Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2016, 06:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How Do I Uninstall/Deinstall RawTherapee from Mac

I'm tearing out my hair on this because no search string on Google or PF gives me the answer. I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard -- no, I'm not going to upgrade) and tried RawTherapee but didn't like it. While I might give it a try again in future, now I want to manually uninstall/deinstall/get rid of RT and can find no help to be sure what files/docs to look for. I've ditched the application itself but can't find any preferences, caches, or other files. Any ideas from Mac folks?

04-07-2016, 06:29 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Drag the app from the Applications folder to the trash. Click on the Finder menu, click Empty Trash. That's it. No need to trash anything else.

If you really want to get rid of the cache

Open Terminal. Type cd .cache

ls

rm -r RawTherapee4.2

The config files live in .config

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 9.36.51 PM.png
Views: 980
Size:  17.1 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 9.38.11 PM.png
Views: 1019
Size:  29.1 KB

You can do it in the Finder by using Go To Folder in the Go menu. Just type ~/.cache etc.

Last edited by boriscleto; 04-07-2016 at 06:40 PM.
04-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ahhh, so there is a hidden file. Thanks so much, Boriscleto.
04-07-2016, 08:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You can do it in the Finder by using Go To Folder in the Go menu. Just type ~/.cache etc.
Worked a charm. Thanks again!

04-08-2016, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I use Finder to remove applications and their additional files.
04-08-2016, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #6

There's no uninstall routine like in Windows. Just putting the application into the trash works well enough.

But I use AppCleaner to find all these little configuration, library files and whatnot. They're usually rather small and shouldn't get in the way, but I like it tidy.
Just drop the application you want to remove into it and you can delete it, and everything associated with it, in one go. Has served me well for years.

/edit: oh, since you deleted the application already the cleaner won't be of much use. But next time, maybe.
04-08-2016, 03:49 AM   #7

There is an app called AppDelete which has worked pretty well for me. http://www.reggieashworth.com/appdelete

Moving an unwanted app into trash works well enough most of the time, but AppDelete will also find associated files that just moving an app into trash leaves behind.

It also has an option to search for bits left behind from previous uninstalls and lets you decide which you want to delete.

Last edited by percy; 04-08-2016 at 03:51 AM. Reason: add link
04-08-2016, 04:30 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

AppCleaner was able to find 2 extra files, but it did not find the .cache and .config folders.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 7.26.42 AM.png
Views: 883
Size:  48.0 KB

The problem with apps like this is that they don't know to look for files in the places that a ported app like RawTherapee stores their files.
04-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
I use Finder to remove applications and their additional files.
Thanks for this Rodney. I didn't think to look for package contents - duh. I saved this doc for future reference, much appreciated.

QuoteOriginally posted by Undot Quote
There's no uninstall routine like in Windows. Just putting the application into the trash works well enough.

But I use AppCleaner to find all these little configuration, library files and whatnot. They're usually rather small and shouldn't get in the way, but I like it tidy.
Just drop the application you want to remove into it and you can delete it, and everything associated with it, in one go. Has served me well for years.

/edit: oh, since you deleted the application already the cleaner won't be of much use. But next time, maybe.
Thanks for the pointer to AppCleaner, which I'd not heard of, and which might be very useful to me in future. I also like it tidy!

QuoteOriginally posted by percy Quote
There is an app called AppDelete which has worked pretty well for me. AppDelete by Reggie Ashworth

Moving an unwanted app into trash works well enough most of the time, but AppDelete will also find associated files that just moving an app into trash leaves behind.

It also has an option to search for bits left behind from previous uninstalls and lets you decide which you want to delete.
Much appreciated, Percy. I'll check into AppDelete, too.

---------- Post added 04-08-16 at 03:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
...The problem with apps like this is that they don't know to look for files in the places that a ported app like RawTherapee stores their files.
That's why I like to uninstall manually if possible.
04-14-2016, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The problem with manual uninstalls is that you have to know what to look for, and it can be less than obvious. Maybe there's a BOM, maybe not. Appcleaner is a neat little utility, basically a search tool. I use it to find stuff even though I don't really see much need to delete caches and a few k's in a config file. More useful for troubleshooting IMHO.

And be careful: sometimes an application will use frameworks, libraries, or other items that are shared with other applications. Don't go deleting those.

Other handy tools for this are Find Any File and EasyFind; both search completely (i.e. they don't use Spotlight indexed searching). Yeah, Terminal will do this too, but these have handy GUI's.
04-14-2016, 12:16 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
The problem with manual uninstalls is that you have to know what to look for, and it can be less than obvious. Maybe there's a BOM, maybe not. Appcleaner is a neat little utility, basically a search tool. I use it to find stuff even though I don't really see much need to delete caches and a few k's in a config file. More useful for troubleshooting IMHO.

And be careful: sometimes an application will use frameworks, libraries, or other items that are shared with other applications. Don't go deleting those.

Other handy tools for this are Find Any File and EasyFind; both search completely (i.e. they don't use Spotlight indexed searching). Yeah, Terminal will do this too, but these have handy GUI's.
Thanks for this, Rob, especially the bit about frameworks, libraries, etc. Easily could end up with a problem deleting something used by other applications. Thanks also for the tip on FAF and EF.