Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-26-2016, 01:18 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 12345 Quote
You're going to want to keep CPU requirements in mind. I would go for an i7 (quad core). I'm also going to say that you might want to consider making that 16GB of RAM. I have 8 GB, and if I run GIMP along with other programs, I can definitely feel that it gets a bit sluggish. (I also have an i7 processor with hyper threading to make 8 cores)

EDIT: You'll also want to consider the screen/monitor resolution. My laptop had really nice specs when I got it, but one thing that I don't like about it is the poor quality monitor. Nowadays Full HD monitors are the thing, and while they're not a necessity; boy do they ever look nice!
I'm running an ASUS laptop with i7 2.4 processor and 8 Gb of RAM, running Win 10 Pro. My next step is to double the RAM. I work with 64 bit database management software, and it really chokes things up when I create a complicated form (input/edit screen). The screen is terrible on the laptop. You must be absolutely head on to see it correctly and it is only 768 pixels tall. I bought a Dell M2412U (1920x1200). Much better. For photo work, I can work on portrait orientation, and turn the monitor to that way as well.

03-26-2016, 02:12 PM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
It struggles at the moment; I'm not sure it would actually cope with the upgrade. Six years old, 2GB RAM and not more than 10% free space on the HDD. No, thanks; not taking the chance.
Yeah, I'd leave the old system alone. I was talking about the potential new one

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The new one will probably come with it already loaded.