Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2016, 05:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

silkypix not reading dng files

Hi all and thank you in advance for any insight.
After having the new camera (k-50) for a year and sticking with jpeg files and using fast stone for cropping and some minor editing I wanted to see what shooting in raw and post processing could do. Of course my windows based computer does not have a disc drive so I downloaded version 3.0 of silkypix. I want to see if the difference is worth the investment in something like lightroom and thought this would be a great place to start. Unfortunately, after much excitement I tried opening the folder with the dng images from today and it does not preview any of the files. Then tried opening a single file and it told me it couldn't open an unsupported file. Ugh, what am I doing wrong? I downloaded the manual and it seems like the files should have opened, just like they do in faststone.
Did I download the wrong version, do I need to use the disc that came with the camera? Or is there a step I am missing? Thanks for any help.

04-17-2016, 06:03 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure why it is isn't working. You could grab a FOSS package, like Rawtherapee to open your DNG files...at least to see that everything is as it should be.
An alternate approach, if you don't mind the command line or console, is to install dcraw. It will allow you convert to 16 bit tiff, with a lot of options.
And finally, (or firstly) have a search on the forum re K-50 software, and see the stories about having a correctly named file on a card to allow proper installation of a non-disc copy of the software.

Cheers,
Terry
04-17-2016, 06:25 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
Not sure why it is isn't working. You could grab a FOSS package, like Rawtherapee to open your DNG files...at least to see that everything is as it should be.
An alternate approach, if you don't mind the command line or console, is to install dcraw. It will allow you convert to 16 bit tiff, with a lot of options.
And finally, (or firstly) have a search on the forum re K-50 software, and see the stories about having a correctly named file on a card to allow proper installation of a non-disc copy of the software.

Cheers,
Terry
Thanks Terry. Luckily I shot in both raw + today because of course I wanted to see how things came out, and must of known I buggered something up. Funny thing is faststone is able to show me both the dng and jpeg files, so I know they came out ok,or as ok as my skill allowed today :-)
I have read of the benefits of PP and wanted to give it a go. Didn't see much difference using faststone, hence trying silkypix (or trying to). I am sure it is something silly that I have done or missed. Tried searching and will continue to using your suggestion, maybe I will find the answer. Maybe I should try another free software....
Thanks again
04-17-2016, 07:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If Silkypix is being a pain, and you want to get a feel for playing with RAW, download a copy of DxO Optics Pro or Capture One Pro or, of course, Lightroom.

DxO and C1 have free trial versions available, as does Lightroom CC.

The FOSS options are also good - RawTherapee in particular.

04-17-2016, 07:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Since you said something about Lightroom, why not download the free trial of Lightroom?

I think there is also a free trial of Paintshop pro too.
04-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by remark13 Quote
so I downloaded version 3.0 of silkypix
v3.0? Are you sure you did not install the Panasonic-only version? Current version is 7.0.

https://silkypix.isl.co.jp/en/

Steve
04-17-2016, 10:44 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The free trial of Lightroom would be the way I would suggest. I ran into problems with Silkypix going back and forth between the version that worked with my Pentax Q raw files and my K-50 raw files. I don't remember if I ever got it working. After going to Lightroom, I have not had any problems. If you try it but don't want to subscribe, then you can search for a free or low cost product that has the features you liked in Lightroom.

04-17-2016, 11:12 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You may have a version that doesn't support the file type of your camera

I lost patience with silkypix when the the version that was supplied with my K30 opened the K30 DNG files but would not open my K20D PEF files, ... what, so now I need 2 versions of silkypix installed, one for PEF and another for DNG, imo forget it, it's not that great anyway! imo you are better off with software that works with all hardware types & brands, you never know what's down the road.

btw by default faststone diplays the embedded jpeg thumbnail from the raw file so the jpeg & raw files look exactly the same ( but fast and good for sorting), you need to set it to display the real raw file - then it takes a bit longer to load
04-18-2016, 05:40 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Many thanks all.
I am pretty certain I probably downloaded the wrong version; especially after reading how it can be so camera specific. It seems that I may be better served looking at other free trial or free software to try and see if it something I will use often enough to invest the time and money into...I mentioned Lightroom as it seems to be the go to program, but I am open to suggestions. Being completely new to this user friendliness would be nice, noise reduction, sharpening and area specific detail recovery would be a great place to start. Of course I have no understanding of these programs capabilities are and if I am over or under with the possible expectations.
Cee Cee thanks for the faststone explanation, I was starting to wonder what all the buzz about PP was or if I was really that hopeless in this regard.