Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

Does LR automatically support the K-3 and Pentax lenses?

Hi All,

I want to get rid of CA from my RAW images and just returned Corel Aftershot. I enjoyed using the program but it doesn't support the K-3, just the K-3II. I discovered this while trying to perform lens corrections and couldn't find the K-3 in the dropdown menu. I have the latest version.

So before I buy LR6, does it have automatic profiles that simply allow me to "one-click" away CA and other lens attributes that I might not like?

Thanks and take care,
Newfie

03-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Newfie Quote
So before I buy LR6, does it have automatic profiles that simply allow me to "one-click" away CA and other lens attributes that I might not like?
Yes it does.

Not sure why you are concerned about the k-3/k-3II though? They would be identical. And in any case would have nothing to do with CA or lens profiles. Though I've no experience with Corel so maybe it is different.
03-29-2016, 06:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think all the DA series lenses are supported, and the FA series lenses that are still in production. If you have older glass like K thru F series, and out of production FA like the FA*28-70 those will not have lens profiles, however Adobe does have a download utility that will let you add profiles that other users have made. It's kind of hit and miss whether a particular lens will have a user-made profile. You can also make your own by printing a test chart, and photographing it in a prescribed manner then feeding those images into a profile generator.
03-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom does not have any Pentax specific camera profiles. But you can buy the Huelight profiles.

Huelight Pentax Camera Profiles

03-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Newfie Quote
I am still on LR 5, but unless LR 6 changed something, applying lens corrections for supported lenses is turned off by default. That being said it is possible to override the defaults. The override may be universal in application or specific for a particular camera and/or ISO setting.

If you wish to retain the defaults, application of supported lens profiles are accomplished by checking a box to enable the feature for the current image.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-29-2016 at 06:59 PM.
03-29-2016, 06:57 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Lightroom does not have any Pentax specific camera profiles.
There is an Adobe Standard profile for the K-3/K-3II with the option to use the embedded profile found in the RAW file. On my system the profile file is at:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.6\Resources\CameraProfiles\Adobe Standard\PENTAX K-3 Adobe Standard.dcp

Steve
03-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
If you have older glass like K thru F series, and out of production FA like the FA*28-70 those will not have lens profiles
Lightroom can only detect lenses that provide a lens model id or a unique lens identifier. As a result, K, M, and A series lenses (i.e. non-AF lenses) are not supported for automatic profile matching. Automated detection by lens model id is somewhat limited, though a profile may be permanently associated with a specific lens unique id if needed. I had to do exactly that with my Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 (C). It is possible to manually associate a lens profile with a non-AF lens and also to include that setting in a preset.

Steve

03-29-2016, 08:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is an Adobe Standard profile for the K-3/K-3II with the option to use the embedded profile found in the RAW file. On my system the profile file is at:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.6\Resources\CameraProfiles\Adobe Standard\PENTAX K-3 Adobe Standard.dcp

Steve
But it is only the Adobe Standard. Canikon has more supported profiles. Pentax forces you to use DCU.
03-29-2016, 08:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Use x-rite color passport and create your own profile. That will be the most accurate.
03-29-2016, 08:40 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
But it is only the Adobe Standard.
There are Adobe Standard profiles for 472 cameras in my Lightroom installation. There are also 156 cameras that are supported with additional "Camera" profiles that correspond to scene/subject/mode. For example the Nikon D7100 supports "Camera Landscape", "Camera Neutral", "Camera Portrait", "Camera Standard", and "Camera Vivid" in addition to Adobe Standard and, presumably, embedded (for file types that support such). Several Pentax bodies have additional profiles, but those are limited "Camera Standard".

So, yes, Lightroom does not provide "Camera" profiles for any current Pentax models.

I guess we may qualify Pentax support in Lightroom by saying that:
  • Adobe has provided camera-specific Adobe Standard profiles for all models except for the new K-1
  • Also supported are embedded profiles from the RAW
  • With the exception of the K-7, K10D, K20D, and K200D, Lightroom does not include additional "Camera" profiles for Pentax cameras
It is my understanding that the "Camera" profiles are provided by the manufacturers to Adobe standards with "Camera Standard" matching that model's in-camera JPEG, but I have no proof.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-29-2016 at 09:03 PM.
03-29-2016, 08:47 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The camera profile, to my knowledge, does not control any CA removal. It defines the overall colour response curve to map RAW data to an initial processing of the image. The lens profiles control any CA removal as CA is related to lenses, not the camera. If all you want to do specifically is remove CA and you have lenses without an Adobe supported profile, then create a Develop preset that sets the Colour Fringing parameters to what you want and apply that either on import or subsequently to single images or selected groups of images. I find quite modest settings generally do the job other than in extreme situations. Quick and easy and doesn't rely on any lens profiles so fine for older lenses.
03-29-2016, 08:57 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It is my understanding that the "Camera" profiles are provided by the manufacturers with "Camera Standard" matching that model's in-camera JPEG, but I have no proof.
Martin Evening gives the subject of Adobe Standard and "custom" camera profiles a fairly thorough treatment in my copy of "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book", pp 284, 285. Sure enough, the "Camera Standard" profile available for some Pentax models and some 152 other cameras allow for a close match to the in-camera JPEG or preview image from the RAW. He also gives a detailed description of how the Adobe Standard profiles are developed and the various challenges involved. I was tempted to transcribe the pertinent paragraphs, but am not that big a masochist.

For those interested in buying the book, he follows with a discussion of how to write your own DNG profile. Very interesting indeed.

Steve
03-29-2016, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Use x-rite color passport and create your own profile. That will be the most accurate.
For Adobe resources related to DNG and Lens profiles...how to make and how to share:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/digital-negative.html#resources

Steve
04-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #14
rfg

Lightroom can only detect lenses that provide a lens model id or a unique lens identifier. As a result, K, M, and A series lenses (i.e. non-AF lenses) are not supported for automatic profile matching. Automated detection by lens model id is somewhat limited, though a profile may be permanently associated with a specific lens unique id if needed. I had to do exactly that with my Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 (C). It is possible to manually associate a lens profile with a non-AF lens and also to include that setting in a preset.

Steve
Can you tell me how you permanently associated the lens profile in Lightroom? My Sigma 17-70 always comes up as a pentax lens for some reason; my DA 15 limited also gets the wrong profile by default. Hadn't realised you can override this permanently, would be great!
04-07-2016, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rfg Quote
Can you tell me how you permanently associated the lens profile in Lightroom? My Sigma 17-70 always comes up as a pentax lens for some reason; my DA 15 limited also gets the wrong profile by default. Hadn't realised you can override this permanently, would be great!
It is easy, but not well-documented. The steps go something like this:
  • Under Lens Corrections, Profile tab, check "Enable Profile Correction"
  • If the "Make", "Model", and "Profile" selections are appropriate, there is nothing to do. If not, continue...
  • Under "Make" choose the lens brand
  • With any luck the "Model" and "Profile" selectors will auto-fill. If not, find your lens model and choose the desired profile. If there is no profile for your lens, you are blocked until you can find one online or make one yourself.
  • Having found a profile, you can set it as the new default for that lens by clicking the "Setup" selector and choosing "Save New Lens Profile Defaults"
Note that this does not change how the lens model may or may not be detected on import. Lightroom pulls that information from other fields.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-07-2016 at 09:55 PM.