Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Nix HDR EFEX Pro2

Is it possible to take three or more images of the same subject but at different exposures and open them into HDR EFEX Pro2 directly from Apple Photos? Lightroom or Photoshop would not be used it would only be Photos.

03-28-2016, 06:51 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Maybe. I just tried it on Windows with a set of images that I shot with +/- 2 EV exposure bracketing last year, without either Lightroom or Photoshop (I don't have either). I simply started up the app, clicked on "Open Images" from the "File" menu, picked the images, let the plugin process the images for a bit, played with the dials, and then saved the file using the "Save Image As" option in the "File" menu. I found that the "Save" button places the image in some electronic limbo. Hopefully the Mac version has the same functionality.
03-28-2016, 08:12 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't think you can do it out of Photos
iPhoto does not have a connection to the NIK software, I have to go from Aperture, (shared library for iPhoto and Aperture)
NIK software acts like a plug-in but also works stand alone. You should be able to select the images, export them from Photos to a "working" folder and do the work there.
Then re-import the finished image to Photos if you want.
I know not an ideal work flow, but Apple is not being nice to serious photographers, only the selfie crowd.
03-28-2016, 08:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photos doesn't at this time allow opening multiply photos together to edit. Also the Nik suite isn't compatible with Photos and I'd expect it won't be into the future. HDR Efex Pro 2 works great in Aperture and also is comparable with Lightroom etc. I love it, but having moved to photos have had to leave Nik behind. Macphun.com makes some great editing software which has Photos plugins/extensions, well worth a try. They also make a great HDR software, no Photos plugin/extension, Designed with the help of Trey Radcliff you just have too load the photos from outside Photos.

03-29-2016, 07:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have just exported three different exposures of one image to a folder on my desk top and then loaded into Nik HDR. The HDR imported the three images and produced a HDR image that could be adjusted and provided several options for appearance of the image. I then saved the HDR image back to the same folder on my desk top. These were jpeg images. I need to try more images to determine if it is really producing something that is acceptable.
Thanks for all of your help.
03-29-2016, 09:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Been a while since I played with the NIK software, but you should be able to export your original RAW files from Photos, combine and process the RAWs in NIK, then save the resultant file as a TIFF.
That way you should get the maximum possible quality out of an image set.
The adjustments available in the NIK HDR tool are endless and kind of like falling down a rabbit hole,
Hope you have some time to get lost for a while.
I found most of their pre-programed looks too much, but making subtle corrections with the different sliders gave a more natural rendition.
Glad you found a way to make it work,
« Silkypix | Nik Help »