So - to amend / correct my earlier posts...

All of the Nik modules can be used as individual standalone programs - however, it is only possible to load JPEG images if you use them in this way (however, you can save the resulting edited file as TIFF to prevent further compression losses).

You are better off using them as plug-ins for Lightroom and Photoshop (and possibly other compatible software) - in Lightroom, when using the "Edit In" function, a TIFF copy of the current file is created, and this is passed to whichever Nik module you are opening. When you finish editing and exit the module, the edited TIFF is passed back to Lightroom.

Since JPEG files are quite lossy and contain compression artefacts, it's better to use TIFF.

---------- Post added 03-25-2016 at 01:28 PM ----------

This is a shame...

It's certainly possible to put together a suite of freeware to carry out decent post-processing, but personally I think it's worth investing in Lightroom 6 (it's what I use) - just be aware that it is an image library and development tool - and not an image editing tool, per se. Lightroom and Photoshop (or various editing plug-ins) work together to provide a full suite of functionality.

Another option to consider is Photoshop Elements 14, which includes Adobe CameraRaw to carry out pre-development of your RAW file before it loads into Elements. CameraRaw isn't quite as powerful as Lightroom 6 in terms of shadow and highlight recovery, but otherwise is pretty good for the basics of development, allowing you to carry out the major optimisation of exposure, colour and contrast etc. Elements is a good tool for general image editing, and if you don't want or need the library management capabilities of Lightroom, it might be a good option.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-25-2016 at 06:29 AM.
03-25-2016, 07:22 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's certainly possible to put together a suite of freeware to carry out decent post-processing, but personally I think it's worth investing in Lightroom 6 (it's what I use) - just be aware that it is an image library and development tool - and not an image editing tool, per se. Lightroom and Photoshop (or various editing plug-ins) work together to provide a full suite of functionality.
Interesting, so what exactly does that mean?: "it is an image library and development tool"

Can I do basic things in Lightroom 6 alone, such as cropping, contrast and color adjustments, sharpening, noise reduction, panoramic/image stacking?
I want to avoid paying into the adobe CC if possible, I really prefer buying the physical software. But again, I probably won't purchase the hard copy PS. Too expensive for what I need it for.

edit: Never looked into elements... I'll check it out as well.

Thanks!
03-25-2016, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

Interesting, so what exactly does that mean?: "it is an image library and development tool"

Can I do basic things in Lightroom 6 alone, such as cropping, contrast and color adjustments, sharpening, noise reduction, panoramic/image stacking?
Yes. Pano/stacking is supported in LR6 (at least in a limited way), I think. Everything else you could always do in LR (and non-destructively, working with RAW files). But basic needs, you can do everything all the way to making prints with LR alone (especially when you combine it with the power of something like Nik). Most pros will still find they want full Photoshop for advanced layer work, etc, but for many LR (or LR + Nik) will be more than enough...
03-25-2016, 08:05 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Yes. Pano/stacking is supported in LR6 (at least in a limited way), I think. Everything else you could always do in LR (and non-destructively, working with RAW files). But basic needs, you can do everything all the way to making prints with LR alone (especially when you combine it with the power of something like Nik). Most pros will still find they want full Photoshop for advanced layer work, etc, but for many LR (or LR + Nik) will be more than enough...
That's good info.

Can Darktable be a replacement for LR?

I'll be installing DT tonight and likely a trial of LR so I can test it myself, but I'm curious if anyone has found a true open source software replacement for LR.

03-25-2016, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

Unfortunately DT does not do stitching, and its stacking is primitive at best. I've had to pass my images through Hugin to perform those functions.

Hopefully they'll improve the stacking function before too long. There's other OSS such as luminance-HDR that I would hope they could scavenge code from.
03-25-2016, 08:26 AM   #54
Pentaxian

That's good info.

Can Darktable be a replacement for LR?

I'll be installing DT tonight and likely a trial of LR so I can test it myself, but I'm curious if anyone has found a true open source software replacement for LR.
Well, depends on what you need and what system you are on (DT does not run on Windows). It looks cool, but I haven't used it (I'm using Windows). Some people feel that they get better RAW processing from non-LR options, and that may well be true, but it is marginal improvement at best. (Most of the comparisons I've seen have been clearly rigged.) So in the end is it a deal-breaker? I think it is more a matter of learning to maximize the results of the tools. (For Pentax, using third-party camera profiles like those from huelight may help, but that's another expense, although a small one.) LR is really not very expensive, after all. The CC version is $10/mo, so you can get started with very little outlay. Or you can get the stand-alone for about $150, which probably last you 2-3 years if you don't need every bleeding edge feature as it comes along, and upgrades are like 80 bucks after that. We're still on LR5 (& CS6 Photoshop). We'll probably need an upgrade once I get a camera upgrade (I'm still using K-5 & K-01 bodies.) Eventually we'll be sucked into the CC plan I suppose, but we're good for another year at least with the tools we have. We'll re-assess when the time comes.
03-25-2016, 09:41 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
The CC version is $10/mo, so you can get started with very little outlay. Or you can get the stand-alone for about $150, which probably last you 2-3 years if you don't need every bleeding edge feature as it comes along, and upgrades are like 80 bucks after that. We're still on LR5 (& CS6 Photoshop). We'll probably need an upgrade once I get a camera upgrade (I'm still using K-5 & K-01 bodies.) Eventually we'll be sucked into the CC plan I suppose, but we're good for another year at least with the tools we have. We'll re-assess when the time comes.
This is kind of where I am at.
Upgrading from the K-30 to a K-3ii, I kind of owe it to myself and my camera to invest in some proper PP software and create a workflow I can grow accustomed to.

That said, I don't like the idea of being tucked into monthly subscriptions, even if it is only $10/month.

I'd rather just buy a standalone product and use it for a few years until I really need the upgrade.
03-25-2016, 10:30 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That said, I don't like the idea of being tucked into monthly subscriptions, even if it is only $10/month.

I'd rather just buy a standalone product and use it for a few years until I really need the upgrade.
Lightroom 5.7 is the only software I use that makes be stick with Windows for now. Adding the Nik tools now will likely prolong the status quo. My only motivation to move to a Lightroom cloud subscription (actually, ANY cloud subscription) would be un-tethering myself from Windows, but since Adobe does not offer this option, I see myself moving to Darktable sooner or later.
03-25-2016, 10:43 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
Lightroom 5.7 is the only software I use that makes be stick with Windows for now. Adding the Nik tools now will likely prolong the status quo. My only motivation to move to a Lightroom cloud subscription (actually, ANY cloud subscription) would be un-tethering myself from Windows, but since Adobe does not offer this option, I see myself moving to Darktable sooner or later.
Why are you not simply moving to Lightroom for Mac?
03-25-2016, 11:33 AM   #58
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It seems there is now a Windows version of Darktable.
03-25-2016, 11:40 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is awesome. I'm going to download the collection when I get home from work.
03-25-2016, 12:02 PM   #60

I guess good things come to those who wait. I've been contemplating the Nik Collection for several months, just trying to figure how to justify the purchase to my wife. Now I don't have to.