Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2016, 12:18 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Aftershot Pro users? Help

I really like Corel products and have used Paint Shop Pro for years. I guess it goes with being a Pentaxian. I don't necessarily use what everyone else is using. The price point was a big factor initially, but now I just prefer it. HOWEVER, processing RAW files in PSP is SLOW, so I have been using AfterShot for initial adjustments and conversions. Again, been very happy with Aftershot, but lately it crashes and freezes a lot, and half the time it won't recognize files it just worked with a few minutes prior. Very frustrating! In a moment of frustration I went to Adobe to get a free trial of Lightroom and after 20 minutes of screwing with that website, being sent in loops that never end with a download (unless I click on "buy"--interestingly, that was the only link that would work), and looking at the enormous price tag, I am feeling cornered.

What I need is either some serious support from Aftershot (which doesn't seem to exist) or a recommendation for something better. I hate to make the switch because I have all my lenses in, all my presets made, but seriously, do I need a new computer, or is this program just that unstable? Thoughts?

04-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OhioAngie Quote
Lightroom... looking at the enormous price tag...
Photoshop CC with Lightroom CC is $10/Month. Thats not really enormous.

QuoteOriginally posted by OhioAngie Quote
...but seriously, do I need a new computer...
You didn't tell us what computer parts you have.
04-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I use ASP, my first thought is to uninstall and reinstall, sounds like somethings corrupt. Here's a link to the ASP forum

Corel USER to USER Web Board ? View forum - General Questions & Getting Started
04-18-2016, 07:23 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and that does fix it--for a time. As I browsed some forums today, I think it is probably related to the age of my PC. However, I did finally get the lightroom free trial to load and it is much more stable. The user interface is very similar between the two, but after using Lr, I am very impressed with the file management aspect--Aftershot's catalog system is odd--nothing more than a thumbnail system really. So now, either way it looks like I will be making an investment--either in new software or a new computer. I was super frustrated today because I was working under a deadline and things were not coming together.

---------- Post added 04-18-16 at 07:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Photoshop CC with Lightroom CC is $10/Month. Thats not really enormous.

You didn't tell us what computer parts you have.

I misread the website, thinking that the monthly rate was $49.99, but that was for everything

04-19-2016, 08:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aftershot Pro is a great software from the functionality point, in my opinion. I love the presets, including the free ones that people have created for it, and I love how easy it is to get around and do what I want to do, quickly... unless it crashes or hangs. Which it does - a lot. And I'm still on version 1, version 2 is supposed to be even worse. Unfortunately Corel is doing themselves no favors with how they handled this product since they bought it. I'm old enough to remember how Corel was a top of the line company in the early 90s. If they fix this and start adding support for new cameras again, I might get it when version 3 comes out - if it ever does. If not, it looks like I'll have to look for something else soon. Which is a shame, because I do like the results I get from Aftershot.

It even hangs and freezes all the time when handling K10D files, and it is worse with .JPG than with raw files. So you now it's the product itself that has issues. It's a lemon at this point, basically.

I got mine for free on an Amazon special... I guess I still got more than I paid for
04-20-2016, 06:49 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Aftershot Pro is a great software from the functionality point, in my opinion. I love the presets, including the free ones that people have created for it, and I love how easy it is to get around and do what I want to do, quickly... unless it crashes or hangs. Which it does - a lot. And I'm still on version 1, version 2 is supposed to be even worse. Unfortunately Corel is doing themselves no favors with how they handled this product since they bought it. I'm old enough to remember how Corel was a top of the line company in the early 90s. If they fix this and start adding support for new cameras again, I might get it when version 3 comes out - if it ever does. If not, it looks like I'll have to look for something else soon. Which is a shame, because I do like the results I get from Aftershot.

It even hangs and freezes all the time when handling K10D files, and it is worse with .JPG than with raw files. So you now it's the product itself that has issues. It's a lemon at this point, basically.

I got mine for free on an Amazon special... I guess I still got more than I paid for
I'd have to agree with you. And I love the Perfectly Clear plug in. Great noise reduction! I've used Corel PSP for many years and have no interest or need for any other photo editor. But that's for pics already "developed." I'm using Aftershot Pro 2 for RAW and when it works, it's absolutely top line. But it crashes, hangs and can't find files-- a lot. Sometimes a reboot fixes, sometimes I have to do a total reinstall. Who has time for that? And their support--a pretty big joke. Even the forums are useless. Rooms are filled with people complaining and almost no solutions posted. No training either. So its their games to lose at this point, they could make it great if they wanted. I've been using my Lightroom trial for 2 days and I hate having to learn a new process, but so far I am very happy. So $120 a year versus free is the downside--mine was free with my K3--but in the long run, saving on time and the frustration factor are worth the cash.
04-21-2016, 06:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
120 a year is too much for me. That's about what I paid for my DA 16-45 I'll probably play around with RawTherapee, but since I'm not under commercial pressure* I've been just working with Aftershot Pro until I find I can't use it anymore. Or they make a new, stable version, that would be ideal.

* Meaning, I don't do pictures for money... so no deadlines.

04-21-2016, 06:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have another suggestion to you
From same Corel web you can buy very cheaper
Several Topaz plug in filter
I did before and they work great
After short in my new very fast computer win 10
Work very poor constantly crash or not respose even