Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2016, 07:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Monitor calibration: What am I doing wrong?

New IPS monitor: Dell P2714h
New Spyder5Pro

Video card and monitor set at default settings.
Monitor and Colorometer allowed to warm up for 30mins before calibration.

I follow the instructions and when calibration is done, everything is very warm. Warm isn't even the correct term here. Orange would be more appropriate. Skin tones are not far off from The Simpsons. The actual google page is far from "white" and looks burnt.

During the calibration, it asks me to put the colorometer on the desk so it can get a reading of the light in the room. I've done this multiple times in the middle of the day with the curtains closed, in the morning with the curtains open, and at night in total darkness. Everything still looks too orange to me.

Also, during the calibration, it says to set the monitor at 6500K. I don't have a choice to set that exactly. Instead, I am given Standard, Cool, Warm, Game, Cinema, and Custom. Cool, Warm, or Cinema makes the monitor look worse. Game over-sharpens everything and looks very bad as is. I believe Custom is the same as Standard, except that you can change the values in Custom. I've gotten my best results with Standard and Custom, and those aren't that great looking.

What am I missing or doing wrong?
(Spyder2 Express did a much better job.)

04-26-2016, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

It could be a dud like my 1st Spyder4 was. Can you send/bring it back for a replacement?
04-26-2016, 07:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
It could be a dud like my 1st Spyder4 was. Can you send/bring it back for a replacement?
That's kind of the feeling I am getting. I'll have to send it back to Adorama.
04-26-2016, 08:59 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have Spyder4, a Dell 2007 WFP IPS Monitor that is getting on in years. I am a bit puzzled by the instruction to place the colorometer on the desk so it can get a reading. My device asks to suspend the colorometer over the display under normal lighting conditions as you would use during processing. No bright window light no harsh light falling directly on the display.

04-26-2016, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Use 'standard' as that is usually the closest to 6500k.
04-26-2016, 09:42 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I am a bit puzzled by the instruction to place the colorometer on the desk
I was puzzled by that also. rOckstarr, are you sure it didn't say Desktop, which would be your monitor? That would be more accurate. I have the Spyder4 pro also and that's what it said in the quick start guide.
04-26-2016, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Apologies, but I assume that you used the device to measure ambient light for the initial reading and then the software instructions has you placing it on the screen for the remaining processes. That's how my i1 DisplayPro 1 works. For the ambient light reading you have to engage an diffusion cover that gets flipped aside when you hang it off the screen. If this is how it is going, then consider using alternate software. I ditched the i1 software for the much more precise DisplayCal software that relies on the Argyll CMS engine.

M

04-26-2016, 10:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I have Spyder4, a Dell 2007 WFP IPS Monitor that is getting on in years. I am a bit puzzled by the instruction to place the colorometer on the desk so it can get a reading. My device asks to suspend the colorometer over the display under normal lighting conditions as you would use during processing. No bright window light no harsh light falling directly on the display.
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I was puzzled by that also. rOckstarr, are you sure it didn't say Desktop, which would be your monitor? That would be more accurate. I have the Spyder4 pro also and that's what it said in the quick start guide.
See page 26.

http://spyder.datacolor.com/s5-beta/spyder5-users-guide-beta.pdf

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Apologies, but I assume that you used the device to measure ambient light for the initial reading and then the software instructions has you placing it on the screen for the remaining processes. That's how my i1 DisplayPro 1 works. For the ambient light reading you have to engage an diffusion cover that gets flipped aside when you hang it off the screen. If this is how it is going, then consider using alternate software. I ditched the i1 software for the much more precise DisplayCal software that relies on the Argyll CMS engine.

M
Yep. Exactly like that.
04-27-2016, 03:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I got it. There was a button to change the default settings for the calibration. I was overlooking that button every time. Just didn't notice it, as it only appears on one page. I turned off the part that measures the light in the room, then re-calibrated. It looks so much better now.
04-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
See page 26.
Different gadget from mine and I didn't get a full manual, just a quick start guide. Yours is even differently shaped. Mine is the Spyder4pro and yours is the spyder5.