Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2016, 03:03 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
finding and eliminating duplicate photos

Hi,
a quick backstory.. my laptop was involved in a car accident back in December. Luckily my backup program had most of my photos on a separate 3TB drive. And also luckily I could recover everything else off the old hard drive after a fair bit of time and expense.

My problem now is that in the process I often seem to have 2 or 3 versions of each picture in Lightroom v4.4 Is there any plugin or add-on that can look through your photos and find actual duplicates and highlight them so that duplicates can be removed?

I'm not looking forward to perusing 30,000+ images in lightroom and eliminating them all by hand.... I also found that some photos were never imported - which I fixed easily by finding that directory in the back up drive and importing it... but now I'm wondering how many more were missed and trying to decide if I try to import again will it be successful in *not* importing more duplicates...

04-22-2016, 03:18 PM   #2
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the duplicate file finder in Glary Utilities when I accidentally do that.
04-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
do you happen to know if it will find and eliminate photos that are duplicates but named differently? the file recovery software did some interesting things when recovering my photos... namely some files have strange additions to their names... like imgp5956.ld_48858988619.pef when the original is imgp5956.pef... same file but the recovery software added additional stuff during the recovery process
04-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mholford Quote
if I try to import again will it be successful in *not* importing more duplicates...
It should not import duplicates if you have "don't import suspected duplicates" checked. However, that assumes the files are named the same. If you have versions that are .dng, .jpg and .tif LR will import them as different files. There is an option to treat .jpg and RAW as the same file but I'm not sure what that does at import. Also, you might have the same file but with slightly different names if you do any re-naming on import or at any other time.

Here is a plugin that should work. I don't have this plugin but I have used other plugins from the author.

04-22-2016, 03:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
It should not import duplicates if you have "don't import suspected duplicates" checked. However, that assumes the files are named the same. If you have versions that are .dng, .jpg and .tif LR will import them as different files. There is an option to treat .jpg and RAW as the same file but I'm not sure what that does at import. Also, you might have the same file but with slightly different names if you do any re-naming on import or at any other time.

Here is a plugin that should work. I don't have this plugin but I have used other plugins from the author.
That plugin looks exactly like what I'm looking for... Thanks! finding duplicates based on EXIF data... will see how the free trial works and decided if it's going to be worth the investment (which thankfully isn't that big)
04-22-2016, 03:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've experimented with the free trial download of Duplicate Photo Finder, but I've not really put it through its paces.

Last edited by EssJayEff; 04-22-2016 at 03:47 PM. Reason: typo
04-22-2016, 04:26 PM   #7
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mholford Quote
do you happen to know if it will find and eliminate photos that are duplicates but named differently? the file recovery software did some interesting things when recovering my photos... namely some files have strange additions to their names... like imgp5956.ld_48858988619.pef when the original is imgp5956.pef... same file but the recovery software added additional stuff during the recovery process
Nope, it will only find files of the same name and size.

04-22-2016, 05:01 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

The free version seemed to work... so I've invested in the full version... has found 12,000 duplicates in my 40,000 photos... (which includes both original and duplicate - so actually less, but since some are triplicate....)

Now I just have to wade through them all and reject the dupes.

Still way faster then checking all photos...

Thanks!
04-22-2016, 05:06 PM   #9

Try DuplicateCleaner Free.

Duplicate Cleaner - Find Duplicate Files

You can filter by file type (extension), dates, path etc. Check for duplicates by content (MD5 checksum), date, size, ignore name, same name, similar name.

There are options on to delete or move duplicates, how to filter them (all but one, keep latest, earliest, path etc.).
04-22-2016, 05:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

A quick search on the web and this.

8 Best Free Duplicate Photo Finder Software

I have never used any of these, But the price is right, free.

Hope this is what you're looking for.
Closed Thread