Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2016, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nik Collection FOR FREE!

Hey guys!

I've just read this news and want to share with you!
Apparently the company is giving his product for free today.

Here what they wrote on their Facebook profile:
"Today we’re making the Nik Collection available to everyone, for free. Photo enthusiasts all over the world use the Nik Collection to get the best out of their images every day. As we continue to focus our long-term investments in building incredible photo editing tools for mobile, including Google Photos and Snapseed, we’ve decided to make the Nik Collection desktop suite available for free, so that now anyone can use it.
The Nik Collection is comprised of seven desktop plug-ins that provide a powerful range of photo editing capabilities -- from filter applications that improve color correction, to retouching and creative effects, to image sharpening that brings out all the hidden details, to the ability to make adjustments to the color and tonality of images.
Starting March 24, 2016, the latest Nik Collection will be freely available to download: Analog Efex Pro, Color Efex Pro, Silver Efex Pro, Viveza, HDR Efex Pro, Sharpener Pro and Dfine. If you purchased the Nik Collection in 2016, you will receive a full refund, which we’ll automatically issue back to you in the coming days.
We’re excited to bring the powerful photo editing tools once only used by professionals to even more people now.".

Here you can find the link to the FB post (It's the text above): https://www.facebook.com/niksoftwareinc/posts/10154098212694301?fref=nf

And here the link to download the Software!: https://www.google.com/nikcollection

Hope this can help!
GG

03-24-2016, 11:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really ? Free ???
When was the last time a company would offer their whole line of products for free?
There has to be a catch!
It says "Starting March 24, 2016 ... ", so I guess this could be for more than one day only ?
I am too "chicken" to test the link(s) ...
03-24-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, of course.
I've just downloaded.
Let me install and I'll reply here
03-24-2016, 11:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Thanks. Download is running now.

03-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #5

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Thanks for the heads up. I've downloaded it too.
03-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If you google separately for nik (don't us that link just in case, no offence) then yeah I can confirm that Google has now made Nik free apparently. They're refunding anyone who has bought it.
03-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Looks to me like this might be authentic, great news. Usually if it looks too good to be true it is, but in this case... I bought this a couple of years ago for Silver Efex, very nice piece of software.

03-24-2016, 12:03 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a great suite of software. Does 95 percent of what Topaz does. It was well worth the cost before and now that its free, highly recommended.
03-24-2016, 12:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Downloaded and installed.
Everything works perfectly!
It will install inside your Adobe programs, like Photoshop, Lightroom, Bridge, etc.
03-24-2016, 12:12 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Commenting so I can be reminded when I get home.
03-24-2016, 12:15 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Really ? Free ???
When was the last time a company would offer their whole line of products for free?
There has to be a catch!
It says "Starting March 24, 2016 ... ", so I guess this could be for more than one day only ?
I am too "chicken" to test the link(s) ...
The company in this case is Google, since they've owned Nik for quite a while now. So it is legit -- they never bought it to make money with anyway. Unfortunately, they didn't buy it to keep developing it either as there haven't been any real updates in forever and this is basically a signal that it has been abandoned.
03-24-2016, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In other words, Google is pulling the plug on Nik. I'll download it anyway...
03-24-2016, 01:29 PM   #13
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Will be interesting to see if Google will continue developing the collection or if they got hold of the company only to get the tech - to add it to their Auto Awesome in Google+ or somesuch.
03-24-2016, 01:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The question is why they'd do it. Will we see advertising? Or have they decided to cease development and there won't be any updates?

It just seems rather weird. It's a professional suite of software, why give it away for free?
03-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They already abandoned the desktop version of Snapseed. This is just more of the same. Google is a company with no direction. Just buy buy buy then abandon. They bought Picnik then left most of its features out of Google+ Photo etc.