Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2016, 11:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nik Help

All of my photos are in dng format and I currently use Lightroom 4. I get on ok with it and the final results are to my liking.

Unlike back in the film days (1970's and 80's) I don't publish anything. I've never even posted anything - not sure I'd know how to. All of my shots are for myself and my family.

I downloaded the Nik freebie on both my PC (Windows 8) and my laptop (Windows 10) and all seemed to go well. During the download Lightroom was identified as the Host.

The problem I've got now is how do I access it? Where is it? I clicked on plug-ins but as far as I can make out it's not there. Am I looking in the wrong place? Or has it downloaded to the wrong place?

I'd be grateful if anyone can direct me to any tutorials, YouTube videos or anything else that would help.

I was far more at home in a darkroom than I am with a computer

03-29-2016, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #2

Hello,
I don't use the plug-ins with LR anymore as I'm perfectly content with LR6 and what it can do. However, as I recall, you can access the Nik modules by launching LR, selecting your photo to work with and then on LR menu, you select Photo>Edit In> and then you will see a list of the Nik modules to use for further modification. Finally, after editing with NIK, you'd save your work and your edited photo will be sent back into the LR Develop module. Perhaps, give that a try?
Brgds.

Last edited by Davidparis; 03-29-2016 at 11:58 PM. Reason: I can't type.
03-30-2016, 12:53 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
David is perfectly correct. photo>edit in> various plugins
03-30-2016, 02:49 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nik doesn't work on RAW files, but on a TIFF file that lightroom will create. My work flow is to do some general edits (bump shadows, burn highlights, clone out anything weird) and then you right click on the photo and under "edit in" you will see the various nik programs (Color Efex, Analog, etc). Pick one and then it will create a TIFF copy, export the file and when you are done in the Nik program you click Save and it will send it back to Lightroom.

The one exception is HDR Efex, where you pick your files you want to create an HDR from, right click on them and under "Export" you will find HDR Efex Pro.

03-30-2016, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Nik doesn't work on RAW files, but on a TIFF file that lightroom will create. My work flow is to do some general edits (bump shadows, burn highlights, clone out anything weird) and then you right click on the photo and under "edit in" you will see the various nik programs (Color Efex, Analog, etc). Pick one and then it will create a TIFF copy, export the file and when you are done in the Nik program you click Save and it will send it back to Lightroom.

The one exception is HDR Efex, where you pick your files you want to create an HDR from, right click on them and under "Export" you will find HDR Efex Pro.
Yep, that's what I do.
03-30-2016, 04:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks very much guys. I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.
03-30-2016, 04:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimD Quote
I'd be grateful if anyone can direct me to any tutorials, YouTube videos or anything else that would help.
here's a link to manuals and youtube videos (scroll down a bit and you'll find them)

Nik Collection Manuals

03-30-2016, 06:35 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Nik doesn't work on RAW files
Not so, I load DNG files in PS CS6 or (SC3) go to "Filter" > "Nick Collection" and when the work is done "save as"TIF or JPG. Works every time.
So Nik does works with Raw files.
03-30-2016, 06:51 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Not so, I load DNG files in PS CS6 or (SC3) go to "Filter" > "Nick Collection" and when the work is done "save as"TIF or JPG. Works every time.
I don't use it with photoshop, so not familiar with that. With Lightroom, it does not work with RAW files.
03-30-2016, 11:03 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Works that way in PSE13 also. So, that's another negative to stay clear of LR, for me.
03-30-2016, 01:36 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
But your PS is doing the RAW conversion first, Schraubstock.
03-30-2016, 02:02 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In PSE, when I use a plugin, I then have to merge down the layer attached, then I can save it as .jpeg. Otherwise it wants to save as a copy and I have to chose to save as jpeg otherwise it tries to save as .psd.
03-30-2016, 08:14 PM   #13
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
In PSE, when I use a plugin, I then have to merge down the layer attached, then I can save it as .jpeg. Otherwise it wants to save as a copy and I have to chose to save as jpeg otherwise it tries to save as .psd.
PSE doesn't support 16 bit processing though.. that is the negative of it. Which is why I tend to do most of my work in LR through the Nik plugins, THEN go into PSE if I need to do any healing or other options (since it will convert the image to 8-bit at that point).
03-30-2016, 10:43 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But your PS is doing the RAW conversion first
Yes of course
03-30-2016, 11:08 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
All working as you described. Thanks again.