Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2016, 06:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

DxO Optics Pro support for K-S2

Just in case anyone is interested, I just noticed that DxO is now showing that the K-S2 will be supported around 7/2016.

see: Supported cameras | www.dxo.com

Michael

03-31-2016, 08:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would think there would be no difference between the k-s1 profile and the k-s2. I tried to check out dxo but without the profile I wasn't allowed. Topaz let me.
04-01-2016, 07:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I would think there would be no difference between the k-s1 profile and the k-s2. I tried to check out dxo but without the profile I wasn't allowed.
That's right. DxO's profiles are different than anyone else's: each profile is for a specific body + lens combination. Clearly to DxO "something" is different between the K-S1 and K-S2 sensors even though we mere mortals assume it "must" be the same. Still good news for us.

YMMV

Michael
04-01-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Someone needs to post some DxO PP'd photos that explain why I need their software. They probably get more free advertising on tis site that anyone but Pentax, yet, I've never seen any evidence that they do anything I don't do using my 3 year old unsupported version of Aperture.

Maybe someone needs to start a thread for DxO PP'd photos. DxO sample images or something like that. Personally I don't get the attraction, but then, I have no idea where I'd find some images to look at, that would define why I'd use their software.

I definitely don't care what the software creators who know how each function was designed can tweak out of an image. I want to see if ordinary Joe's can figure it out.

Most of us don't care what they claim they are doing. All we care about is the results we get using it, and honestly, that has been incredibly lacking for something that is talked about so much.

I mean really... Apple doesn't even support Aperture anymore, yet they put out updates to their supported cameras for every new camera out there on a regular basis, and no one reports that. And yes they do a custom profile for each camera. They just do it, they don't announce it 5 months in advance. Why is DXO worthy of this kind of attention?

As far as I can tell the only reason DxO has to make announcements like this, is that they are about a year behind everyone else at releasing profiles for new cameras, if they do them at all.

I'm sure DxO will say their profiles are more comprehensive. Others might just feel they are complete slouches. A small company struggling to play with the big boys.

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Last edited by normhead; 04-01-2016 at 08:09 AM.
04-01-2016, 08:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Someone needs to post some DxO PP'd photos that explain why I need their software. They probably get more free advertising on tis site that anyone but Pentax, yet, I've never seen any evidence that they do anything I don't do using my 3 year old unsupported version of Aperture.
The software is free to download and try for 30 days. That way you can form your own opinions. I've been using DxO for nearly 7 years now and initially it wasn't all that much better than ACR for just "RAW processing" but the lens corrections are and always have been better than anything else I have found available by others. In the past few years their RAW processing has surpassed ACR (IMHO) and thus I no longer use ACR anymore.

I've done my own due diligence and I'm convinced that it is a top-notch product worthy of its price. I have no interest in trying to sell anyone -- I'd rather they come to their own conclusions with their own images and style taken into account.

Michael
04-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Yet you continue to flog their wares on the forum as if they should be important to everyone.

Taking my time to download and learn a new piece of software is a considerable commitment to make if there's no pay off at the end. As far s I'm concerned lens correction is a perfect example of creating a market for something that doesn't need to be done. The human eye isn't corrected, we don't see the world through corrected images, and it's not something we are used to.

Really... "DxO Optics Pro support for K-S2" . They should support the site financially for having announcements like that made. Fine that you like them. I think they are a bunch of snake oil salesmen.
04-01-2016, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yet you continue to flog their wares on the forum as if they should be important to everyone.
Clearly you have an agenda. And I'm ok with that. Nobody ever suggested that this thread "was important to everyone" (those are your words). Rather, the idea was that it might be good "for somebody" on our forum -- even if it is just 1%. That's all. No need to get your knickers in a twist! :P

Michael

Last edited by MJSfoto1956; 04-02-2016 at 08:18 AM.
04-01-2016, 10:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

But is it anybody? Does anyone who owns a K-s1 responding?

I just see the posts when I browse new posts, they do occupy space on the page, and I think "who the heck is that for?" And so far the only thing you've done is irritate me as far as i can tell, was it worth it? Why?

I'm not the one with the agenda here. I'm just tired of seeing the DxO mentioned every time they lift a finger over there. If every one of us does the same with our favourite piece of software, the forum "new posts" function will be returning an endless stream of commercial non-sense.

I'm suggesting you might want to be a little more discriminating in what you post... and perhaps try and be sure it has relevance to at least one other person before you post it. hell, i doubt this is even relevant to you.

Just a few suggestions.

04-01-2016, 10:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
But is it anybody? Does anyone who owns a K-s1 responding?
Well you could have given it 24hrs before jumping in with your diatribe. Perhaps somebody with a K-S2 might eventually respond! :P

Michael

P.S. there are plenty of people who chat endlessly about the software they use on this forum. You are being disingenuous in the extreme. You simply are one of those people who have an axe to grind against DxO and are rationalizing your rude behavior.
04-01-2016, 10:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I might add: if you really think it to be a good idea, why not contact DxO to see if they would advertise here? I mean, this forum is clearly an ideal place for them to advertise their wares. Additionally, there is nobody here who has an axe to grind against them. And they never get anybody on this forum calling them names or anything like that. Right? I would think they would jump at the chance to advertise here. (NOT)

Michael
04-01-2016, 10:24 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Clearly you have an agenda. And I'm ok with that. Nobody ever suggested that this thread "was important to everyone" (those are your words). Rather, the ideas was might be good "for somebody" on our forum -- even if it is just 1%. That's all. No need to get your knickers in a twist! :P

Michael
thank you for your post. many use dxo, and as a new ks2 owner, this is relevant to me.
04-01-2016, 06:05 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rbelyell Quote
thank you for your post. many use dxo, and as a new ks2 owner, this is relevant to me.
SO where are all those DxO images to impress the rest of us? I've done more for DxO keeping this post on the top of the new posts page than most of you have done showing us what the big thing is about the product you own.
04-01-2016, 06:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
SO where are all those DxO images to impress the rest of us? I've done more for DxO keeping this post on the top of the new posts page than most of you have done showing us what the big thing is about the product you own.
No point arguing with someone who has an axe to grind -- you will find fault no matter what is presented.

Michael

P.S. The majority of my portfolio is done with DxO if you bothered to even do the most basic kind of search.

Last edited by MJSfoto1956; 04-01-2016 at 06:56 PM.
04-01-2016, 10:03 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Just in case anyone is interested, I just noticed that DxO is now showing that the K-S2 will be supported around 7/2016.

see: Supported cameras | www.dxo.com

Michael
Thanks, been waiting for that announcement. I have DxO and it works well with my K3 images, glad to hear I can extend its use.
04-02-2016, 08:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yeee haw! There are at least three of us on this forum that use DxO!

M