Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2016, 07:56 PM   #1

Best iPad viewing app?

I can't believe this but I'm struggling to find a simple app to display my photos on my iPhone / iPad properly. I hope that someone here can help me. When someone asks me about my work I just want to be able to quickly show them examples on my i-device in the best light possible.

I have the following issues with the apps that I've tried:

1- the standard Apple app doesn't resize to full-screen properly. It only takes one dimension into account meaning that I often find that images have been cropped because the photo has been maximised to fit say, the width only, leaving the height cropped;

2- I've tried PhotoMgrPro, it solves the above issue, but it only imports photos into one folder and then expects me to re-organise all my photos. On my host computer I have my photos organised into folders. I then sync those folders with my iPhone / iPad. The standard Apple Photo app maintains that folder organisation, but PhotoMgrPro doesn't;

3- just getting the above two issues solved would be great but if possible, I'd also like to be able to set the background colour to either white or black so as to match the bevel colour of my i-device.

There are dozens of photo apps with a large number of sophisticated functions but I've not been able to find one that does the above simple tasks properly.

04-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Apple's Photos works fine for me, often leaving black bars top and bottom. Likewise Google Photos. Are you tapping and zooming inadvertently?
04-06-2016, 06:08 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you tried Lightroom mobile?
04-06-2016, 07:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by the_ether Quote
I can't believe this but I'm struggling to find a simple app to display my photos on my iPhone / iPad properly. I hope that someone here can help me. When someone asks me about my work I just want to be able to quickly show them examples on my i-device in the best light possible.

I have the following issues with the apps that I've tried:

1- the standard Apple app doesn't resize to full-screen properly. It only takes one dimension into account meaning that I often find that images have been cropped because the photo has been maximised to fit say, the width only, leaving the height cropped;

2- I've tried PhotoMgrPro, it solves the above issue, but it only imports photos into one folder and then expects me to re-organise all my photos. On my host computer I have my photos organised into folders. I then sync those folders with my iPhone / iPad. The standard Apple Photo app maintains that folder organisation, but PhotoMgrPro doesn't;

3- just getting the above two issues solved would be great but if possible, I'd also like to be able to set the background colour to either white or black so as to match the bevel colour of my i-device.

There are dozens of photo apps with a large number of sophisticated functions but I've not been able to find one that does the above simple tasks properly.
What software are you using to process your photographs originally? I assume the origin of that work is either a Mac or Windows system? You should be able to format the jpg outputs at the resolution for the longest side being 2048 (x1536). Before Lightroom Mobile (which I find to be an easy, valuable solution), I would use LR to create a .pdf slideshow of a portfolio, upload that to Dropbox and then download that from either the Documents or GoodReader apps on my iPad. You can still do that, if not .pdf files, then .jpg files.
Or, you can do a free webhosting service like Flickr and use that to show off a set of shots on your iPad.

M

04-06-2016, 10:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the various responses. In reply...

- I should elaborate on the problem with the Apple Photo app. When I tap once on an image it gets resized to full screen and when I swipe right to get to the next image in the folder, it too is full screen. However, each is cropped in one dimension (if its dimensions aren't optimal). If I then double click, it zooms in so that the image is now heavily cropped in both directions. If I then double-click a second time, it zooms out to full screen but this time there is no cropping. The image is correctly full screen. I do not have the same issue with the PhotoMgrPro app.

As an example, an image that I have the above problem with is 3,264 x 4,896 in size and the issue occurs in landscape mode. The Photo app. zooms in so that the width fills the screen but which crops the height (when viewed in landscape). When viewed in portrait, the app again zooms to fit the width but of course the height is not cropped because there is still plenty of screen real estate.

In other words, Photo app. only considers the width of an image when zooming to full screen when entering what I guess is called presentation mode. But when double-clicking twice to get full screen, the app considers both the height and width of the image so as to avoid cropping. Thus if I was scrolling through a bunch of photos, for each one I would have to double click to zoom right in and then double click again to zoom back out to the correctly sized full screen mode.

- No, not tried Lightroom Mobile. I will do in due course. Thank you for the recommendation.

- For images for my website I resize to a max of 2048 x 1536 but when downloading to my phone I normally use the original, larger image so that I can zoom in if I want to. There is no point in me also using Dropbox or another web-hosting service and then only being able to access them if I have a signal. I'm quite capable of storing what I want on my phone by syncing the folders where I store them on on my Mac. I then have nicely organised folders on my phone / iPad. I just need an app. that works properly to display them.
04-06-2016, 11:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

This is what photos does on my iPad. Notice the black bars. There is no cropping.

What version of iOS do you have?
Attached Images

04-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

And here's another example

Attached Images

04-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I have seen this too on my iPad Mini on various iOS versions. It doesnt seem to happen on all images just some so I'm not sure what size it crops. I store my images in the cloud using Microsoft Skydrive drive and they all appear norm using they're app.
04-06-2016, 07:47 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I'm using iOS 9.2 but the problem has been there for a while.

Looking at your examples, the images don't appear to have the right dimensions to exhibit the problem. As I stated, the Photo app. only uses the width of the image to stop zooming (at least on the initial zoom), rather than both width and height. In your landscape example, the height of the image appears to be too small in relation to the width. In the example I gave, my image was 3,264 x 4,896, i.e. the height is greater than the width. So for me, in landscape the top and bottom gets cropped. (And note my previous comments about double tapping twice before I can get the right results.)

In your example of the trees and water, the width of the image is bigger than the height and so the height doesn't get cropped.

Try taking your trees image and rotating it in say, Photoshop or Lightroom before saving it again and then loading it onto your iPhone / iPad.
04-07-2016, 07:24 PM   #10

Original Poster
I've just tried Lightroom for iPhone and it has the same problem as other apps I've tried: I have to manually create new folders in the app and then import photos into each of those folders. It's a pain. On my Mac, I have the photos already arranged in folders. When I sync my phone with my Mac, those folders get imported onto my phone and the folder structure remains. That means that if I add / subtract a photo from a folder on my Mac, it gets updated on my phone automatically when I sync. But using Lightroom for iPhone I must manually re-create folders and then manually select and import from the phone's Photo app. If I add / subtract a photo on my Mac I will then have to manually update the corresponding folder in Lightroom.
04-07-2016, 08:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the_ether Quote
I'm using iOS 9.2 but the problem has been there for a while.

Looking at your examples, the images don't appear to have the right dimensions to exhibit the problem. As I stated, the Photo app. only uses the width of the image to stop zooming (at least on the initial zoom), rather than both width and height. In your landscape example, the height of the image appears to be too small in relation to the width. In the example I gave, my image was 3,264 x 4,896, i.e. the height is greater than the width. So for me, in landscape the top and bottom gets cropped. (And note my previous comments about double tapping twice before I can get the right results.)

In your example of the trees and water, the width of the image is bigger than the height and so the height doesn't get cropped.

Try taking your trees image and rotating it in say, Photoshop or Lightroom before saving it again and then loading it onto your iPhone / iPad.
The post above that (#6) is portrait orientation.