Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2016, 08:53 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Should I worry then ?

Well, that pre-sharpening just undoes the fuzziness of the filter, but you still have your 'normal' sharpening to do.

Whatever amount that is ... we now enter the realms of aesthetics.

There might be expectations that a landscape is as sharp corner to corner as you can get away with, a flower should be sharp but the background an indistinguishable cream of watercolours, etc etc.

04-19-2016, 07:34 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Download the free Nik Collection https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

Then take the free class on NIK tools Nik Collection | GreyLearning

If you are just getting started its really a great set of tools.
Yep, I did that.
Looks good to me .
Thanks.

---------- Post added 04-19-16 at 10:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, that pre-sharpening just undoes the fuzziness of the filter, but you still have your 'normal' sharpening to do.

Whatever amount that is ... we now enter the realms of aesthetics.

There might be expectations that a landscape is as sharp corner to corner as you can get away with, a flower should be sharp but the background an indistinguishable cream of watercolours, etc etc.
Great.
Now it's time to go out there and take some more shots.
I'll return with some pics.
04-19-2016, 07:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I would denoise during RAW to JPG conversion (much cleaner) and then do sharpening only in the resulting JPG file. I use Silkypix for RAW file conversion (it does a nice job in default recommendation) and then sharpening applied to the JPG file when it is imported into LR (for final touch and watermark).
04-19-2016, 08:25 AM   #19
Veteran Member

As stated earlier in the thread sharpening and noise reduction are two sides of the same coin.

It is likely if you are chasing the utmost IQ that you will be stepping from one to another to refine the effects of both as each global adjustment has an effect on the other.

Adobe LR and ACR interface design gives a clue to how they suggest you operate i.e. starting at the top of any module and working down (not written in stone!).

Therefore you may want to start with sharpening first. And imo you should also be using the masking (and mask preview) to restrict the sharpening to image edges only without affecting other image data.

Next tackle NR, unfortunately this does not have any masking to restrict the effect therefore you may need to revisit and tweak your sharpening parameters. Or, use an adjustment brush to selectively apply sharpness where appropriate

04-21-2016, 04:42 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In LR it doesn't matter whether you sharpen or denoise first.
04-23-2016, 07:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member

In general sharpening should always be the last step of any workflow.
04-23-2016, 07:41 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
In LR it doesn't matter whether you sharpen or denoise first.
What he said, though it is probably easier to work the image visually if you denoise before you sharpen.

Steve