Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2016, 09:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
The camera profile, to my knowledge, does not control any CA removal.
Indeed. CA was the issue identified in the original post, before this thread diverted into camera profiles.

And yes, LR6 has 'one click' correction for CA available, especially if it knows about the lens you have mounted. It can also be tuned and tweaked in a lot of ways if needed.

04-09-2016, 09:46 PM   #17
rfg

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is easy, but not well-documented. The steps go something like this:
  • Under Lens Corrections, Profile tab, check "Enable Profile Correction"
  • If the "Make", "Model", and "Profile" selections are appropriate, there is nothing to do. If not, continue...
  • Under "Make" choose the lens brand
  • With any luck the "Model" and "Profile" selectors will auto-fill. If not, find your lens model and choose the desired profile. If there is no profile for your lens, you are blocked until you can find one online or make one yourself.
  • Having found a profile, you can set it as the new default for that lens by clicking the "Setup" selector and choosing "Save New Lens Profile Defaults"
Note that this does not change how the lens model may or may not be detected on import. Lightroom pulls that information from other fields.

Steve
Excellent THANK YOU!!
Both my DA15 limited and Sigma 17-70 always came up as "none" so this is now fixed. On the other hand my two DA-L lenses (35 and 55-300) have always been correctly identified somehow (??).
04-16-2016, 09:26 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
So all we need to do is click remove CA in lightroom ? What other defects can be removed easily in PP ? vignetting ?
04-16-2016, 10:55 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Urnamaster13 Quote
So all we need to do is click remove CA in lightroom ? What other defects can be removed easily in PP ? vignetting ?
Lightroom can remove CA, vignetting and distortion provided there is a lens profile available. The software used the lens profile to make the corrections. Many are available within Lightroom and you can make your own and add them if needed.

04-18-2016, 01:08 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Lightroom will do that for lateral CA and the feature works with all lenses. As for other defects, what do you have in mind. Vignette is fairly easily applied both positive and negative. I have a book by Martin Evening that details everything the program is capable of and the book is not small.

Steve
04-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Lightroom can remove CA, vignetting and distortion provided there is a lens profile available.
The profile (if present) consists entirely of user-accessible features. If a profile is missing, the user can do everything manually if need be and use the results to make their own profile. (Adobe has a profile creation tool available for download.)

Steve
04-18-2016, 01:17 PM   #22

I am curious. In lightroom , it shows camera profile and lens profile. i got the lens profile part. it seems all i have to do i click remove CA if my lens is present. But what exactly does the camera profile do ? is it having any practical difference on my PP ?

04-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am curious. In lightroom , it shows camera profile and lens profile. i got the lens profile part. it seems all i have to do i click remove CA if my lens is present. But what exactly does the camera profile do ? is it having any practical difference on my PP ?
Camera profile affects the color rendition, and dynamic range. It's how your camera's sensor performs, and to a lesser degree the lens, compared to a theoretical standard. If you have a test target like an Xrite Color Checker, you can create custom profiles for each camera/lens combo, or even take it a step further and create a camera/lens/lighting profile (e.g. K-3 + FA77 under florescent lighting). If you don't have a test target, the "Embedded" profile still gets you about 90% of the way toward accurate rendition, and it's vastly preferable to the "Adobe Standard".
04-18-2016, 02:48 PM   #24

Ok thanks, what does everyone prefer for camera profiles ? i am too newbie right now to create my own profiles. i tried both embedded and adobe standard. Not sure which is better to my naked eye.
04-18-2016, 08:03 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok thanks, what does everyone prefer for camera profiles ?
On the k-5 I preferred the Adobe Standard. On the K-3 I felt the Embedded one was better. However, I now have custom ones using the X-rite color checker.

If you are shooting in RAW just change the profile back and forth in Lightroom and see which one you like best. Set that in your import preset and don't worry about it. Honestly, unless you are super picky about color rendition and work with a completely calibrated workflow this is not something I would worry about too much.