Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2016, 10:00 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Will Lightroom 3.6 work if I update from Snow Leopard to El Capitan?

Hi -
Can anyone tell me if my Lightroom 3.6 will run if I upgrade my operating system from Snow Leopard to El Capitan? I have a late 2008 aluminum MacBook and recently increased Ram from 2 - 8 Gb of memory and a Solid State drive from OWC.

I've searched for an answer to this question on various forums, but so far no luck. (Forum discussions are focused on newer versions of LR.) Hoping someone can help me out.

Thank you
Bob

04-15-2016, 10:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I think so,
OS X El Capitan: Working & Not Working Apps | MacRumors Forums
That said, you should strongly consider upgrading LR, at least to version 4 which introduced very significant improvements in many aspects, especially the rendering engine.
I don't think you will lose any data, so you should be able to tell fairly quickly if LR is fully functioning.

I just completed the same OS upgrade on my wife's Macbook Pro and things are working just fine, though I prefer the look and feel of Snow Leopard over the flatter ElCap. A lot more iCloud in this version too for better or worse. . .

M
04-15-2016, 10:38 AM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blueberrybob Quote
Hi -
Can anyone tell me if my Lightroom 3.6 will run if I upgrade my operating system from Snow Leopard to El Capitan? I have a late 2008 aluminum MacBook and recently increased Ram from 2 - 8 Gb of memory and a Solid State drive from OWC.

I've searched for an answer to this question on various forums, but so far no luck. (Forum discussions are focused on newer versions of LR.) Hoping someone can help me out.

Thank you
Bob
LR 6 works with El Capitan. I'm a new user of LR and started at this point.
I purchased LR 6 at B&H for apps $120.00.
04-15-2016, 11:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/system-requirements.html#mainLightroom3systemrequirements

So it should work. But probably not well, especially if you're using a newer camera.

04-15-2016, 12:20 PM   #5

i think it ran,but i didn't use it extensively. i understand not wanting to pay money to upgrade. i only reluctantly upgraded to lr5 because it was free with a camera.
04-15-2016, 02:09 PM   #6
mee
Pentaxian

The Process Version changed going from 3.x to 4.x (https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/using/process-versions.html)

For that reason alone, I'd highly recommend an upgrade to a 4.x or better version of LR. It should convert your 3.x catalog to the new rendering Process (confirmed as I went from 3->4 several years ago) with no hassle.
04-15-2016, 10:21 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I really appreciate everyone's responses! Especially since, for me, computers are the most confusing and least favorite part of digital photography today.

Looking at system requirements, it appears my MacBook doesn't have enough video RAM to run LR6. (It requires 2 GB, mine only has 256 MB.) I would *need* to move to a more recent operating system for LR5. I could run LR 4 with what I've got now.

It appears that I can download either LR 4 or 5 from adobe... Correct? I purchased LR 3 - so am I correct in my understanding that I'll pay the upgrade price instead of the full purchase price?

I think this is what I'll do: Upgrade to El Capitan, download LR 5 (hopefully for the upgrade price). Then return to what I prefer - trying to take better photos with my K-5iis and Ricoh WG-M1.

Thanks again everyone!
Bob
04-16-2016, 01:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I wouldn't update to elcapitan..... unless you had a specific reason..... I did and noticed a significant slow down of my 2008 iMac.... (have SSD and 8g ram)...... I'm going to go back to Mountain Lion or Mavericks soon.

I use LR5 and DXO 10.,,,,Mountain Lion is good enough for these

Last edited by noelpolar; 04-16-2016 at 01:14 AM.
04-16-2016, 04:15 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mavericks and El Capitan do add some demands to earlier MacBooks, but, depending on what your needs are, and how much effort you're prepared to put into optimising your system, they may be worthwhile. Having said that, my MacBook is a 13" Pro from 2009, so it's probably a bit more powerful than your 2008 MacBook. Minimising apps running in the background is probably essential, but the biggest issue I had was with legacy startup items that didn't play well with Ink - switching it off solved that. Anyway, CS3 worked well with El Capitan on my MacBook Pro, if that helps.
04-17-2016, 09:39 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your computer hardware is at the cusp of obsolescence I'm afraid. At least in terms of using modern software.

I'd suggest you install the software (system and application) on a partition first and try it out. You might get a streamlined system and workflow going that would work acceptably. It's a big pain to restore to an older system, while if the El Cap partition doesn't work out just nuke it.
04-17-2016, 09:43 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blueberrybob Quote
Looking at system requirements, it appears my MacBook doesn't have enough video RAM to run LR6. (It requires 2 GB, mine only has 256 MB.) I would *need* to move to a more recent operating system for LR5. I could run LR 4 with what I've got now.
I highly doubt your MacBook only has 256MB of RAM. You MacBook uses 256MB of shared RAM to run the graphics system. 2008 MacBooks usually came with 2GB RAM installed and could be upgraded to 6 GB (8 GB installed, 6 GB could be addressed).