Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2016, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Windows build for Darktable 2.0

If anyone is interested in trying it, I discovered that a build does exist. It's not the most recent version and I don't know how stable the build is in the long run, but it seems to function.

Partha's Place Download link is down the left hand side.

03-25-2016, 12:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Cool! I've been playing with this for a while on Linux. I still seem to get better end results with RawTherapee. I can't seem to find more demosaicing options like the ones in RawTherapee. Like the green equilibration option that gets rid of the jagged demosaicing pattern at higher ISO & related. I'm probably not looking in the right place. The noise reduction seems kind of tricky as well. It will either smudge everything up or not be that effective. Then again, I have been putting more effort into RawTherapee as well.

If you have some Darktable skills, settings, & related, please share them with us! I want to be able to get some awesome photos out of it too!
03-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 30 HSM
03-25-2016, 01:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Cool! I've been playing with this for a while on Linux. I still seem to get better end results with RawTherapee. I can't seem to find more demosaicing options like the ones in RawTherapee. Like the green equilibration option that gets rid of the jagged demosaicing pattern at higher ISO & related. I'm probably not looking in the right place. The noise reduction seems kind of tricky as well. It will either smudge everything up or not be that effective. Then again, I have been putting more effort into RawTherapee as well.

If you have some Darktable skills, settings, & related, please share them with us! I want to be able to get some awesome photos out of it too!
There is a demosaic module in Darktable which provides options for AMAZE and VNG demosaicing, including colour smoothing and green-matching. Denoising is certainly not the most straightforward in Darktable either, and does often have a somewhat blotchy result up close. Whilst this could possibly be improved in future with the integration of pattern/edge detection, I find that it's only an issue when pixel peeping.

As for tips on using Darktable ... just mess about with it really, and try to get to grips with the masks and blend modes. I've barely grasped the surface of using masks in DT but still often find them incredibly useful.

03-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been using DT for a while now, and am very happy with it.
Regarding denoising, I find the profiled denoise to be excellent if your image ISO matches a value in the data set, but when profile data is interpolated to match your ISO it is not as good, but generally still better than the 'raw denoise'.
Regarding DT for Windows, I have noted that the developers have said they will never support Windows, so a problem with using a 3rd party Windows port of DT that may surface in the future is that improvements may prove difficult to port to Windows.
Cheers,
Terry

Last edited by tduell; 03-25-2016 at 05:58 PM. Reason: added additional info