Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2017, 08:26 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, I think the curved screen is more of a gimmick feature than anything else. I haven't seen many curved monitors but the stores are full of curved HDTV's. It's starting to show up on smartphones too. My old eyes just don't see any benefit. I'm sure a believer will chime in and try to convince me otherwise.

I'm currently using an LG IPS 1920 x 1080 monitor. At the time I bought it, it was the nicest looking monitor on a whole wall of monitors at our local Best Buy store. That's the way I buy monitors. I see what I like and buy it. To be real honest, photos and video look pretty good on both 1080 and 4K to my eyes but I also read a lot and the difference in text clarity is noticeable.

07-05-2017, 09:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Personally, I think the curved screen is more of a gimmick feature than anything else. I haven't seen many curved monitors but the stores are full of curved HDTV's. It's starting to show up on smartphones too. My old eyes just don't see any benefit. I'm sure a believer will chime in and try to convince me otherwise.

I'm currently using an LG IPS 1920 x 1080 monitor. At the time I bought it, it was the nicest looking monitor on a whole wall of monitors at our local Best Buy store. That's the way I buy monitors. I see what I like and buy it. To be real honest, photos and video look pretty good on both 1080 and 4K to my eyes but I also read a lot and the difference in text clarity is noticeable.

I think those curved screens and tv's are more for preference then anything. I own one and absolutely love it more then the old flat screen i had before. Although i forget that the tv is curved sometimes, many people i know say the same thing on not realizing it is curved, i feel like it gives a slight 3d pop to the movies i watch on it.

07-05-2017, 10:29 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Curvature reduces the "field of view" of the reflections off the screen
If you are getting excessive reflections from your screen then there are workspace design issues that need to be addressed. Facing a window when working with a PC, or having your back to a window is probably the worst design choices for any workspace. Though this depends upon the design of the room, the positioning of the windows and how much light they bring in from the sun or artificial sources.

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Personally, I think the curved screen is more of a gimmick feature than anything else.
I'm inclined to agree with you. I have seen some arguments that curved screens address the issue of colour accuracy and provide improved screen illumination in the corners with larger screens, but IMO the best solution to this if it is so critical: it to simply sit back further. Most IPS panels have very good colour accuracy even when viewed off-axis, and as for corner illumination - if you cheap out on your monitor you should expect uniformity to be compromised : more expensive monitors generally have fewer issues with uniformity.

Last edited by Digitalis; 07-05-2017 at 10:37 PM.
07-06-2017, 05:34 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
If you are getting excessive reflections from your screen then there are workspace design issues that need to be addressed. Facing a window when working with a PC, or having your back to a window is probably the worst design choices for any workspace. Though this depends upon the design of the room, the positioning of the windows and how much light they bring in from the sun or artificial sources.
Indeed! And in an ideal world, one would change the room to correct these issues.

But if the workspace has windows on three walls and a wife that loves the views and all the light they bring in, then a curved monitor is both cheaper and martially smarter than changing the workspace.

07-06-2017, 07:17 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I went from 1080 to 1440 and I was pretty amazed at the look of the images. I have used 4K a couple of times to edit at a friends house and its a pretty big jump. You can really see the effects of you sharpening and small contrast adjustments. When I edit an image on my system and then edit the same image on hers I end up with different adjustment levels in LR. My system can't currently run 4K, so an upgrade is in the works. I need a little more horse power to handle batch processing the K-1 files and a better graphics card to handle 4K.
07-06-2017, 07:55 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Indeed! And in an ideal world, one would change the room to correct these issues.

But if the workspace has windows on three walls and a wife that loves the views and all the light they bring in, then a curved monitor is both cheaper and martially smarter than changing the workspace.
This is actually a pretty good example of buying what works for you. My workspace is in a corner of the bedroom has one window and if need be, I close the blinds. I worked evening and night shifts for over 20 years and needed to sleep in the day so the room can quickly become very dark if need be.

While a curved screen may very well solve a reflection problem in certain lighting, marketing people tend to to think everybody needs one. I really don't think I do and there's no way I'm going to pay any kind of price premium for a feature I don't think I need. If curved screens become the standard with no price premium attached, then I won't care. As I mentioned earlier, I buy monitors based on what I see in store displays. I'll probably be getting 4K or better with my next computer.